Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Beginner September 2022 Ontario

Wedding Planner

Taylor, on December 14, 2020 at 18:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4
Hello everyone!!

I'm looking for advice and opinions on the topic of wedding planners. We are officially within a year of our wedding date and knowing me, I suspect I will be fairly stressed trying to make decisions and finalize decor options and a wedding planner is sounding more and more appealing. That said, we have already booked most of our major vendors so I'm not terribly concerned with having someone attend any of those meetings, also we have a "day of coordinator" included with our venue so I'm not sure if there is any point in hiring a wedding planner for the things I need, or if the service even exists.
I'm essentially in need of someone that can help me bring my vision to life and take over the decor entirely as I'm not the most creative person, but that's just about the only thing I need them for.
Does anyone know if this is a service that exists and if so, is it worth it? Or will a day of coordinator essentially take care of that?

4 Comments

Latest activity by Linda, on December 30, 2020 at 14:37
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The Day of Coordinator is enough to take care of your vendors and the work needed for your day. A suggestion of a printed layout with all the tables and set up for him/her to ensure all is going into the right place. Your vendor information is also a good idea to provide to get in touch if needed to contact. The venue should have a coordinator that can work with them in case they have questions of the set up and needing anything from them in case its not done. It would be best to find out from you venue who is the Wedding Coordinator.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check with your venue about their coordinator as most of the time, they will only deal with logistics regarding their own operation. If you're getting decor and furniture from the venue itself, they'll help set it up. If you're bringing in linen, cutlery, furniture, decor etc from external sources, they won't set it up but will be on site to ensure whoever does will do things according to their house rules (ie making sure no tape on the walls or floors are covered before a massive load in with tables and risers etc).

If you need someone solely for decision making on decor, I don't think you need a wedding planner. Most decorators will be able to guide you to a decision based on a series of factors (budget, what are your colours, season etc). Many will also prepackage a set for you at a fixed price so there's not a bunch of decisions to be made.

That being said, depending on how complicated your timeline is, you may want a wedding coordinator not from the venue to help you run your day. This person keeps you on time, makes sure all vendors are where they're supposed to be at, and helps with setup/take down on things not related to the venue (ie packing up leftover favours, paying vendors their cheques).

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my fiance and I, we've hired a day of coordinator where she'll be taking care of all of the set up of our decorations the way we want it for ceremony and reception. Our venue is setting up everything else. So tables, chairs, linens, plates, glasses. Our day of coordinator is also helping us with the timing of when we walk down the aisle and when we enter for our reception.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are decor companies that I think will do this exact thing for you. Day of coordinators are there to execute your vision and get everything set up and running smoothly, rather than help you come up with the creative parts. But I know my coordinator offers some sort of in-between services that might be what you're looking for. I'm sure there are others that do that as well. You could see if your coordinator is willing to help you or if she'll do some of that additional work for an extra fee.

It's also worth checking with your venue what exactly the coordinator is there to help with. I've heard from others that coordinators that come with venues are sometimes just there to liaise between you and the venue and make sure the venue is running smoothly, rather than actually coordinate all the vendors.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics