Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2019 Quebec

Wedding flower alternatives?

Meaghan, on December 23, 2018 at 21:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 18
To be honest I’ve never been a huge fan of flowers. I mean of they’re pretty - but I’ve never enjoyed them as a gift or been jealous of someone else receiving them. So I’m struggling with what to do for the wedding party... I know I should have a bouquet, and bouquets for my bridesmaids, a boutonnières for the groom and then corsages for the groomsmaids - but the thought of spending money on that just stresses me out. Cause honestly I don’t want to spend more than 200$ on flowers and from what I’ve gathered my bouquet alone will cost that ?!
i guess I’m just hoping for advice and/or thoughts on alternatives?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Intra, on September 14, 2021 at 15:18
  • Yolanda
    Nevada
    Yolanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are some options at The Suggestion Store e. For example silk petals or bridesmaid bouquets at very good price.

Wedding flower alternatives? 1

• Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not sure if this was already mentioned, but have you considered Michaels? They can have incredible deals sometimes you just have to be patient. We got our flowers at the end of the fall season when they were clearing out the remaining product for 60% off. Our wedding is in June so I stuck with greenery, and a variety or coordinating white flowers. I also was able to find some hints of blue (to go with our colours). I was one short of a bundle of eucalyptus and I actually found the last one on the floor under a shelf!

*I paid just under $130 for over $300 worth of artificial flowers. I am planning to create my bridal bouquet, 4 bridesmaids bouquets, 5 boutonnieres (7 if we have enough material) and then I will be getting our centrepiece flowers (16 in total) from Costco for under $200 as well. I plan to repurpose our bouquets onto the head table some how to save money there.

My bridal party and I are putting them together this weekend so if they turn out well I will post our results! (:

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally random, and maybe not up your alley... but I saw an article the other day about brides doing cotton candy bouquets. And some of them are super cute, and I’m regretting not doing it myself. Plus you can eat it. Smiley xd
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m with you!
    I’m considering a single large bloom with greenery OR holding my favourite book OR vintage clutch instead.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No sorry!! I should have posted photos! A Broach Bouquet is a bouquet you can put together with a bunch of broaches! This is a cute idea you can ask friends and family to donate broaches to you and put one together made out of them!
    Second image is a Papet Flower Bouquet! Flowers you hand make out of paper and put them together into a bouquet! Theres tons of oragami flower tutorials online you can check out!

Wedding flower alternatives? 2

Wedding flower alternatives? 3
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We got our bouquets from Craft Flower they are absolutely gorgeous. We went with a custom order and I couldn't be happier. This is a picture of mine. My girls and my FHs girls are smaller with less greenery.

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ouh that’s a cute idea too! But my only issue is that the only male in the wedding party is the groom.. his groomsmen are actually groomsmaids - and will all be wearing dresses! I thought a tiny pinned flower or corsage might be nice for them - or just nothing at all...
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We aren't doing boutonnieres because we want pocket squares instead. and we both find that having both is just too busy (my florist even agreed with me).

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I saw some paper/book page bouquets and I did like them! Also never thought to look at Costco, thanks!
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m assuming Broach Bouquets or Flower Bouquets are the names of stores? I live in Montreal so I’m a lot more limited to stores unfortunately Smiley sad we don’t even have a David’s Bridal.. but there is a Michaels! And that would definitely be so fun to make a night of it. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The o my flowers I. My decor are Baby’s Breath, but other than that there definitely won’t be any I debated using those as boutonnières (thanks to Pinterest) but wasn’t sure for the bridesmaids - clutch is very cute idea! Thanks for sharing!
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the idea of wooden flowers! May I ask where you got them from?? Also, the lanterns are very cute too! Thank you Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wasn't very big on the flower aspect either. there are NO flowers in our décor at the reception. we are doing 4 bridesmaid bouquets, 1 junior bridesmaid bouquet, 3 bouts for the dads, 4 corsages for the moms. and the cost is about 400. I spent a bit more because I went with a florist that I know and love her work. and what I love is that she grows a lot of her own flowers.

I was in a wedding once where the bride had the flowers done by a florist at a grocery store. and they were beautiful and so affordable.

my cousin didn't have a single flower at her wedding. her and her bridesmaids each carried a clutch (hers was sparkly/blinged out, the bridesmaids were a light gold). and it looked fantastic.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You have a lot of options, we went with wooden flower which were a lot cheaper and opted against corsages and boutonnieres. A friend of mine had the bridesmaids carry lanterns walking down the aisle which was adorable. Just found an example image from google.

glasgow-farm-wedding-photographer-fall-b

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a DIY might be a better bet for you!!! Check out Broach Bouquets or Flower Bouquets! You can make a great evening with your bridesmaids making your bouquets together out of things that aren't flowers!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bouquets are the norm but I would check out these discussions on wedding wire in regards to the same thing - alternative ideas for bouquets.

Bouquet alternatives

Alternatives to a flower bouquet

Alternatives to bridesmaid bouquets

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some of the brides have created projects on their time making paper flowers and using origami paper too. Check that part of the community section.

My alternative to spending more on flowers was a vase filled with LED immersable lights and coloured water beads. Artificial white floral ball was the best solution I liked to keep the centerpiece simple yet elegant.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go on Costco. They source from Valley Flowers. They can change the colours of almost any flower in the arrangement (My stock photos are peach/apricot, but I'm getting them all stark white).

I got:
    - 1x Bridal Bouquet
    - 3x Bridesmaid Bouquets
    - 2x Corsages
    - 11x Boutonnieres

Cost, Taxes, and Free Delivery, for $425. Those are the only flowers we've done for the whole wedding, everything else is twinkle lights, candles, or pinecone arrangements (January).

OR, if you can get crafty... look up how to do paper flowers... get some old books from a thrift store, and make your own bouquets from pages of love stories! Personal, and way more budget friendly!! Tons of tutorials online for them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics