Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Xandra
Beginner November 2019 Quebec

Wedding Favours - Necessary?

Xandra, on January 31, 2019 at 16:12 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14

So at our wedding we are offering fully paid food service, open bar, entertainment, etc. Is it absolutely necessary to have wedding favours? If so, do you have any ideas on low-cost options? We've dumped most of our budget into our guests' experience, and we're looking for a few places to save.

Thanks in advance! Smiley heart

14 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on February 5, 2019 at 16:02
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm glad to see that you're going to go with a wedding favour!

I have the unpopular opinion but I think it's necessary to thank your guest for taking the time to celebrate your wedding by giving them a little something to take home with them. The vast majority of them will be giving you a gift too, so a little something (like you said, something small and edible) will be appreciated (I'm also doing something small and edible!).

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also doing open bar, entertainment etc but have decided on having edible favours as well. The small gold and red boxes will add colour to our table decor
  • Xandra
    Beginner November 2019 Quebec
    Xandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I will go for a little something small and edible, that way nothing gets wasted!

Y'all are the best! Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's all up to your budget. I will be doing one and similar situation as you. Some low cost ones are; beer cosys, sunglasses, little box with kisses in it, candy bar, some people do a donut wall with the bag so people can take togo, some people do a small thank you card ontop of plate at table with some type of candy attached.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think favours are necessary at all! I've never been a big fan and usually forget them at the end of the night anyhow. That being said, we will be making a donation in lieu of favours... that's something you guys could do if you feel you need to do something. It doesn't have to be a lot if it's not in your budget - whatever you feel comfortable with. Plus you can claim it at tax time 😉
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't need to. Budget fits in for some little bags of candy or something sweet, go for it.

The best suggestion is to put a thank you card to avoid later on mailing them out. That plenty to give your guests to be there.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing a candy bar with all of my brutish sweets I grew up with (my fam from England that are coming are all bringing them but other than that no favours. My future brother in law got married in June and didn’t do any, and honestly you don’t notice. I only noticed because I’d been thinking about us not doing them!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    100% not necessary!! We did homemade wine in 350ml bottles to give away! You could always get some small boxes and fill with treats? Checkout uline.ca we ordered some small white boxes from them and plan on putting a piece of fruit cake in it for each guest for the table setting! You can do the same with some candies of chocolate!! Doesnt have to be anything extravagant!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The are definitely not a necessity they are more of a nice idea. We had completely ruled them out but my mom insisted on them so she is making them. She is making seed packets, her friend with a greenhouse gave her the seeds and another friend gave her the packages. Very simple and she felt better because we had that "thank you" gift.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean I don't think that it's absolutely necessary - but at the same time I too am having food, open bar, and entertainment and I will probably include a favour. I think that as long as you don't use that as your reason then it would be fine. Otherwise guests tend to factor the food and booze into what they give in their presentation anyway.

You could always donate to a charity a lump sum and just let people know that you donated to a certain charity?

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope! Not at all necessary.
    In my opinion, it’s not about having the budget for it, it’s about the practicality of it.

Favours are often forgotten at the end of the reception, and one night are are rarely kept for much longer beyond the wedding.

I think the only favours that sure fire work are edible ones.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are offering the same as you and we aren't having any favours. We are doing cupcakes instead of a cake and our bakery is providing little take out boxes in case guests want to take home their cupcake instead of eating it that night so I am looking at that as a sort of favour.

The last three weddings I have attended, only one did favours and that was a single ferrero rocher chocolate at each table setting- it was nice but I have never been bothered or offended if there was no favour at a wedding.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like favours are a nice touch, a thanks for coming, but at the same time, your food/drinks/entertainment are all paid for!

I would do something, even if it's a sweet treat or even to-go boxes for cake/cupcakes. I'm doing candy filled boxes and possibly having to-go boxes for cupcakes if they aren't all gone/eaten by me at the end of the night lol

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't! I think having an open bar is enough of a thank you for your guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics