Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Barbara
Devoted July 2018 Ontario

Wedding cake

Barbara, on April 5, 2017 at 14:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 32

My fiance and I are not at all traditional and are on a budget so we have decided not to spend money on a cake. My mother seemed a bit upset about this and my sister-in-law said it would be nice for pictures. We figured dessert will be served after dinner and no one would touch the cake anyways, what is everyone else doing?

32 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 13, 2017 at 16:26
  • Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing a cake either, instead we have decided to do a pie bar, with a bunch of different kinds of pies since we both love pie and its a fall wedding right before thanksgiving! Also, we are doing a candy buffet as our wedding favour so there will be plenty of sweets for all the guests with a sweet tooth, including me and my FH Smiley smile

• Loni
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Loni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow this is so cool! Such an awesome idea!

• Rachel
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided that the wedding cake was a waste....no one eats it and lots of it gets tossed out

We are doing a french macaroon tower, that way you take what you want and the rest we can freeze

plus they are yummy!

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is big, 250 invited. We too are budget conscious because it takes a great deal of cash (that we don't have) to party with that many people! We are going to do a cupcake tree to satisfy the cake tradition. My mom and I are going to bake and freeze the cupcakes the month before the wedding, we will ice them 2 days before and our venue will refrigerate them and set them out during the ceremony. It's a cheaper compromise idea.

• Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our guests are going to have the dessert provided with the meal, and our head table (wedding party) and going to have a smaller cake made by myself or my mother in law just for the pictures and the sake of cutting the cake. I find larger cakes often get forgotten especially when dessert is already provided
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You definitely don't need cake but a friend of mine had a fake one that was styrofoam and just iced and decorated for photos. If it's important to your mother in law perhaps you could see if something like that is an option?
  • Stephanielarson
    Frequent user July 2017 British Columbia
    Stephanielarson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We've also decided againsts cake since dessert will be include with the plated dinner and I'm not a dessert person at all! I've heard of the idea of having cheese instead of cake - who doesn't like cheese. They're made of big rounds of cheese and then placed on top of one another them to look similar to a cake. I've attached a photo for reference. Just an idea 😘

Wedding cake - 1
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing cake either but that's because I don't like cake and my FH was fine with having pie and assorted desserts instead. Most people seem to react the same way to no cake ("oh really?! but it's a wedding; there has to be cake.") but we have stuck to our guns and people have been ok with that so far. I figure it is our wedding and we can eat what we like and if people have a problem with it then they don't have to eat dessert.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to have cake because I looove cake. We actually might have two cakes because we want 2 different flavors (both will be small because our guest count is 35). But if you're not a cake fan, there's no reason to feel you need to have one! We're having a brunch wedding, so we're not planning to serve desert right after the meal. We'll probably cut the cake and eat it a couple hours after brunch in mid afternoon. Since our theme is brunch, we are planning to have baked goods (muffins, pastries, banana bread, etc.) plus coffee/tea served as our guests arrive and right after the ceremony, so I guess that counts as desert sort of. We're doing things a little backwards I guess, but I think it will work!

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Barbara!!

Ohh it's good, because choosing the dress is the most fun part!!Smiley heart

Let me know if you need any help. I can't wait to see it!! You can always share a picture of it in this group!!

Show off your wedding dress

xx

• Barbara
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Zoe,

Thanks, I agree I think we're gonna stick to no cake.

Planning is going well, I do not have a dress yet but the search begins tomorrow. I'm a little nervous as I'm on a tight budget with my dress and hope I can find something well below it. The major parts are pretty much done, just focusing on the little details. We still have a little over a year so I'm feeling ok with everything. Smiley smile

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Barbara!

I saw you are getting married in July! So nice a summer wedding! Smiley heart I think you should do what feels best, at the end it is your special day.

I made this game and one of the questions is about cakes. I think you will find it funny.Smiley sexy

Do you dare? Yes or no?

Did you already find your dress? How is the planning going? Smiley ring

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's totally fine to not have cake! We will have a lot of food: dessert, late night bar (mini corndogs, onion rings, fondue..) and instead of wedding cake we are doing cupcakes!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure what we are doing yet but we will likely pick up a variety of pies from costco for dessert and call it good Smiley smile Neither of us are big cake fans.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not 100% nailed down yet but one of my BM is making cupcakes and a small cake for cutting as our wedding gift.
  • Barbara
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thats amazing! We're doing a barn wedding in the summer so unfortunately ice cream cake wouldn't work.
  • Stephanie
    Devoted September 2019 Quebec
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im doing a super light cake 2 tier very small for the show and have a dessert table with the cupcakes and some other small desserts. (finger foods) Im not a fan of thick heavy cakes. and frankly im making my cake myself Smiley xd. will cost me like 20$. the cake will be the same as the cupcakes. and the cupckaes will be small ones. not the traditional big ones cuz frankly some people dont like dessert. Smiley smile Some people make pie, tarts cakes, anything!! doesnt have to be traditional.

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing an Ice Cream cake. Everyone will get that as a desert.

• Denise
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you. I feel not everyone needs to be involved with every aspect of the wedding. My FH suggested we bring our parents to a decor appointment and I said, "no. Too many cooks in the kitchen." I did ask for their opinion on centrepieces, and they didn't like it, but I still stuck with my choice. The guest list is our biggest area of contention. I keep telling my FH, please tell them to keep the guest list down to the minimum required for the hall. I have a plan for that though. "Inflate" my guest list to necessarily deflate theirs. It's the only way sometimes.

• Denise
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lol my mom is the exact same way. It's so true -- it being about so much than about the love with your partner. I thought it was going to be all sunshine and roses, but it's not! It's just a taste of married life. Smiley tongue

I'm lucky my parents were able to say something about the 500 people. I feel for my FH though because he's stuck between his future wife and his parents on matters like that.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me too, they just lie in wait until their son comes by because he won't say no to them. Like, thanks guys. It's not like I'm the one making sure he shows up for family events, stays on budget, showers on a regular basis. You're welcome, but yeah, keep using him as a shield for all the things you know I'll shoot down.

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

LOL, right?! You can't just reply the way you would with your family because obviously we want to maintain a good working relationship with our partner's family. Ouch... 500 people! My mom is funny, she keeps saying, just have a small wedding, no need to spend so much money, no need for all the fuss, but I find she is the one who is fussy about who we invite/don't invite, requires open bar (I had gotten my FH on board with me that it was not necessary and not feasible $$-wise), etc. Ah weddings, so much more than about the love between you and your chosen partner lol Smiley ups Smiley heart

• Barbara
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love cake, but we figured since dessert is being served there wouldn't be much point. Thanks for all the advice ladies! Smiley smile

• Denise
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with you guys too about the frustration!

It's super frustrating when your in-laws give you input and expect you to follow it because you can't really talk to them the same way you do with your parents, or you come off super bratty. At least that's how I feel. For e.g., my in-laws originally wanted a 500 person wedding. Smiley amazing

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    OMG I 100% hear you and agree!! Once people find out you're getting married, several screws go loose and everything becomes such a big deal for everyone! Super annoying and frankly, should really be none of their business! But everyone seems to be interested in making sure that you fulfil their expectations of your day rather than yours! Can you tell I'm frustrated too? Smiley xd Smiley winking
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I may be taking some of my own issues out, I get that. My partner's family is much more "diplomatic" than mine and it makes it really hard to make decisions without feeling like you're ruining people's lives. At the end of the day, the thing your guests care about most is having a good time, and seeing a happy couple. And the good time is definitely not entirely reliant on cake. I recently had someone ask me what are my favourite centrepieces I've ever seen, and I had to go back into old photos to even remember if there were centrepieces at the weddings I've attended (there were, they were huge, I could not remember in the least). I'm pretty sure cake is half a step above centrepieces in "things that make or break a wedding".

• Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing a little cake topper with cupcakes only because my friend does it for a living so I wanted to send business her way. Pricey yes but She gave us a discount. We'll have other dessert snacks too. Nanaimo bars. Brownies. Whatever guests brin since its a potluck meal
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    PREACH!! Hahaha
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't eat cake normally, so we've agreed on a no-cake policy. i've been to many weddings where people miss the cake cutting, if it looks super cute its not as tasty, lots of people don't like cake, etc. people really have to get over the fact that it isn't their wedding and you should prioritize what matters to you.

• Denise
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I was negotiating with the venue, they had dessert as a course included in their price per person. We negotiated the price down partly by cutting out the dessert course and agreeing to serving our cake as the dessert. I want a minimalistic cake. White, semi-nude, maybe with gold specs -- and real flowers for a photo op moment.

While your mom is upset, and your sister-in-law makes a point, it is your day after all. You should do things that have meaning for you.

The only non-traditional thing I can think of is maybe having a sweets table with an array of desserts like cake pops, cupcakes, etc. I've seen towers of donuts as well.

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are thinking we might ask a friend to make a small cake, in lieu of a gift but that most sweets would be cookies or fruits or something, rather than a large traditional cake. I had thought about baking a cake, everyone has been discouraging me on that because it will be too stressful. I've seen "fake" cakes for the purpose of pictures, but ultimately it depends on you guys. In my opinion if you won't miss it or aren't big cake fans, then there's not really a need to buy a cake just for the sake of photos...
  • Ashley
    Beginner August 2017 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should do what is best for you. Wedding cakes can be so expensive and not a lot of people eat them anyways! We are doing 3 tier cake but only the top small tier is going to be real so we can cut it. Then we are just having a dessert table with easy to eat and pick up desserts. If you are already having dessert and you don't want a cake, do what is best for you Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics