Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jillian
Frequent user September 2022 Ontario

Wedding Dress shopping and weightloss

Jillian, on March 12, 2019 at 10:31 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 15

Looking for advice for wedding dress shopping.

Here's a bit of a back story.

I gained 100 lbs in a span of 5 years then 3.5 years ago I lost 70lbs. I have maintained 60lbs loss over the last 2 years and would ideally like to loose another 20lbs + tone my body before my wedding (Sept 2020). I am still very self conscious of my body, especially my arms.

Now my question is, should I wait to try on dresses until I lose the last 20lbs, or should I still go at least try on dresses now anyway. I have a feeling I will take a while to say yes to the dress (as in months of trying on dresses).

Would love to hear everyones thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Charlotte, on July 24, 2019 at 02:05
  • C
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would also wait with the shopping because of several reasons: your taste might change, there will be new collections with dresses that you might like better than the ones out now and if you plan to lose some weight before the wedding you can save some money on the dress fitting.

How have you lost weight before? Did you stick to a special diet? Do you know calorie counting? That's what I do and I don't expierence any big fluctuations, so it's very good for permanent weight loss if you stick to it. I have completely changed my diet to this and do not have to do without anything. It's super easy when you use an app as a support. I'm very happy with Yazio, for example. If you don't have any experience with calorie counting I recommend to start with this. It calculates how many calorie you're allowed per day and it's very intuitive to use: https://www.yazio.com/en/calorie-intake-calculator

I wish you good luck and a beautiful wedding! Smiley heart

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would wait.I am a plus size bride and just fell in love with my dress by total accident.The deposits have been paid and I still have 17months to go my main concern at this point is if I lose weight will they be able to take it in enough.This is a big purchase so I would maybe try some on and get a feel for what you like and once you’re closer to the goal buy one.
  • Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! And way to go with the 50lbs! Smiley smile

• Kateland
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought my dress in October and my wedding is September 2019. When I was shopping although I wanted to lose weight, I just decided I'd love and embrace the body that I had at the time. I love myself, and my fiance loves me how I am so I just went with the size I was at the time. I've lost 50 lbs since then and still pretty rapidly losing/toning and changing shape. I know I'm going to have to alter my dress. I'd much rather incur the cost of the alterations closer to the date than beating myself up trying to lose weight, or buying a dress in an ideal size. The mental stress wouldn't be worth it for me. I thought it'd be easy for me to find a dress but it took a month and a bunch of different styles. You never know how it's going to go, or what your next months/year might look like. If you find "the" dress, buy what fits now is my advice!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't look for a dress this early regardless of body changes - your taste may change or the image you have for your wedding. You have a lot of time, I would probably wait at least until the fall of this year.. and even that some may say is early.
    My wedding is in June and I went mid December looking for dresses. I found mine on the first day looking so if you really think it will take you months then the fall is a ton of time.

• Bobbi-Jean
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Bobbi-Jean ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just had a baby 4 months ago, so my plan is to go searching the start of 2020
  • M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on the engagement and the weight loss!

I would wait until about the one year mark - not only for size, but also the dress. A friend of mine bought a dress 2 years before her wedding, and she found another dress later that she loved more.

If you can, buy your dress during off-season, as it may be a bit cheaper Smiley smile

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your weight lost. I would say go dress shopping in early 2020. It usually takes 4 to 5 months to get the dress.

• Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I booked my first appt on March 30th. Mainly bc 2 out of 3 of my bridesmaids can make it that day as they are both from out of town and place we are going has a huge bridal sale that day. Also, I hope to have purchased my wedding dress by August so I can book my trail in August when I am in Ontario--we have a destination wedding, we live in Saskatchewan. Otherwise we wont be back in Ontario until Spring next year and from what I have learned, Niagara region books up quite fast. I like to plan ahead so I'm not stressed as much Smiley smile Thanks for everyone's suggestions and opinions Smiley smile

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are all so helpful Smiley heart Such great advice shared! Casey made a great point, dresses are easier to take in than trying to add material. Has this discussion given you some clarity Jillian? Do you think you will wait until late Summer to begin the search?

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As others have mentioned I would wait a bit you're still a ways out!! Drop a few more lbs if you want to and go towards the end of summer! (Also more sales start happening at that time too!!)
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would wait until around September of this year to shop, you might lose the 20 lbs by then so you'd probably be closer to that size in a few months than now.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on the weight loss! Thats super awesome!

I agree with the other ladies when it comes to waiting a little bit to start dress shopping, especially with your wedding being in 2020.

I had the same mindset when I went dress shopping. We went just over a year before our wedding date and I ended up finding my dress which was not planned. I bought the dress in the size that I was at that time. A few months later I started back into my healthy eating and working out and lost a good 25lbs, with hopefully anther 15 to go before the wedding date. With that being said, it is easier to take in the dress, than to add fabric to it. My opinion is to get a dress in the size you are when you go shopping, that way it can be taken in!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First off, that's an amazing amount you've lost! Way to go for going for your goals!

Second off, if your wedding is in September 2020, I'd want until August to begin dress shopping. You can totally get closer to your goals by then, and then you won't have to worry about purchasing a dress that might not fit (or need major alterlations).

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I would wait till closer to the 1 year mark just based on the fact that you don't want to fall out of love with a dress or have dresses that come out that you love more than the one you buy.

At the same time, say we were at the 1 year mark or at least a few months closer I would say to go try them on even with that last 20lbs - but only if you are there to find the dress you are getting married in and becoming a bride in. You don't want to start picking at your body when shopping early and then not want to go closer to the day of because of how you felt the first time around when you weren't at your ideal weight.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics