Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Wedding dress shopping

Sarah, on July 30, 2019 at 22:21 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 14
Hey! So I’m finally going dress shopping for the first time this weekend and I am so pumped!! I’ve looked online at all the designers’ collections that the two stores I’m going to carry. And I’ve narrowed it down to 78 dresses. Sounds like a lot but this from several hundred or even a thousand dresses. Anyway I feel crazy for going in with pictures of 78 dresses. Am I crazy? Lol when you went dress shopping and brought some pictures , how many did you bring?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on August 1, 2019 at 10:38
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the input everyone!! I’ve narrowed it down to 34 from 78. Still a few more to go, lol.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I showed the girl at Kleinfeld 2 or 3 styles I liked. Depending on where you go, they’ll ask you what you’re looking for.

be open and honest. but also try stuff they recommend as well! you never know what they’ll find for you. my associate is the one who pulled my dress for me off of the styles I showed her.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would bring photos of the dresses you really want to try (max 5) and then 5 other styles you are looking at. I would stay open to trying on different styles than you have envisioned since you never know!

I had planned on showing the consultant photos (I had about 5-10), but between explaining my wedding vision and what I'm sort of looking for in a dress, I actually didn't use them - mostly because I was open to try anything.

• M
    Beginner March 2020 Ontario
    Marcie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went in with about 20 pictures and the sales women was able to pick up on features and trends that I liked. In the end, I ended up selected something that was totally different than the pictures I had saved but that is what looked the best on me and I loved it. I would say be open to trying on things outside of the pictures that you have selected because if you go somewhere with good sales associates, they will know what will look good on your body!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my appointment I went in knowing that I wanted to try on all the types of dresses in case some surprised me, and then ended up liking the ballgown look (surprise surprise - got one for HS grad too). From there I just pointed out what I liked about it and what I thought was missing. I just pulled out my phone and showed my Pinterest page to show them what I liked and they did the rest!

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for sharing. Yeah that’s why I was asking because I had a feeling it wouldn’t fly well with the consultant lol
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

78 is a lot of dresses, and you may overwhelm the consultant helping you. I say pick one of each style that you really like to start with. Then you can eliminate any style that you don't like.

I had pictures on my phone, but honestly, I didn't even show her any. I just let her know what I didn't want, and what I was looking for and she went from there.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m not entirely sure but I think an hour and a half. Yes by the sounds of it 10-12 dresses is going to be my max! A lot that I’ve saved are similar in style. I will narrow it down.. wish me luck haha thank you Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good idea!!! Right now I have the pics saved in a wedding dress album on my phone. Maybe I’ll make a must try album and it’ll only be a handful. Then if they don’t have this or that I can ask about other ones. That’s great you found your dress Smiley smile thank you!!!
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg I would hate that lmao I know they won’t carry everything, I think that’s why I saved so many pics “just in case”. Lol i will try to narrow it down more. There’s definitely only a couple that I’m really bent on trying. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Missa
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How long is your appointment?

I would say that I had time to try on around 8-10 dresses when I went. I would narrow it down to styles. In those 78, are they almost all ball gowns, mermaid etc and then go from there! Most bridal store doesn't carry all the designers selection either, but just a select few! I hope you have fun and that you find the dress!!

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Before I went shopping I called ahead or verified online that the stores had the styles I was looking for. This narrowed down the options significantly! I actually ended up purchasing my dress at the first store I went to, and I tried on approximately 12 dresses. I would recommend seeing what's available and then choosing your absolute must-try-on dresses, while leaving some time for others beyond your list if possible. The one I ended up with was the complete opposite of everything I had in mind!

Good luck with your shopping! I hope you have a blast!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a lot to choose from Sarah! I say you should go in and let the stores know that you're interested in said designers. Then you can see what dresses they carry. The odds are that these stores aren't going to have every single dress that you want to see, so you might only get to try on a few (and maybe that's a good thing since I don't know how you can pick from 78!).

ALSO, I don't know if you're planning on going to Amanda Lina's in Woodbridge but they don't let you pick and choose which designer you see (or let you in the back to see all the dresses), it's very frustrating!

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also all the pics are on my phone. Should I print them Instead? Any feedback is appreciated!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics