Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Meghan
Devoted September 2022 Ontario

Wedding Day Gifts for your spouse

Meghan, on November 21, 2021 at 09:32 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12

Has anyone not exchanged gifts with your spouse the day of? My FH doesn't really want to exchange gifts cause he feels we just paid for this wedding plus we are getting rings that he doesn't see the point in the gift exchange. So i'm curious if anyone here has felt the same and not exchanged gifts?

Also, if we do decide to exchange gifts what do you get your spouse? and do you tell your spouse what you'd like or do you leave it entirely up to them to pick something for you?

12 Comments

Latest activity by KELLY, on January 11, 2022 at 18:06
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH has lost both of his parents, he misses them everyday and will especially feel their absence on our special day. So I have decided to get get him an engraved pocket watch with a photograph of his parents on their wedding day. That way they are with him as he walks down the aisle....

• Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would totally discuss this with your partner! I love it when I can get my partner the exact thing she wants without having to guess. And since he will be picking it out, it's still a surprise & still a thoughtful gift from him!

• Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't have to do it if it isn't exciting and special to you.

We haven't discussed it much, but I'm thinking of exchanging some short, encouraging letters the morning of - maybe with a small token gift that doesn't cost much, but reminds us of why we want to be together forever.

Could be as simple as a coffee or muffin delivered from your favourite cafe, or something they can carry with them down the aisle. I was thinking of getting my fiancée an anklet with my initial on it. Nobody will see it (in case its not what she pictured with her dress for the big day), but it will still be something she can have with her the entire day. Nothing that will be heirloom jewelry either - just something affordable and sweet.

All that being said, if it's not important to one or both of you, it's completely ok to skip it!

• Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think I'm going to do anything expensive for my FH because I agree, you've already spent thousands of dollars "on each other" so to speak for the wedding. But I was thinking we might do nice letters to each other and a small gift. Something thoughtful but not pricey!

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We originally weren't going to exchange gifts. Weddings are expensive enough but I thought of the perfect gift that I really want to get him, so we are exchanging gifts now.
  • T
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wasn't going to get him a gift but I found the prefect thing for him. I don't think my fiancé would think to get me a gift but he's terrible at gift giving anyways so I'm not going to tell him. I'm going to leave what I found for him on the night stand when I have to get up at crack of dawn to get ready and he gets to sleep in..lol

• C
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not doing gifts for our wedding! I personally find it unnecessary as well.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren't doing gifts for each other. I don't feel it's necessary at all personally.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't do it. Giving a gift during the wedding was not something that ever crossed our minds.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't have to exchange gifts if you don't want to. It's not something that you have to do for each other. If it's not in your budget, I wouldn't worry about it Smiley smile

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Us 🙋🏻‍♀️ we felt it was overkill and ridiculous. Our rings and each other should be more than enough. Because our wedding was originally NYE, for Christmas I did get him engraved wood cufflinks as I really liked them, but he didn't have a French cuffed shirt 🤣 so he never actually wore them. Also they were only $20 lol. If you do gifts, I think it makes sense to talk to each other about what you want as you may be spending a lot of money and if you have to wear it on your wedding day you want to actually want to/like it! We don't regret not doing it at all. That money can go towards many more useful things - like our honeymoon which will be an amazing experience rather than monetary things that will sit on a shelf.
  • Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve also gone back and forth on gifts- I like the idea of writing a letter to each other to open up when you’re getting ready. It’s special, and it costs nothing!

I would likely get my partner a watch or cuff links, something he can wear to the wedding and then also have it be useful for the rest of this life as well. I secretly want a pair of stud earrings to wear with my dress for the same reason but I haven’t told my partner… not sure if that’s allowed! Haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics