Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sam
Curious October 2020 Ontario

Wedding dress

Sam, on August 3, 2019 at 09:22 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 34
I’m looking to spend as little as possible on a wedding dress but no stores actually post any of their prices online. Where are some places that have decently priced wedding dresses? I would love to spend less then $500 but people keep saying that $1500 is a ‘good’ price for a dress. This seems insane to me 😔

34 Comments

Latest activity by Marina, on May 7, 2020 at 01:41
  • Marina
    Beginner October 2021 British Columbia
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Boutique 1861 has some beautiful but affordable dresses and it’s canadian!
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Try Lulus.com or even H and M has wedding gowns, Amazon, JJHouse... all under $300
  • C
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lynette, I second Le Chateau too I 3 dresses that I really liked from there and all were $375 and under Smiley smile

• Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly depends where you are from and what types of salons you are going to. Our local salon only carries dress up to $3500 where as I went to the city and was trying on $10000 dresses! I found it easier to look on the American websites to get an idea of pricing before I went shopping!
  • A
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allyson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found my dream dress on Facebook. I had an idea in my head what I wanted and just found it while looking around for wedding decorations. I checked it out thinking it wouldn't fit, etc. Tried it, loved it and she even negotiated the price!
  • Shyan
    Curious January 2021 British Columbia
    Shyan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello,

You can try discount stores?

Where they are selling dresses that are a few seasons old that they are wanting to get rid of? Smiley smile

• T
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Tinaka ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ive been looking online at regular stores. I too also feel like 1500 is ridiculous for a dress im only going to wear once.

Just searching for white long dresses tbh, and to be completely honest im going to wear whatever I find that I feel amazing in, it might end up being black, red short whatever lol

Azazie is a good option for a cheaper dress. I bought a bride's maid dress from there and I 15/10 would reccomend. I send it my measurments and the dress fit perfectly. They also have an option to chose up to three dresses to try at home for like $30.

Asos.com has some nice options ive found. As well as 1861 a montreal based boutique has a lot budget friendly dresses.
  • Koryn
    Beginner May 2022 British Columbia
    Koryn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dress are expensive! I lucked out when I went to Langley for a show, David tuatara makes wedding dresses for brides on a budget! And there so beautiful too! My dress was 950 but if you look into 2nd hand you should find one in your budget 😊
  • Laura
    Curious February 2020 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wedding dresses are SO expensive! Especially for one day.

I was keeping my budget under $1000, so I ended up trying dresses at 7 different stores before I finally found one that I loved that was in budget! The one I ended up loving is actually from the store's Prom Dress line, but they had ordered one of their samples in white.

At a couple of stores, I did check out the bridesmaid collection, but couldn't find anything I felt like a bride in. But you may have luck with that option.

Tip #1: Check out bridesmaid and prom dress collections.

Tip #2: Some stores have a "destination" dress section, they're much lighter dresses (weight) intended for those warm destination climates, but they also come with a lower price point!

Tip #3: Consignment bridal shops. If you're up for a drive to St. Jacob (I see your venue is near Hamilton, so I'm assuming you're also nearby) Gina's Closet is a great bridal consignment shop, they have dresses organized by decade, so handy if you're throwing in a vintage element! But they also have brand new dresses they got from stores that folded. I like this store in particular, they donate proceeds to cancer charities. St. Jacob's is a great summer tourist spot, and easy to make a whole day of it. If you go on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday, you can also check out the market there.

• Sammi0723
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Sammi0723 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Davids Bridal had their collection, which at times has dresses for $99.00. Most of the time you will need to go into the store to see those dresses, but their website does have prices listed, its in american on the site, so remember that.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

JJs House online is having a sample sale. The samples are $72 canadian but they only ship to the states. But if you pay full price they can ship anywhere and their prices are really reasonable. The one I am going to order is only $230 brand new.

• Rebecca
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Take a look at the "pop up wedding dress sales" by opportunity bridal. Most of the ones in Ontario are taking place over the next month, then they are moving on...not sure if they do this every year or what their prices are, but they are suppose to be up to 90% off.

http://www.opportunitybridal.com/?fbclid=IwAR2SaQtqr7vGC58B_FXeXkKRGel_-kIhMzR392lcNK2tSgcm7u_-JXjweJ8

• Monique
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say follow some local stores on Facebook and wait for sales. That's what I did and I ended up buying my dress 65% off! Also, don't be afraid to look at unconventional stores. I went to a used clothes store that I purchased my grad dress from like 4 years ago. It wasn't a glamorous shopping experience but it was fun to see dresses from the 80s lol. Also, really don't limit yourself to a certain style of dress. Before I tried on dresses, I had t heart set on a satin a line with long sleeves and plain Jane, no embellishments. I got so discouraged before I even went shopping because I knew the exact dress would be $700+ and I wanted to spend more like $200-300. I ended up choosing an a line with beaded straps and no sleeves and a super long train and I honestly love it.
  • Sara
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what is available around you but I got my dress for $400 at Action Bridal here in Vancouver. It is not a glamorous place and has terrible lighting and you really have to dig. I kinda loved that experience but my mother sure didn't. haha

Perhaps look for a place like that? Discount bridal stores have to be around in any city!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your looking for prices lower than $1000 - I would watch for the opportunity bridal locations

as they come to different cities and the most a dress is would be that! They are coming to Guelph on August 31st as your pretty close. I would get there early to get ahead of the line

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I picked my dress off a clearance rack at David’s Bridal for $250! And it was gorgeous. With a couple add ons and alterations the dress totalled $400.

Other oprions are look look at bridesmaid dresses you can order in white. There are some amazing options for wedding dresses that way at affordable prices Smiley smile
  • Karine
    Curious October 2019 Quebec
    Karine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What type of dress are you looking for? I got mine at Boudoir 1861, I have a boho chic garden style wedding. My dress is all lace, mermaid style with bell sleeves. Cost me 142$ plus tax ☺️. They have a lot of different style wedding dresses online and other dresses in store too!
  • Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are in the Toronto area you can try The Brides Project. Dresses are categorized by price and they have a section for under $500. Good luck
  • L
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Lynette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I purchased my gown from le Chateau for 375$. I can’t wait to wear it!
  • Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also google opportunity bridal.... Its a pop up thing
  • Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine i got at davids bridal was $399.99
  • Katie
    Newbie November 2020 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are lots of pop up bridal shops that happen from April to June-ish. They’re advertised on FB bridal groups and online. I bought my dress from a pop up shop (empty store front rented for a week or two) and it was $750 taxes in. Most places like this are 50% off the price tag and they only have whatever is on the floor for sale. You can’t order from here but it allows you to see what you like/don’t and keeps you on budget. A handful of my friends who got married within 6 months found their dream dress there for a steal allowing them to stay in their budget.
  • Heather
    Curious September 2020 Manitoba
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A lot of wedding dress shops will have some sale or clearance racks. I got my dress for $750 and it wasn’t on sale. It was ordered in just for me. Mori Lee too! So, if you share your $500 or less budget with your sales person they will give you options in your budget. My best friend got her dress for $399. Not on sale and it was special ordered. Things that make dresses more expensive are lace, beading, etc.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could also try places like value village if you don’t mind a used one. Some online stores like jjhouse have really cheap gowns as well. Another option is to find sample sales in your area. I don’t know because they started popping on to my Facebook feed out of nowhere but I’m sure if you contacted some stores near you they might have their own sales too.
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cocomelody also has some pretty nice dresses for $600 or less.
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can also try Azazie! Smiley laugh

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As everyone else has said-David’s Bridal! They have $99 sales when they are changing over stock. They also have off the rack sales.
    Facebook marketplace- SO many people sell their dress on there after their wedding.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

David's Bridal has great sales fairly often, and they post prices online and in store.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    David’s Bridal usually has some good deals!
    Check out some sale dresses on the racks at bridal stores, you never know what you might find there.

• Sam
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bridal Wedding shops will prices that will be over your budget.

A possible solution is available 3 ways

1. Kijiji if you know you want to spend less than $1K and sure lots of dresses are up for sale making sure the size is right and fit.

2. Renting a dress that may be lower than $100 and don't have to store it in your closet after. Savings are huge and no concerns for dry cleaning if the dress isn't stained when returning it.

3. Borrow from a friend or family member that you know has their dress seeing the fit is good and the style is to your liking.

Research on what you want to wear and compare a few styles for ideas.

• Ada
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Ada ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    David’s Bridal has good prices I paid $1000 for mine and I didn’t have to do anything to it no alterations, it’s perfect and it also has a train. If you receive emails from them they send you deals or what dresses are on sale you could get a beautiful dress for less than what I paid for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics