Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Wedding Party

Holly, on April 3, 2018 at 13:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
So the wedding is 14 months away, I'm starting to look at different options for the wedding party attire. We live in a different province so both of us are unable to go shopping with our parties. So I am trying to figure out a deadline for them. My fiance and I will probably go looking and dresses and suits for them to get an idea this summer so around the 1 year mark or a bit later. So I'm thinking of having them all have their attire by the 6, 5 or 4 month mark, which do you think is good for them to buy it before? and then they can have all their alterations done a month or so before the wedding.

My side of the wedding party is 90% on board with everything. My one bridesmaid is a little iffy but she's going through a lot right now so her attention is usually elsewhere. Although she is very good with deadlines so when I figure out the wedding party attire deadline then I know she will be good for that. However I have zero confidence in the groomsmen. For my girls they get to pick their own dress just with the guidelines I give them. For the groomsmen we were going to go with same colour obviously but a bit of a mix look so one with a vest, other with suspenders etc.. but I seriously have absolutely no confidence in any of them other than the best man to get this done. There is one in particular who's gf is way too controlling and I worry she will get in the way of this. My fiance hasn't thought I'd this but he knows how this one gf is. So I'm thinking my fiance and I pick the suits for each one, set it up to have them delivered directly to them individually and have them pay us. If they don't pay us then they don't get ordered and they can't be in the wedding party, is this fair? I mean they will have about 6-8 months to give us the money before the deadline.

So do you think the deadline I picked is reasonable? Do you think is picking for the groomsmen then sending them after they pay us is reasonable?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on April 3, 2018 at 23:56
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We put the MOH and best man in charge of keeping the wedding party in line when it comes to their attire and they were both on board with that. Is this maybe an option for you?
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your plan if you do that either, I'm just a fan of delegating at this point in my planning Smiley tongue
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the other ladies that it depends where you’re getting them from? Our groomsmen are just renting and they were told not to go in until this month so about 4 months before to order. Does the best man live near the other groomsmen? Can be round them up for you? If not ordering for them will most likely make you feel better! I think as long as you pick something that is reasonably priced what you’re planning is a good idea!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I told my girls to have their dresses ordered by January to give them ample time to get alterations done if needed. We ordered online so the production times were about 6-8 weeks, possibly longer, depending on how busy they were. They got them all by the end of February giving them a lot of time to fit in or get alterations. The guys were told that they had until no later than April to order their attire from Moore's, otherwise they wouldn't have the products in on time for them.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think your best bet is to check for times needed by stores or online shops to get the dresses done! David's Bridal has varying timelines based on different dresses which is a bit of a hassle but easy to avoid any issues with some research!

I think having the bridesmaids start within a year of the wedding is very reasonable! And should leave 6-8 months to order/do alterations!

The guys are a bit easier as if they're renting a suit its a much quicker/easier process!

• Ludvis
    Ontario
    Ludvis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think depending on where you go or order from for attire will help decide a deadline.

For the girls, if you are going to a shop then some may want to get around the 6-8 month mark so they can do alterations and such, however, if you are ordering online, check the reviews for websites and see how long it takes for orders to come in. But you may want them to all order at same time since colours change online with seasons etc.

For the guys, you guys can look for rental companies that are based all over (Moores). Most companies are really good with deadlines. I know my Bestfriend is getting married and used them and they told her the dates they need to come get sized and then estimate pick up date etc and reasonable price.They also have it where they could come

Overall, having deadlines is the best thing especially if in different provinces. Then you can make sure everyone is on same page and keep the planning under control.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics