Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katie
Frequent user June 2023 Ontario

Wedding party - Odd numbers?

Katie, on December 6, 2021 at 21:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Hi there!
I just got engaged and just been thinking of the wedding party. Have many of you had or are going to have an odd number of bridesmaids and groomsmen? And thoughts on this?

Also, I’d love to ask my very good friend who lives in New Zealand to either be a bridesmaid or my MOH. Do you think that’s too much pressure to put on her? She would plan to come early so could do a bachelorette close to the wedding. Also thinking of my other friend who lives in BC (I’m in Ontario), so my wedding party won’t be in the same province haha. I might ask another couple girls but brings it back to my first point. My FH would have about 2 on his side, and don’t want him to just pick people for the sake of it.Sorry this ended up being a long question! HahaThanks!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 11, 2021 at 12:21
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every couple is different in the way you choose your wedding party numbers. Even or odd all works out end of the day.

I have had cousins who had even numbers as much as 2 MOHs in that case as they had different styles for them to wear from the bridesmaids. I will be attending a wedding next April in Cancun whom the couple have odd numbers and they are fine with it and that being mostly family.

We had only one each of MOH and BM (Best Man) for each side to keep simple.

• Katie
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome, thanks Smiley smile
  • Katie
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much!
  • Katie
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Amazing! Thank you so much!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Uneven numbers between the two sides have been a thing for a while. Not weird at all.

As for asking people to be a part of your bridal party and the pressure for out of towners, as long as you set expectations that they're willing to meet, there's no harm. A bachelorette close to the wedding would be fine but expecting them to physically join you on a number of pre-wedding events would be pushing it. But if they do decline, don't take it personally.

Since one of them is in New Zealand, I would use an online retailer for their bridemaids dresses, especially if you're particular about colour/styles matching. This way they can order based on their own measurements and get it altered locally as opposed to the person in New Zealand trying to coordinate all of that with your local David's Bridal or something. And with online retailers, they can do it at their own time.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm also only having my MOH stand up for me

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Even prior to getting engaged, I've been anxious about my wedding party as I don't have alot of close friends. But after thinking about it, I am only going to have my MOH and my FH will have 3 total groomsmen. I'd rather only people who mean alot to than people just to fill a spot. So I really see no problem with having off numbers in your party.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think there is anything wrong with having an odd number for your bridal party! Anything goes these days!

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Katie,
    Congratulations 🥳 on your engagement. Welcome to WeddingWire! I don’t think anything is wrong with odd numbers, maybe you can ask the bridal party what they think, if they won’t walk down with anyone down the aisle. 🤷🏽‍♀️ But if that works for you, it’s your wedding and ANYTHING you want can fit nicely. Haha!
    Wishing you all the best in the planning! So exciting! 👏🏾👏🏾🥳
  • Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Katie - this is funny... I'm in an almost identical situation! I have 5 bridesmaids and my fiancé has 7 groomsmen. We haven't totally figured out the procession but we'll likely have the groomsmen walk on their own and then the maids walk on their own, and it won't look wonky. We're also having only our siblings (2 on each side) stand with us, and the rest of the bridal party will be seated in the front row, so the uneven number won't really be noticeable.

My best friend and bridesmaid is in Ireland. She's amazing and taking the entire month of June to come home and be a part of the wedding festivities. I am currently in BC, and the rest of the party is in Ontario right now, so we've been planning from afar. I've attended bridesmaids dress fittings via FaceTime and it's still been fun. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics