Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julia
Frequent user June 2019 Alberta

Wedding Decor Help!

Julia, on July 20, 2018 at 05:12 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

So we are wanting to do a lot of DIY for the decorations for the reception and keep things pretty simple but still classy and elegant. I have so many ideas about what I think I want, and even more of what I like. I don't know how to put everything together in a way that is going to be all that I expect it to be. I essentially feel like I need to sit down with someone and have them be like "this is what you want, here is how you are going to do it, this is what it will look like" but I also don't want to spend a lot of money and someone do everything for me and just rent things, as that raises the price a lot. I have tried to do Pintrest boards but there is just so many ideas on there. Any suggestions?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on July 22, 2018 at 02:40
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a sample of our centrepieces before committing. We bought enough stuff to make one centrepiece, with two different ideas. In the end, it was worth it to spend a little money because we discovered the one idea did not pan out as we had thought. But, we had only spent about $6 to find out it was a bad idea.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pull together abunch of things that you want and play around with it.. that’s how I decided and knew everything would work! Also try to get your projects done as soon as possible.. my wedding is on Saturday and I still have 20 wine bottles to spray paint. Probably just me though, I’m a procrastinator!
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To start - do you have a theme/colour scheme?
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I DIY’d quite a few things. All my bouquets and boutonnieres , my guestbook, my arch, my centrepieces, and our kissing game (Plinko). And let be be the first to say, it is a boatload of work. FH, my parents, and I have been pretty much working on these things every weekend for... I’d say 4 months now. If you’re going to plan to do a lot of DIY, be prepared to put in the time. Don’t save things for last minute.

But on that note, you have to pick somewhere to start with your “theme” for DIY. I guess we have a “simplistic” theme. So nothing is over the top fancy. Once you have your theme, you can narrow things down. Something won’t quite fit, and you’ll know you either have to change it, or scrap it all together. Pinterest can be a big help. Find one thing that jumps out at you, just one, and use that at your starting place.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My suggestion would be to make a list of all the things that you would want to DIY. Centre pieces, favours, signs, etc. Look them up individually and once you like one move on to the next making sure that they won't clash.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly in the beginning I was all "OMG I CAN MAKE EVERYTHING!!" but the more I played with things and got samples and tried to put things together on my own... the more I realized I was way over my head hahaha!

I would say start with small projects you like, see if you can even do them! I know DIY can be a lot of savings but it's a looooot of work! Especially if you're not really into the crafty things. Have a look at arrangements or pieces you want to do and try to do one! Get some supplies and see what it takes to make one and if you even can get it to be the way you imagined!

Start there! And start NOW! If you realize there's some things you can't do it'll save you a lot of time and stress to pay the extra bucks and have someone else help you with it!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep It Simple...
    Start big, pinning everything you like on Pinterest. Then narrow it down based on what you'd actually be able to do, and what fits your theme.
    Many girls end up making gorgeous DIY products from items found at thrift stores and the dollar store!
    Perhaps once you find something you like, for centrepieces for example, make one. See how long it takes, how it turns out, what could go with it. Almost like one "table setting" complete before you make 20 of them.
    Searching more specifically too is better. Maybe start with "summer wedding centrepieces"... then narrow down to "diy", then if you like a certain style, search keywords that bring you to those specific looks.
    It can be time consuming, but if you start early and do your research, you can save a lot of money and end up with beautiful. unique items.
    Dont be afraid to ask for help! Pick a crafty friend or family member and ask if they can help you out!
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am diy the majority of my wedding decor. My venue is amazing and I just worked with it. I new I didn’t need a lot however I wanted my tables to be beautiful. So I decided to grow my own centrepieces. I have added other elements to make it more personal. Whatever you do for decor make sure it all goes together.
  • K
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've made most of my own decorations ! I think the key is to not go over board. I was always told when decorating for any kind of party, pick a couple places where you can go all out with decorations, instead of having decorations spread out randomly. I think it would help to make a pinterest board with anything that catches your eyes and then going through it later with things you'd actually want and would go with your wedding.

I made a huge pinterest board when i first started planning and then i went back a couple months later and picked maybe 8 things i actually wanted to do only!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics