Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

Wedding Cakes

Vanessa, on February 2, 2018 at 18:20 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering what everyone has done for their wedding cakes?

I have had bad news that my dream lady for my cake is not available as she will be away and another lady from my area doesn't do them anymore. Smiley cry So now I have been quoted to prices from 2 different people and one person does it for $3.00 a person for the cake and another person on average for a cake starts at $3.30 a person. Is this crazy that it is more expensive than cupcakes???

I was thinking a 2 tier one to keep for our first anniversary, and than the other for cutting and than everyone else gets the Nothings we would be making but my mom said the guests should have cake too and apparently my fiance thinks the same thing. He likes the 3-tier, which I'm not opposed too. Do we also get a slab cake just bigger and kinda have it like a grooms cake or do an edible image? I would also love to see some inspirational love from your wedding cakes or cakes you are considering. I am asking another lady who I work with who does them as a hobby but we are in the early stages of talking. Would love to hear from everyone!!

Thanks,

Vanessa

6 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on February 6, 2018 at 21:52
  • Brittany
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was surprised as well when I began pricing out cake options and I discovered that the price per serving of a wedding cake was more expensive than cupcakes! I had always thought the opposite would be true. We are meeting with our cake baker next week and we are debating between a three tiered cake or a two tiered cake with cupcakes. We also want to keep the top tier for our anniversary, so we haven't decided which route to take. The cupcakes are $3 each ($1.5 for small ones) and the cakes range from $4-$6 per serving! This is what I gave her as our inspiration, although I would really prefer not to have fondant... we'll see! The baker does not do slab cakes, so that's not an option for us. I think we're leaning towards getting small cupcakes too, so that people can try more than one flavour.

Cake inspirationWedding Cakes 1

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting a 3 tiered cake. We found it more expensive to get a slab cake in addition to a smaller tiered cake so we just went with three and that should cover all of our 90 guests.

However, if you are going the slab cake route, i think they keep it hidden in the back so the guests only see your "for show" cake and then your guests think that magically they got enough slices out of that to serve everyone. ;-)

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We opted to not have cake at all at our wedding. We just did mixed desserts. That being said. I would probably have gone for a 2 tier cake as we were less than 100 people.

• Jamie
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This was our inspiration for our cake!

We are going with a 2 tier cake for cutting and pictures which will be similar to the pictures! And then have ordered cupcakes for our guests. Our cake was more expensive per serving than the cupcakes were too. $5.00/serving for the cake and $2.50 per cupcake - all together with a 20% discount from our cake lady and delivery to our venue it was still within budget coming in at about $600;

We have 230 guests so between 200 cupcakes and our 2 tier we will have plenty and probably some leftover!

Wedding Cakes 2

Wedding Cakes 3
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would suggest a small tiered cake for pictures and cutting and slab cakes for serving. The slab cakes don't have to be fancy and can just be kept in the back to be cut and served.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a 3 tier cake with assorted pastries. Just family was served cake and other guests pastries.

A slab will save you lots than paying certain charge per person. Just two small tiers for the cake table can work.

Wedding Cakes 4

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics