Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Frequent user June 2018 Ontario

Wedding cake

Taylor, on November 20, 2017 at 14:47 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

Hi,

We are having approx. 130 guests at our wedding, What is a good size wedding cake?

Also, any design inspirations would be great! We are having a spring wedding, burlap and lace, light pink and light grey are our colours

Thanks!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Victoria, on December 20, 2017 at 17:40
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOVE this idea! Its so pretttty.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a friend who made her own "naked" cake. Went with her rustic theme, and was easy to make for people who arent professionals lol. It would prob go with your burlap/lace aesthetic! Also then you dont have fondant which is nasty IMO anyway.

Heres one from pinterest. Wedding cake 1

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had inquired about the same thing and the cost was coming out more than expected. I ordered a small 3 tier with pastries for 75 ple and no wastage at all. I do have boards on pinterest under Vinod Balani for you to view options.

Wedding cake 2

Wedding cake 3
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely ask your baker, or whoever is making the cake for you, about what they think will be suitable for that many guests. Plus like others mentioned, if you have some form of dessert provided by your caterer, not as many people will eat the cake. Another option is doing a one tier cake, with cupcakes instead - that is what my husband and I did!

• Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pinterest has beautiful images and info. We are doing a 2 tier plus reg cupcakes and mini gf cupcakes plus macaroons, cake pops and cookies. Way more than enough but ours isn't a traditional wedding.
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had dessert with our dinner & a small cutting cake. We got waaaay too many cupcakes. We had so many left over. Since then I have heard to have cake/cupcakes for 1/3 of the guests if you are having a dessert on top of the cake/cupcakes.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you can stay on the smaller side if there are other desserts being served. We didn't have cake so I'm of no help really.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cake maker stated that only about 70% of your guests will eat the cake. Get a cake that will feed that amount of people. Usually your baker will be able to give you a better idea of how much they think you'll need. Usually if you're offering more desserts after dinner they won't eat cake.

• Giselle
    Beginner August 2018 British Columbia
    Giselle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Usually anything over 100 guests is 4 tier cake but having said that, most guests don’t eat the wedding cake especially if your catering includes some kind of dessert. Save a little bit of money and get a three tier. That’s what I’m doing :-) happy planning!!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having around the same amount of people- we are doing a three tier round cake. 4 inches thick for each tier and I believe the top tier is 8 inches diameter, 10 inches for the middle tier and 12 inches for the bottom tier. That is what our cake baker is doing and she's done a lot of weddings so I trust her numbers Smiley smile hope that helps!
  • Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea, the hall is providing homemade desserts too
  • A
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The baker will definitely be able to help you decide that. Will you have other dessert items too?
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go into a local bakery and ask what their size guidelines are for that amount of people. Try comparing a few shops and see what the general consensus is. We knew we were only having a small cake to cut, so we never gave it much thought. Our cake looked like this: (it's not ours, it was my google inspiration that I gave to the baker)

eb24c7e1ea966e387aa3c3b9191943d7--simple

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics