Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laurence
Beginner April 2022 Quebec

Wedding dress shopping for the first time

Laurence, on June 6, 2021 at 18:11 Posted in Wedding fashion 1 13
Hello everyone !!
I am so happy to have found this community ! I got engaged on NYE and we are planning a winter wedding, February 19, 2022.
I am positive we will be able to have our 90 guests wedding without much restrictions but of course I have some days where I am super stressed. My fiancé doesn’t even want to think about a plan B 🤦‍♀️ (He is a very very optimistic person ahah).
We didn’t get to celebrate much our engagement so far with all restrictions. We booked the venue,Decided on the guests list and bought wedding party gifts but I don’t feel like there is the same excitement.
Anyway, in all this, next week I am going dress shopping. I have been dreaming of this since I was a little girl. I am excited and nervous (nervous I will look bad in everything)
So let me know your best advice, suggestions for this very important moment !! My cousin is driving from Quebec City and my mom lost her husband a few months ago therefore I want it to be a fun weekend full of wedding talk !!
Thank you for your advices, suggestions, etc ! It’s great to be able to talk and vent with a community !

13 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on June 30, 2021 at 12:38
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry that you had to deal with your sister-in-law and her unpleasantness. But I’m happy that you were able to destress after she left. It’s amazing that you found your dress Laurence!

It’s soooo beautiful 😍 and looks lovely on you! The length of the train! Love love love! 👏🏾😍😍😍
  • Laurence
    Beginner April 2022 Quebec
    Laurence ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone !! So many good suggestions that I followed. It was one hell of a day and way more emotions that I expected !! I usually always know what I want but I was very confused ahah. My sister in law invited herself to the first shop and she wasn’t pleasant at all, always talking about what she likes. Once she left and I took the time to breath, it become more fun and less stress !
    I am making a few changes to the dress but I’m confident it will look good !! Wedding dress shopping for the first time 1

• Emma
    Beginner June 2022 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome! I will have to check them out!

• Jasmine
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Where did you go dress shopping? i have appointment in two weeks!!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats on your engagement! Enjoy the dress shopping experience as you will have much to consider when trying them on. You may have an idea of what you make want to wear. Keep an open mind to other choices and let the consultant know your budget. Your parents may choose to help with the extra expense if they do like the dress too.
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations 🥳 Laurence!!

And welcome to the community. We are so happy to have you and we’re happy to assist the best way we can. Try to remember that your big day is next year, where you’ll look like a Queen that you are and marry the love of your life! Think about how you would really love to look and make sure that dress that you try on screams at you. Haha. I’m sure having your mum and cousin around will make it very exciting and fun! Let us know how it goes!
  • Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome thanks 👌🏻
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you have an Ardenes near you that's where I got my white lace mask!
  • Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with what the others have said. I love the idea of a new mask, I wonder if I can find a white one in 3 days?!

Definitely make sure you are comfortable with the consultant you are working with. The very first place I went I booked at because they had a trunk show for a designer I liked, I very quickly didn't feel comfortable as I wear a size 20 bridal and the store only carried up to 14 for trying on. I felt horrible the whole time and the lady wasn't very pleasant.

Make sure the experience is enjoyable, if you don't feel comfortable for whatever reason just leave!

• S.
    Beginner October 2022 British Columbia
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement Laurence!

I concur with the advice already mentioned by others above. The ones that I personally found helpful are:

1. Be honest with the salesperson about your budget.

2. Be open to try on different style suggestions by the salesperson (I ended up with a completely different style from what I had in mind!)

3. Show up to your appointment with light makeup and a simple hair updo! The hair updo helps you photograph / see any back details of the dress. For makeup I only did eyeliner and brows - I didn't want any foundation or cream to stain the dresses plus I had to wear a mask so it really didn't matter.

Wedding dress shopping is super fun! I hope you enjoy the experience of finding your dress.

• Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your engagement! Honestly, trying on wedding dresses to me is one of the best parts of this whole ordeal of planning a wedding. I have gone twice already (I have yet to say yes to the dress) but I was able to figure out what I like. And I think this is where people get a little overwhelmed.

There are so many different shapes, skirts, necklines, straps, back details, train and type of material that it may take 2-3 rounds to say yes because you are still figuring out what you like best out of all the things I mentioned above. Some go in with a certain dress they have been looking at since they were engaged and the store had it and they tried it on the first time and knew it was their dress.

Don't feel discouraged if the appointment didn't go exactly how you planned. I was a little upset my first time around but after checking out a different boutique and trying on more styles of dresses, I was able to figure out what I like and what I don't like.

Maybe make an appointment just for the sole purpose of trying on different shapes and styles that way the next time you can go in with something you know you like and be that much closer to finding the dress.

Besides the dress type, try to do your hair and make-up - it doesn't have to be exactly how you want it on your wedding day, but it will give you an idea how it looks overall when your hair and make up is done. This is one of things I regret not doing because I never really got that bridal feel by just putting on mascara and curling my hair. Next time I go out, I am going all out with the hair and make-up just to get a more bridal feel.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement!

Be honest with the sales people about your budget if you have one so that you're not wasting each other's time. If you can't afford a $10K dress, don't try on a $10K dress. It's even worst if you absolutely fall in love with it and be disappointed that you can't own it.

And be open to what they suggest. You'd be surprised at how you might think you didn't like something but turn 180 on that opinion once you try it on (that's what happened with my fiancee).

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Something kinda minor that helped me was I got a nice white lace mask for trying on dresses so when I look back on photos of the dresses I tried on the mask doesn't stand out too much and it allows me to focus on the dresses more! A skin tone mask would work too!!

I also recommend making sure you get front and back pictures of the dresses you like! I was surprised how much I noticed in pictures that I didn't notice when trying things on!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics