Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Curious August 2021 Ontario

Wedding dress shopping during Covid-19

Jennifer, on July 16, 2020 at 13:47 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 9
Has anyone gone wedding dress shopping and FaceTimed their family members/ friends during the appointment? Just wondering if this worked out for you/ were you able to make people who can’t be there in person feel included? I know my mom would love to accompany me wedding dress shopping but she’s immunocompromised so we just can’t risk it. My plan is to have my maid of honour come with me and have her FaceTime my mom. Worried that it’ll be emotional for her to not be there in person. Thanks in advance!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on July 18, 2020 at 08:40
  • J
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is good to know, I never even thought of that. Thanks for the advice!
  • J
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so sweet! Your mom sounds lovely. I’m glad you found your dress!
  • J
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds so nice!! And I like your positive outlook on the mask photos lol, it’ll be so strange to look back on 2020
  • Sarah
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to ‘The Gown’ in Newmarket. They did an incredible job. First they arranged a zoom call with myself, mom, MIL, and bridal party to look at different dresses. Then we picked 5 and I went in on a Saturday to try them on with my mom and MIL. The bridal party jumped on zoom again and it felt like they were in the room with me! I found the dress and am so excited. Plus I have pictures of me trying on dresses wearing a mask which will make for wonderful memories post COVID!
  • Joanna
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Joanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! I did this last weekend!
    I took two of my bridesmaids (not anticipating my dress... and had taken my mother and FMIL to an appt at another shop earlier that week). I told my mom I would FaceTime her.
    I decided to call her when I’d believed I’d found the dress. She was very thankful to feel included. I asked her afterwards if she was upset she missed ‘the experience’ and she said absolutely not. She felt included in the decision and was happy to be involved. She’s also incredibly understanding and the best mom!My girls also snapped a bunch of photos that I was able to show my mom and grandma after the appointment.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We tried this, and the 3 times we called my mother-in-law to be she didn't answer. It turned out she forgot the date of the appointment and was in the garden. I offered to send photos and she decided she would rather be surprised!
  • J
    Newbie November 2020 Quebec
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi!

I shopped for mine in May and brought my sister and friend. We facetimed my mom, and when I had chosen my dress, I booked another appointment for my mom to see in person. The shop was so accommodating and it worked out great!

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this would work really well and sounds like a good alternative to her being there in person. I didn't FaceTime, but I sent my sister pictures throughout one of my appointments to get her feedback. I think FaceTime would be even better because you can get a better idea of what the dresses look like in motion and from all angles.

You might want to make sure it's okay with the store before you go though. I've heard that some store are really weird about taking pictures so I imagine they might have issues with FaceTime as well.

• S
    Curious December 2022 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I went (pre-COVID) one of my bridesmaids couldn't make it, so the others took pictures and sent them to our group chat with live commentary. It was fun to see all the pictures and comments once we were all done. So that's another option!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics