Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Devoted December 2022 Yucatán

Wedding Dress Styles?

Brittany, on August 11, 2021 at 15:47 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8

HI!

I am in need of some help on figuring out the different type of wedding dresses there is out there. I am not talking about the different shapes, more so what vibe/theme wedding dresses look like?

I am trying to plan my decorations for Mexico around my wedding dress and I can not come up with any examples - so - I am asking you on what you guys think these types of wedding dresses look like in your mind:

1. Romantic Wedding Dress

2. Rustic Wedding Dress

3. Elegant Wedding Dress

4. Glamourous Wedding Dress

5. Bohemian Wedding Dress

6. Vintage Wedding Dress

I ask this because I have been told from my parents, family and bridal party of different sorts of categories my dress fits in, so now I am just confused and trying to figure it out.

I just put my deposit down and is getting intouch with our wedding planner and I just have no idea what theme, flowers and colors I want to use.

My dress is mermaid, lots of lace, covered in glitter, beading throughout, low back, deep V, long train with even more lace.

Help!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on August 16, 2021 at 11:46
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Romantic: The reason for this is the colour of reds/whites/violets give that combination for the them. Flowers to follow the colours can be roses/Cal lilies/long stemmed to give the difference heights and looks to make them work together with green leaves. Décor for the table can be a square vase with sand on the bottom filled with water and topped tight with foam block of flowers to bring the outdoors inside.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s so hard to put every dress into one of these categories. It’s dependent on so many other things like hair, makeup, accessories, and even just the body shape and overall look of the person wearing it. What’s romantic on one person could look totally different and glam on someone else.
    Even based on your description I’m having a hard time picturing where it would fall without any more context.
    If you’re working with a planner this is something they can help you with. Show them the dress and other ideas you have and they can help direct you to one cohesive look.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Big doesn't necessarily mean poof. It could be a huge train. It could be a super long veil. It could be a large neck line. Also, this is just my definition. By no means am I an authority on this lol.

I would definitely not pigeonhole the theme and formality of the wedding based on the dress. People have worn super formal clothes to a farm wedding or something more casual to a ballroom. The event is what you make of it.

• Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I guess I forget that having 30 first cousins is abnormal Smiley xd With that and a number of friends getting married in their early 20s, I've been attending weddings for most of my life!

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I guess I never thought of it in that way. That I don't have to style my entire wedding to one thing. Especially since I am getting married on the literal beach in Mexico.

I will be definitely having a talk with the FH about what vibe he is going for and go forward from there. Thanks Smiley smile

An other issue is that we have both not been to any wedding. All of our friends are just starting to get engaged. We were one of the first to get engaged and have an actual date.

• Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you picked the dress I think you did, I'd describe it as romantic elegance.

I personally wouldn't generally lump dresses into these categories.
    I'd go with what you want the overall feel/theme of the wedding to be. You can have a very elegant detailed dress but still want a laid back casual wedding, similarly one could have a simple flowy dress and want an upscale fancy event.

Think of what you want the feeling of your wedding day to be, imagine weddings you've been to in the past. Do some word association games with your FH and come up with a list of words that come to mind when you think about your wedding daySmiley smile
    You mention you have a wedding planner. Can you do a video call with them and discuss your overall vision/impression. They should be able to make some suggestions!

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

With the way you put it mine would be glam but no poof.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think I've ever heard of dresses described this way in a categorical way but as a guy with zero concept of female fashion, here's the first thing that pops into my head.

1. Romantic Wedding Dress - a chiffon dress with minimal pattern accented by some jewels

2. Rustic Wedding Dress - minimalistic, could be off-white, consists mostly of lace but other accented with organic material like flowers and greenery, fairly flowing and not as poofy

3. Elegant Wedding Dress - also minimalistic but satin instead of lace with very clean lines

4. Glamourous Wedding Dress - bigger dress, lots of embroidery and sparkles

5. Bohemian Wedding Dress - similar to the rustic but with less structure in the body and more layers of fabric, potentially a two piece, could be accented with non-organic elements like jewels

6. Vintage Wedding Dress - something with higher necklines and sleeves

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics