Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rebecca
Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador

Wedding Gifts for The Couple

Rebecca, on June 7, 2022 at 12:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 27

So my fiance and I have lived together for a little over 10 years at this point and when it comes to our wedding most people like what do they give for gifts would it be weird for us to have a registry of like things that we want for around the house or should we just say like in lieu of gifts please give money and how should we go about this because I don't want to be initiated with a bunch of useless things that we don't need because we have enough that how should we go about doing this like I have no idea what to do when it comes to gifts for us because we are traveling 10 hours to our wedding venue by plane from Alberta to Newfoundland and I really don't want to have a lot of extra baggage on the way back just because it's already going to be a lot

27 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on July 7, 2022 at 15:15
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel like this too but my FH feels like even mentioning monetary gifts is taboo

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Monetary gifts are more common now since couples getting married put it towards their savings, honeymoon fund or future goal to use later on for projects, etc.
  • Brooke
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Brooke ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Rebecca! My fiancé and I had a similar predicament, as we have been together for 4 years, but have lived together for nearly one, but since we were two merging households, we collectively inherited almost everything we need lol We came up with the idea of, instead of registering somewhere for the sake of having a registry, we're posting a "Honeymoon Wishes" page on our website, kindly asking that if people felt the need to contribute a gift to our wedding, cash gifts would be accepted as contribution to our honeymoon fund. We politely made this gesture by enforcing that gifts were not necessary and all that matters to us is our guests attendance, which I feel is respectful enough when asking for money. I hope this helps and good luck! Smiley heart

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know the feeling I love mine as well❤️
    My decisions are always respected they ask questions t understand but that’s the extent of it
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh totally!! I definitely feel like I won the in-law jackpot! All my inlaws (2 sets of parents) are amazing
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have two fathers in law and they are the best there’s nothing quite like a good father in law ❤️❤️❤️
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh definitely!! It was my Father in Law! He was also a huge help cleaning up the next day!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that now that's a premium guest

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im just having a thing for cards i think

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Me too!! Cash is what we would have preferred anyways but we were worried about the older people/more traditional people. One of our guests got us a DQ gift card cause they know how much we love blizzards
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like that Smiley smile

• Krista
    Curious June 2022 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and myself have been together 15 years, living together for 14, so we have everything we need in terms of household items.
    I honestly didn’t even want people thinking about a gift at all, even cash gifts, so I never mentioned anything on the invites or anything. I’m hoping that because all our guests know we are settled, they know that we won’t need gifts and not worry about it. I didn’t make plans for a gift table or make a registry. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We ended up having a full blown registry and only got like 3 gifts of it (mostly at my bridal shower) and everyone gave cash or gift cards for places they knew we go to!
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don’t show them or mention any registry, they will know that they can provide monetary gifts. Or you can mention it to them as well in your website or invitation.
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are traveling 10 hours for ours too and already have a home and toddler! We have enough stuff lol
    We decided to do a honey moon fund but you could do a cash fund too! It’s totally common now!
    And you can put a cute little poem on your website! This is what I put
    A NOTE ON GIFTS:

WE'VE BEEN TOGETHER A YEAR OR TWO

WE DON'T REALLY NEED ANYTHING NEW,

DON’T GO OUT SHOPPING OR GET YOURSELF STRESSED,

DON’T ALTER YOUR PLANS FOR PRE WEDDING REST.

IF YOU WANT TO BE GENEROUS, DESPITE WHAT WE’VE SAID,

THEN SAVE ALL THE HASSLE AND DO THIS INSTEAD! 

CONTRIBUTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME, WE’LL GO SOMEWHERE HOT!

A HONEYMOON WOULD BE MARVELLOUS,

IN OUR LONG WINDING JOURNEY, AS NEW HUSBAND AND WIFE!

BUT JUST REMEMBER WHAT MEANS THE MOST,

IS THAT YOU'RE WITH US TO RAISE A TOAST!

THANK YOU,

JUSTIN & ALYX

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check out the website Honeyfund. You can set up a registry if people feel inclined to get you something/give you cash! I set it up for mine and I absolutely love it.

Here is ours!

https://www.honeyfund.com/Registry?id=1184075&rid=853409&t=1

We are getting married in Banff and about half of our guest list is coming from Ontario, Quebec and NB. I put on the wedding website that we do not want any gifts/cash because we have been living together by that point 4 years, but if you want to contribute to something here is our registry for the honeymoon we are planning. then wrote you are not obliged to donate.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats a good idea too

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We don't have a registry. We own a house and been living together for 7 years. We put in our invites a monetary gift is appreciated
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It can be annoying though lol
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One year he ended up with duplicates at Christmas because i didn't know he purchased a bunch of gaming stuff on black Friday then when christmas comes aorund a few days later he goes yeha i already have this this and this and he said oh well its good to have two Smiley tongue

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Okay i like this Smiley smile you ladies are the best !!!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I have one of those here too...totally relate 🤣
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ouuuuu i like this im saving this for future reference

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could always say the following: Spin it anyway you want.

Since we've been together for 10 years, there's not much we really need, If you'd still like to contribute we are accepting monetary gifts to go towards our honeymoon or future trips as husband and wife.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We lost our home 6 years in a fire, so everything we own is already upgraded and my FH god love him if he wants something he just goes out and gets it he's horrible to try and get gifts for haha!

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used the site Zank-you website as my "registry" as we are in the same boat. I basically just set up a "Honeymoon" fund that people can contribute to if they please. Its a Canadian site, so there isn;t any fees or anything like that.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't do anything for a registry though a lot of people will do that to upgrade things they need or purchase things they maybe normally would not. It's nice because the items will be delivered to your home. I'd think that since everyone knows how far you are going and that you must already have what you need the greater majority will give a cash gift. We didn't say or do anything about gifts. Our families do typically go for cash though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics