Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Newbie August 2023 Ontario

Wedding Menu - Thoughts?

Marie, on March 11, 2022 at 18:11 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hey everyone! My fiancé and I are both vegan and are planning on serving a vegan menu at the wedding (main reason is that we have a caterer we love and she only makes vegan food!)

With that being said, we are getting married at Cranberry Creek Gardens at the end of summer and the dinner will be served in a barn. We were hoping to have a summer BBQ/picnic vibe and this is the menu we have discussed so far (as a buffet):
Cocktail hour: vegan crab cakes with dill + lemon aioli, garden tomato bruschetta, and one more (unknown)
3 salads: roasted herby potato, pesto pasta, ceasarveggie: half cobs of corn served Mexican street style side: Mac and cheese with homemade vegan cheese sauce (not packaged cheeses)Hot entree: pulled jackfruit sliders
Desert: donuts (flavours: s’mores, strawberry, peaches and cream) and ice cream from a local vendor
Late night: pirogie food truck + s’mores at a bonfire + cotton candy
We were wondering what the general consensus would be for a meal like this - would you be happy to eat this at a wedding? Are any items too far out there?
Our caterer also offered to BBQ veggie burgers and serve those too as a burger bar! Would you be happy to eat these if you are used to regular burgers?
We plan on having plenty of food so there will be more than enough for everyone + having servers at the buffet and we will be having an open bar!

12 Comments

Latest activity by KELLY, on March 16, 2022 at 13:51
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not a vegan but like the idea of a vegan weeding; it's different and most of the time people can't tell it's vegan

• M
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so true!! I didn’t even think of that - great feedbackSmiley smile we will definitely have to swap something
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My only thought is that it's a lot of carbs. 2 out of 3 salads are carb based, and then you have a carb heavy side with the mac and cheese, two sandwich options that are carb heavy, and two carb heavy late night options. It'll certainly fill people up but it may make them sluggish and anyone drinking beer will bloat.

My suggestion is to swap out either the mac and cheese or the pesto pasta salad for something a bit more protein rich, like a quinoa salad or bean salad to fit the barbecue motif. Can they do the jackfruit as a non-sandwich entree so that it's not two sandwiches? Kind of like how you can get a pulled pork plate with a side of baked beans.
    Of course, these are all just suggestions and a lot of your choices should be based on how well you know your guests.

• M
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Vinod! Thanks so much for the input!
  • M
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s great to hear!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the idea your going with a vegan menu which is different truly. I'm not sure if all the guests may be on board and feel its their thing to try. It would be good to have a section for the vegan for those who would want to try and those who do enjoy it. At the same time, regular burgers and some of the options as pesto pasta salad do make good normal dishes to eat. My opinion may be just one that will have some on the fence for some picky eaters in general. I like your menu choices which is great to have. Possible to send over when its all done to try LOL!

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm a VERYY picky eater and I don't like trying new things but I think if I went to a wedding with that menu I'd be able to find enough things I'd eat!
  • M
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so nice to hear thanks for the input - puts my mind at ease a little
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think your menu sounds delish!!! Honestly, if I'm invited to someone's wedding, I'll eat whatever I can that's put in front of me and not complain, so I think you'll be fine with this menu. As much as food is nice, the point of the day is celebrating your love together, anything else is just a bonus. Lol
  • Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know it's just my opinion but I think unique menus are so special! Last Wedding I was at it was a BBQ food truck haha loved it so much.
    Thank you!! It's a small backyard wedding so the menu kind if fits 😋 🙂
  • M
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the reply Hailey that’s so nice to hearSmiley smile your menu sounds so fun!!
  • Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally (just my opinion) I love the idea of different food that's not the norm for a wedding. I love how it makes it a unique wedding!! I would be all good for those choices!

My fiance and I decided to do bbq chicken,ham & ribs, some salads veggie chilli & a few deserts like brownies, candy bar cake for our wedding Smiley smile Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics