Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan

Wedding Nails

Jessica, on June 8, 2018 at 12:41 Posted in Beauty 0 15

So my wedding is in two weeks and I booked an appointment to get shellac nails as I've heard its a nail polish that is hard to chip. My issue is that my nails are fragile and break easily. I was thinking of acrylic or gel but I heard they destroy your nails.

Has anyone here gotten shellac nails before? What was it like? are they as sturdy as people say?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Gabbie, on June 14, 2018 at 08:58
  • Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! I tried to take it off myself and destroyed my nails, now I let the salon ladies do it for me and I have not have any issues since.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have the same problem with shellac! I love them since they do look perfect for the day-of (and are great for weak nails), but I totally agree that they peel off after a week.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have tried shellac before and I think it is a better alternative to gel or acrylic nails as they are more damaging to the nail bed.

• Alissa
    Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Shellac is great for most people and doesnt chip! But! I was unaware that I have "oily nailbeds" and I cant get a shellac manicure to stay on more than a week without peeling off completely clean. Acrylics are my go-to, they do weaken the nails significantly but if you want a perfect set that wont get ruined for your big day, the nails will recover fast enough
  • Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love shellac! It is the best! Lasts me almost 2 weeks and makes your nails thicker and stronger while it's on so less prone to breakage! I would recommend getting it professionally removed after. Also after using it for a bunch of months straight I start to see my nails weakening and becoming brittle so I'll take some time off and just let me nails be natural and they always recover.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love shellac- especially during times im entertaining/special occasions! they also dry faster than reg. polish- it's cured under UV/LED light.

make sure to give your nails a break now & again.
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Shellac is awesome and really does make your nails stronger because it’s thick but flexible so it supports your nails. My nails grow waaay longer when they’re shellacked. It’s badicslly just strong, flexible nail polish. Highly recommend it. I’ll be getting my nails shellacked the month before the wedding to keep em growing long and pretty
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Powder dip manicure is soooooo difficult to find in at least Ontario.
    I live in a border city. Been searching for 2 years to find a place that has it 😐
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get shellac done and find durable and protective. Last usually up to 2 weeks. Also getting them done for my wedding. I dislike super long nails and I need to put in contacts and I do a lot of hands on things on a daily basis. So shellac works well.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The absolute best "no chip" manicure is the new powder dip manicures (like SNS manis). They are almost impossible to chip and last 2-3 weeks, but you will see the color start to grow out as your nails grow!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Shellac polish will only set under their UV light, so you'd have to get a regular polish in a matching colour for touch ups.

I haven't have my shellac ever "chip" or "flake" like regular polish, but it was put on too thick once (one too many coats), and the whole nail peeled off in one go.

Just have them do 2 coats max (plus top coat), and if your nails are already healthy underneath (like not previously filed down for acrylic/gel nails), you should be fine!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have very weak nails that break doing ANYTHING... Gel I got before and it was horrible once off. The Shellac is perfect! Very long lasting that is 100% what I will be doing for my wedding!
  • Cathy
    Newbie July 2018 Nova Scotia
    Cathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get shellac done every 5 weeks and have had zero issues. Gel and acrylic destroy your nails

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've had both gel and shellac nails before. Both are pretty durable (shellac will last a few days while gel will last about a week), but definitely make sure to get them removed at the salon afterwards. My nails turn brittle and break after I have had these and try to remove them myself, so maybe make a second appointment shortly after the wedding to get help removing them. I definitely suggest what Helen said too though, and make your appointment as close as possible to the date of for Shellac so they look great on your wedding day.

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have, it is quite sturdy, but chips can always happen so make it as close to the wedding as you can. Have a backup bottle the same colour on the ready for emergencies day of.

They didn't wreck my nails, but they are quite strong. You must take the polish off with full acetone nail polish or it will never ever come off and if you try to peel/chip it off you'll take a layer with it.

Maybe try some strenghtening potions on the nails in the days leading up to the mani - vitamin e oil, Sally Hansen also has some nail growth/hardener stuff at Shoppers. Just try to get them in the best shape you can before the big day. Congrats and enjoy your wedding!

I found this: https://www.julep.com/blog/9-easy-effective-ways-strengthen-nails/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics