Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elisabeth
Newbie August 2017 Quebec

Wedding officiants

Elisabeth, on February 9, 2017 at 15:37 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 11
Hi,
I'm currently looking for a wedding celebrant. Someone who can speak English well?
I heard about marriage a bras ouvert and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest someone.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Leah, on February 12, 2017 at 17:10
  • Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I applied to have a designated Officiant. We applied early October and she was approved Oct 26th 2016. OUr wedding is April 2017. I highly recommend it. All the guidelines on the rules to followed are on the website. It is free to designate someone. There is a $54.75 filing fee at the courthouse to file all the documentation after the wedding. Our designated officiant is bilingual so our ceremony will combine both English and French

http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/formulaires/mariage/celebrant-a.htm

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh good!! That is so awesome
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Elisabeth! Welcome to the community! Smiley heart You can take a look at our vendors in Quebec: Wedding Officiants Montreal I'm sure you'll find one who meet your criteria! You can also join us in these discussions in the community for ideas: Who will be walking you down the aisle?

In what city will your ceremony take place?

Civil, religious or symbolic ceremony?

What type of ceremony are you having? Will you write your own vows? Smiley smile

• Tina
    Devoted February 2018 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes we made sure he got all the paper work done it took just over a year. We made sure the course he took was good in Ontario. He is affiliated with a church. It was something he had always wanted to do and he loved the idea of it.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/generale/celebrant-a.htm
    Lots of good info, they don't have a list of names but once you find someone you can enter their name to make sure they are authorized.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh good! That's cool

But Tina, if you're getting married in Ontario you should still look into things

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's always different in Quebec. Anyone can officiate your wedding but you have to apply for it 3 months before your wedding. They can accept or reject your application.
    It's probably best to go with a professional unless you are certain your application will get approved.
    The pastor of my fiancé's old church is marrying us. He is a family friend. He officiated my brother in law's wedding also.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Tina, did you check all the laws on having a friend? In Ontario it has to be a licensed officiant or JOP or church leader. The courses take years and they have to be affiliated with a church... it's quite an extensive process (and not cheap, we looked into it). It's very complicated in Canada to do this. You should really really triple check they have all the certifications, you wouldn't want to find out after you send in for your marriage license that the ceremony wasn't legal
  • Tina
    Devoted February 2018 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ask your venue they might have a list of prefered vendors. Or you could ask a friend that is what we did. He went online did the course just for us.
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can look through Wedding Wire's vendors. They have tons of officiants that are reputable.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can't recommend anyone specific in your area, but I found my officiant through my venue. Venues often have lists of prefered vendors that they can recommend, maybe they have a recommendation for you?

Another great option is bridal/wedding shows! There are usually at least a few officiants there and you can ask them whatever questions you have on the spot.

Hope that helps Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics