Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

Civil, religious or symbolic ceremony?

Emilie, on January 31, 2017 at 11:05 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 12

Hey lovely couples!

There are different ways to officialize your marriage! Which one will you go for? Smiley smile

Civil, religious or symbolic ceremony?

Civil, religious or symbolic marriage?

Image: Nova Photography

12 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 8, 2018 at 22:03
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Civil marriage was our choice.
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Technically I think our ceremony is civil as we are hiring a regular officiant but it does have many wiccan/pagan elements to it.
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours will be a civil ceremony. I have been working on our ceremony for a few months. I'm using bits and pieces from the internet and from our officiant and things that I wrote. I really love it so far!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Beautiful! Thats what I want...only the Gord and Melissa spin!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The passing of the rings was definitely one of our favourite parts! We went back and forth with our officiant a couple times so he could get to know us and make our ceremony very "us." The first version was beautiful but it could have been about anyone and we wanted everyone to walk away from the ceremony saying "That was so Sam and Collin!"

We did a slideshow before the ceremony and I think that everyone liked it! (It was so hard not to be in there seeing everyone's reactions!) It started off with baby photos of Collin and went chronologically and then we did mine and then we did pics of us together and made sure to incorporate ones of us and our guests as well.

Our officiant started off the ceremony by telling "our story" of how we met and our first date. Not everyone necessarily knew it and there were lots of laughs and smiles so it was a great way to start. He did a section called the "intent of marriage" which basically said "why do we get married?" and talked about love. He added things into it like love is about fostering our love of Disney and how love is giving each other space, so Sam can read a book and Collin can watch sports. Little things like that! And a lot of our guests when we asked them what their favourite part of the wedding was said that they loved our vows, which surprised me. We wrote our own vows and I knew that they would be meaningful to us but I was suprised how much other people enjoyed them as well. There wasn't a dry eye in the house!

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Religious with personal touches!
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be having a religious ceremony and adding our personal touches.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Smiley smile what sorts of changes to you make to the traditional?

I am feverishly re-writting the template guide the officiant sent us. And then I'll pass it on to FBIL who can touch it up to things he is comfortable saying. I'm really excited about it....and you know I'm stealing your ring warming to add in there Smiley winking

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Us too! I love when weddings are personalized to the couple.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Civil for sure. And very personalized!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Civil ceremony for us as well!

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be having a civil ceremony that has very personal elements that represent us as a couple and a new family Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics