Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skylor
Frequent user August 2020 Ontario

Wedding Dress Sizes

Skylor, on May 14, 2019 at 11:35 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 12
Hello All,
I have an appointment at David's bridal in August to start looking for my wedding dress. I have been doing some research online and keep coming across this idea that wedding dresses run smaller then regular dress sizes. I have been on a weight loss journey and I have been hoping to fit into the sample sizes (so I can get a better idea of how the dress will look). I was wondering if anyone knows what size the samples typically are? Also if anyone knows if wedding dresses do indeed run smaller?
Additonally, if anyone has already gone dress shopping and has had difficulty fitting into the sample size, I would like to know how that experience was for you.
Thank you, for your help!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Yami, on June 12, 2022 at 02:48
  • Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a size 8 at Zara and everywhere else but a size 10 in bridal dresses. I fit into most of the dresses I tried on but there were some that were too small. They clipped it and all but I had a hard time seeing myself in the dresses that were too small.
  • Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was just trying on dresses this past week. Some samples fit..others didn't but that's ok. I didn't feel uncomfortable as I knew in my head that's how it would be. I ordered a size down from the recommendation because I know I will lose a modest 10 or 15 lbs which would only be a few inches. My bust measurement was much smaller than my hips so I didn't want the top to be altered too much and not look good. Honestly I'm more anxious about my color choice than the size...lol. Enjoy the experience!!
  • Vanessa
    Beginner September 2022 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Does anyone know what Rita Vinieris sizing us like? Is is true to street size o you should size up?
  • Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I would say so, I would expect to up 1, 2 or 3 sizes. I have a hard time realizing it is "just a number" Smiley smile Also shapewear will suck you in a bit too so take that into consideration.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know dress sizes vary by designer and dress type. When I was trying dresses on I had seen sizes 8-12.

For my dress personally, the sizes were the same as any other dress would be for me. The dress size I ordered was in line with dresses I would buy anywhere else.

the good thing is, you get measured so you’ll have the perfect fit!
  • Skylor
    Skylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Jillian,
    Congratulations on your weight-loss. I'm sure you'll meet your goal and love the way you look on your wedding day! This was very helpful. I actually just purchased a formal dress yesterday (for a wedding I am attending in July). I was a size 14 in that dress, would you say it is safe to assume that most formal dresses run arround the same?
  • Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here are my thoughts, street size I am a 8-10 ( 5"2 and about 155lbs) been on a weightloss journey for the past 4 years and have lost 70 lbs and would like to loose another 20 by my wedding, the dresses I tried on at the shops were size 10's. They took my measurements and I ordered my dress at a size 14 based on the size chart according to my dress.

My bust was a "size 10", waist a "size 12", and my hips were "size 14" they said the seamstress is able to take the dress in up to 6 inches.

Back in highschool, I was 120 lbs size 4-6 and the dress for my grad was a size 12 with a corset back and no alternations just to put that into perspective.

Hope this helps!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

David's sample sizes are the best! Honestly, i went with a wedding party that had size 0-20 and they had every size in between. It worked out great and we new what to order. But in general to sizes I am a 12-14 and normally size 8-10.

I found some high end boutiques were very small in sizing and I was embarrassed as I couldn't fit in anything and cried. Some places are different than others. Some places it was okay, I was just not happy with my weight so trying on dresses didn't help.

• Skylor
    Skylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello Lisa,
    It would be wonderful if they do have a variety. I should probably make a call to them. I normally wear a 12/14 in regular dress sizes. Like I mentioned I am still losing weight and my appointment is in August, so hopefully I can reduce that. This was very informative! Thank you!
  • Skylor
    Skylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Donna, your response is appreciated Smiley smile
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Skylor,

From what I recall, I think David's Bridal has multiple sizes for many of their dress samples. I think more salons are going this way, but it might be worth checking ahead of time to see if you decide to make an appointment somewhere else too?

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Samples usually are between 6-8. I’ve had friends who have gotten size 10 as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics