Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Monique
Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan

Wedding Party Questions

Monique, on May 25, 2019 at 20:36 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

Hello guys I've been engaged for 3 months but there are a few things that I'm not sure about:

-how did you decide who your bridesmaids were? Right now, I've picked a friend I've known for 6 years but I'm stuck on the other 2. My other 3 choices are my friend for 5 years who i am quite close to, my friend for 4 years and we're fairly close and my friend for 9 years who I've lost touch with this year, due to a bit of a fallout and awkwardness last summer

-for seating plans, we have a wedding party of 8, including my FH and I. Is it only the wedding party that sits at the head table, or should their dates sit with us? We are inviting about 60 people so I'm worried that it would look weird if there was a head table of 14 and 45 guests at other tables

16 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 27, 2019 at 13:55
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Pick your sister!! yeah I'm excited about our plan. I've never been to a wedding where the couple sat alone but we thought ya know what... we wanted it to kind of feel like a date. we will probably still face the room but it's nice that it will be just us.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As to who to ask: if you really can't decide to weed someone out, you could always have 4 and your FH 3 - That's actually what we are doing since I couldn't decide between 2 and I didn't want my FH to feel like he needed to ask someone he isn't close with.

I'm still trying to decide if I want the wedding party at the head table, and if I do, it would be just them - no dates. If I go with the sweetheart table, the wedding party will sit at a separate table together, with their dates. Brother and FH's sister are in the wedding party but if we do the sweetheart table, they'd sit with the parents and their dates.

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're right, I've been looking at it wrong. Really, I'd like my sister to be with me. Right now she's a junior bridesmaid because she's 11 but I should have her be my third bridesmaid. As much as I love my other 2 ladies, I'm not as close to them. I like that table plan it's different from most setups
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also think people really feel like you and your partner should have the same amount of people in their party so it looks better. I guess if you are dead set on having your wedding and everything uniform then I get it.. but just because he has 4 doesn't mean you need 4 as well.. I really strongly feel like you shouldn't pick spaces to fill..

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As far as who, that's a decision you will need to make. hard to really give advice for that.. but I wouldn't start with a number and then try and fill it.. think of the people and you have less than you wanted oh well. It's quality not quantity.

as for seating.. we are sitting alone. we wanted an intimate dinner just the two of us. so we have a bridal party table and then a family table with our parents sitting right infront of us.

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your insight, I like the idea of our parents sitting at the front with us
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had 72 guests and 4 wedding party. We only chose the closest people we knew and that would be there to support anything that we needed done. Having as many as you want is up to you and whom you want.

As for the head table, there isn't anything wrong with how many you want to sit though its mainly only the wedding party. Alternative is to have the wedding party with their families/significant others at the table to be complete than apart. Keep it simple to a sweetheart table for the both of you.

I have seen the parents or families of the bride/groom sit at the head table if that's an option you like to take upon.

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think there's anyone else he'd want to ask. We talk as though nothing happened, when we do talk, but in the past 8 months whenever we would hang out as a group, she would leave early to spend time with other people, which she did not do before. Even though we don't talk much, I don't want to lose her as a friend

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Choosing the wedding party: is there any way your FH can add one more so that you can ask all of your friends? Otherwise I would say to use the criteria of who you talk to the most, if you do really want to ask your friend that you had a falling out with - do you talk like as if nothing happens or not at all? I have a friend that we just simply lost touch - but with that being said, she no longer knew me as I was now that I'm with my FH where his friends who have become mine do. I chose my sister as my MOH, a friend from work, friend from HS, my FH's cousin who we are super close to, and one of the Best men's girlfriends who I get along with and want to be closer to. I chose to look forward. I can't say for sure if either would be in my life forever but I went with who would I want to be friends with going on. I've already almost lost the other but I would just hate to lose the other.

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's why I've chosen the bridesmaid I asked last weekend haha, she's so chill and supportive. One of my friends is more "tell it like it is" which is great for reality checks but not thw most supportive haha. I think we'll go with the dates sitting at the other tables
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's good advice, it solidifies one of my choices thank you
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When it comes to selecting your wedding party you want people who you have a good relationship with, and most likely who will not create drama lol. we have our siblings in our wedding party (my sister and 3 future sister in laws.) FH has his brother, and 2 brother in laws. And my brother. It made it way easier for us.
    For seating arrangement it is really up to you. Usually the wedding party just sits at the head table, and then dates at a separate table. Or a sweetheart table and everyone in the wedding party at a table with their dates!
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only have my MOH who I’ve been friends with since the end of 8th grade.
    It really can down to “who would I call if things were going sideways in my marriage and would help and support me through those rough times.”
    She and my mom are the only ones. That’s how I chose my wedding party.
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies! I thought I read somewhere that dates had to sit at the front haha

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just chose my sister. I don’t have many close female friends, and I didn’t want to have any drama in my wedding party with the ones I do have. My FH chose his brother as best man for the same reason.

for seating, dates typically do not sit with the couple at the head table. It’s up to you - you can have a sweetheart head table where it’s just you and your partner and have your party sit at tables with their dates, or traditionally, your party sits with you and the dates sit at their own tables.
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can't help with selecting the wedding party, but as far as the head table goes, tradition is usually to have the wedding party sit with the couple, but not their dates. I'd stick to that, or go with what many couples do and have a sweetheart table (just the two of you) up front and let the wedding party sit with the rest of the guests and their dates.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics