Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maya
Expert January 2019 Alberta

Wedding Cake or not?

Maya, on June 26, 2018 at 16:01 Posted in Wedding reception 0 38
So I just found out our venue has a cake handling fee of a $1.50/ person if we serve it right after the meal and $2.50/ person if we serve it later. Why is it seem that all venues just want to make so much money off of couples. I mean we are already paying 17% gratuity fee.

Hearing this makes me not want to serve cake at our wedding or to package it and send a piece home with everyone. Just drives me crazy that these costs aren’t mentioned how much in the contract, only says that there will be a handing fee.

38 Comments

Latest activity by Natalie, on July 19, 2018 at 21:14
  • Natalie
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah doing the same thing. Just a one tier cake to cut into together for pictures then cupcakes and a donut platter. Donut pegboards seem to be a new thing, anyone else try it?

The cutting fee for cake is ridiculous, just vendors trying to nickel and dime yo. If the venue has a cake cutting fee then that’s an amount they should put in their wedding event contract. Otherwise they can charge whatever the hell they want
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yep, I think we are just getting a small cake for the wedding party and cupcakes for the rest of our guests. I’m excited for the cake because I’m going to incorporate my First Nations heritage and get something similar to these images designed on top.

Wedding Cake or not? 1
  • Stephanie
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't want a cake because our "cutting fee" was $3/person
    My FMIL would not leave me alone about it and brought it up every time that we talked. Eventually I said "if it is that important to you we will buy a cake" and she insisted it wasn't important to her, she just wanted to make sure that I was OK. The next time we saw each other was at a wedding and she said "Are you SURE you don't want a wedding cake? This is soooo good". Then she finally asked me "if I would be OK with a cake at the rehearsal" so we are having cake at the rehearsal lol.

I honestly don't get the big deal about a cake, so many other things I would rather spend my money on... It was $400 alone for the cutting fee plus at least $400 for the cake (had to be from a licensed kitchen due to health codes).

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every venue around here charges for cake cutting.

we are not including a wedding cake. our venue includes dessert with their meal. I am getting a small cake (like 6-8 inch round) to cut for pictures. and I will just dig in later with a fork when i'm tipsy! haha

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never heard of anyone charging to serve cake but maybe that's just me. That seems mean after spending so much money to have it there and it costs them nothing to do that.

• Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going to do a 3 tier cake and have the bottom 2 layers fondant covered and decorated Styrofoam rounds, and then the top layer real cake for us to cut, and then just finger desserts and a chocolate fountain for our guests. (My opinion) honestly being a guests to many weddings, most of the time, guests don't even want a piece of cake, they want to be able to choose a desert for themselves. Smiley smile
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m not, wedding venues are already expensive enough. It just feels like they are trying to nickel and dime us is all. I haven’t heard back, but I imagine that even if I have cupcakes they will still charge me some fee. Which it may be your opinion for that to be normal, but it doesn’t mean everyone should hold that same opinion.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m surprised at the number of people surprised about being charged to cut cake lol.
  • Susy
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Susy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is insaneeee why is it so much!

• Feya
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Feya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    And this is why I'm doing cupcakes instead of cake.
    Hun it's your wedding). If cake cutting means that much to you go ahead and pay it. If it doesn't I'm sure guests wont mind/will understand!
    If you want go with Marcia's suggestion and get someone Else in your family to cut it for you?
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not surprised they charge a fee, even for birthday cakes they charge a fee. Maybe if you do a desert table with cupcakes? You can also bring your own plates and get a family member to cut and distribute it. Another idea may be to have a desert table, get a family member to cut the cake into pieces on a tray and guest can take as they please. I’m going to have to check with my venue about our fees, they haven’t mentioned it but I’m sure there will be a charge thanks for the heads up!
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My venue actually removes $1.50/person if we brings our own cake, but that's because otherwise dessert is included in the price. So I'm not sure exactly how much they keep for the cake-cutting.

Their desserts look so much tastier than traditional wedding cakes that we didn't even consider getting a cake somewhere else.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not surprised that there is a fee. I have not heard of a venue that doesn't charge something. I would save on the cost and have the slices pre-packaged and give them to your guests.

• Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I totally agree. We will see if they will charge us for cupcakes. If they will then we will just send them home another way with guests.
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yep that’s what I’m thinking we will do. Going to see if there is any charge for us having cup cakes. If there is we won’t have them and just either send them home with guests. Just seems rediculous I mean 525 dollars is probably similar cost to what the actual cake would cost us.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thats an insane price for serving at your venue. Its the same as paying the baker to make the cake based per person.

If you are considering getting mini cakes made and packaged for give away, that they can't charge you per person.

The gratuity charge is enough to pay as is package wise. We had the same thing charged on top of our package at thd venue.
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are thinking about doing a small cake for the cutting photo and than cupcakes for the desert and than sweets for late night snack.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's insane! Sounds like a real rip off 😪 just send it home with people or maybe save the cake for the day after and have a brunch or gift opening and do it there?
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would have found one that didn’t have so many restrictions and what not.
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Other venues would have likely also charged you a cutting fee. It’s very normal for them to do that.
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don’t think we are going to have a multi tier wedding cake. It just seems like a money grab, they are already making 13000 off us for the dinner and I’m sure they will be making lots of profit off that. I mean it could have stated in the contract the different prices for cake handling and I probably would have chosen another venue. At the time I was still dealing with my miscarriage and so I didn’t get into the details of it all.
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They should not charge you for cupcakes.

You could have someone in your family cut the cake but it takes some time to cut 200 slices of cake. And it’s not that easy to cut a large multi tier wedding cake. It’s not like cutting a sheet cake or a regular sized birthday cake. That’s why they charge you. Because they have to pay staff. They will generally have 1 or 2 people doing it.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They should not charge you for setting up your own dessert... If they did, that is very wrong. They should only charge you if it is extra time and work on their part.

• Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well going to see if they will charge us for having cupcakes on the table and guests serving themselves. If they are then I will just say no cake and we will send everyone home with a piece packaged up. That’s the tradition my mom said anyway.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm too control freak-y for that... haha. I wouldn't even know how to cut into multi-tier cakes (if that's what you're doing)...

But it is whatever you are comfortable with!! Smiley smile

• Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can understand that, but I mean we could do it ourselves. Why pay someone to do that makes no sense. At my cousins wedding last August it was a serve yourself candy/cake table.
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What if they don’t even have to tho. I mean it’s rediculus, I could get paper plates and someone to cut it and save 500 dollars that I could spend on something. The venue is making plenty off of us already.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a similar fee, ours is $2/slice and honestly we’ve got family cutting ours and saving us the $200!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is kind of annoying that it's not in your contract. Our very clearly stated what the cake cutting fee was but we had already decided against cake. We will most likely be doing cupcakes.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What about a small 2 tier cake for cutting and saving and serve cupcakes to the guests? A quick grab and go to save on the fee!
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well usually that fee is for them to have a dedicated person (or 2) solely cutting and serving up cake. That person can’t be doing anything else so they need to have an extra hand around for that. At least that was my explanation of it.

but I agree there are so many little fees for everything that it seems to get out of hand quicily.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would almost suggest going with cupcakes or mini cupcakes instead. We have a dessert station (s'mores bar, provided by venue buffet), and mini cupcakes, being brought in by us.

It's very normal for a venue to charge a cake cutting fee if you go with an outside baker. It's extra time/work for them to do it (prepare plates/cutlery, cut, serve, collect plates, and clean up)...

If your heart isn't set on "cake" in the traditional sense, there are so many fun, tasty, creative ideas to substitute now... ones that won't require extra service.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics