Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious July 2020 British Columbia

Wear the dress?

Megan, on May 9, 2020 at 12:12 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 24

So we have decided to postpone our wedding until next year, but will still have a small intimate immediate family ceremony this year (same date). I just got my wedding dress, and I am debating whether i wear my wedding dress for both occasions, or wear a different dress for this year.... which I'm not sure how practical that would be considering cost and the ability to shop in these circumstances

My mother is concerned there wont be that "wow" factor for next year...

24 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on May 18, 2020 at 15:09
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wear it twice!! remember people will forget and wont have photos of it. and seeing a dress on zoom and seeing it in real life are completely different!!!!!!!!!!!

• Suzanna
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Suzanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm wearing my dress twice! We are having a small ceremony on our original wedding date and plan to have a reception next year! I will totally wear my dress again at the reception!
  • Alyssa
    Newbie October 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our original date is July 18th this year and we’re postponing to May 1st 2021. I’m wearing a different dress for our intimate wedding on our original date and wearing my real wedding dress next year instead. This is a personal choice of mine because I felt like my Real wedding dress wouldn’t fit our simple intimate wedding at a park or backyard. My wedding dress is fit more for a grand ceremony I felt, plus I love dressing up anyways Smiley winking So do consider the type/theme of what you wanna do in your intimate ceremony.

I got mine from Asos, they have really nice formal and simple dresses.
  • M
    Beginner August 2020 British Columbia
    Mikayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wear it twice!!!!! Twice the fun and excitement!!! It’s you’re special dress and you get to wear it twice. Totally go for dressing up 2 times in your special gorgeous dress.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t...
    A friend of mine got married legally here before having a destination wedding in Mexico a few years ago. She said not wearing the dress for the civil ceremony made a huge difference in making the big wedding feel more real.
    We’re doing city hall in October (fingers crossed it’s open) And I’ll be wearing a minimal white dress and nice coat and for the big wedding next year I’ll wear my big dress. I want the city hall ceremony to be as “un-wedding” as possible to make next year feel as special as possible
  • Paige
    Curious October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wear it! You bought it to get married in and to celebrate in. I am wearing mine because I don’t have anything else in my closet that is special enough to marry my love in! And everyone will want to see you in your dress for the reception so I’d say to wear it twice!
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do what you feel best about. If there is a second dress that made you feel just as good as your pick and is possible to get, go for it. If you feel strongly about this being the only dress for you, stick to your guns.
    I'm in a similar situation with the big wedding being postponed and doing a smaller ceremony on the original date (if legally allowed), but I won't be able to pick up my dress for the ceremony. The few alterations and changes needed won't be able to be done as it's a small boutique owned and operated by a single lady....and she is super back-logged already as soon as her doors open again. There was a second dress that was just eeked out by my current one in limbo, but this second dress is super more fitting for an elopement/smaller ceremony, which is why it got eeked out in the first place. Both fit basically into the original total dress budget I had (minus shipping but I'm not counting that).

If your mother is concerned about "wow factor", maybe suggest that, since this is going to be a very small ceremony, the guests who won't be there until the bigger celebration wedding will still have the wow effect on that date and your immediate family will get it on the smaller legal ceremony. There really isn't anything being lost, just divided. You could also try telling her you feel "wow" when you wear it so wearing it twice (if that's what you decide) makes you feel "wow" twice as much.

Whatever you decide, I hope you feel amazing and beautiful on both days you celebrate getting married on!

• J. M.
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    J. M. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would wear mine twice! However it doesn’t fit and has to be altered. Too big. So I’m not sure I’ll get the chance to wear it but if I do.. twice!!
  • Allison
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I asked my fiancé and he wants me to wear my real dress. He was right in pointing out the biggest surprise is really for him after all. We will probably just have a reception next year as well, so no walk down the aisle.
  • A
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just had a small ceremony this past Friday and I chose to find another dress to wear. I felt that my dress was more of a show stopper type dress and is better suited for our vow renewal/reception next year.

I happened to get lucky with my dress as the bridal shop was having a sample sale and this dress was part of that sale, so it was very affordable and it ended up being the perfect dress for the day.

If you can find something at a bridal shop who is having a sample sale, you might get lucky and find another dress for less cost that you love just as much!

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should wear it twice. You want to make sure you wear it for the day you actually become a wife as that's what you imagined yourself wearing. I would also wear it the following year so everyone can see the dress you chose in person as pictures don't always do justice, or have fun with it and change up the dress the second time around to something more simple and fun...

• Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would absolutely wear it twice! Who really gets to wear their wedding dress more than once? Besides, your guests who attend the second event won't have been able to see the details up close 😉
  • Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm definitely wearing mine on my wedding day regardless. This is the day I'm marrying the love of my life, and I want to feel like the bride I always imagined being. It depends for each person what is most important to them. Regardless of how intimate our day will be, I want the memories and photos and ultimately the feeling of being a total bride.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The choice to wear the dress twice is up to you if that is what you want to do. A light weight dress non full gown is also a choice to wear with immediate family around you this year. Next year can be the actual dress so your husband will see it for the very first time and give that WOW factor.
    Overall, the choice is up to you to go which direction seems best.
  • Karley
    Curious September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Karley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely wear it twice if you love it. However, if you were only going to wear it once, my personal preference would be to wear it for your ceremony this year and then have something more reception friendly for next year.

• Aya
    Beginner May 2021 Quebec
    Aya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think something simple.. not too expensive for this year.. maybe a nice white jumpsuit

Def agree with your mom ! Keep dress for wow factor
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would 100 percent wear it twice! This year is your actual wedding day; I would personally want to wear my wedding dress on the actual day, not just the day we celebrate. The only person I want to wow is my fiance and he would be happy to see me wear it twice anyways Smiley smile I also think people wont remember what it looks like next year anyway. They will remember it's white and any sort of distinguishing factor like fitted, lace, ball gown but they arent going to remember every detail.
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been back and forth on this a million times. Our date is August 8 but we have also postponed our big wedding to August 14, 2021. We are planning to as long as restrictions allow us to have our immediate family there to have a small intimate ceremony. I ordered a simple dress from Azazie. I will make my decision once it comes if I am going to wear it or my wedding gown. As of right now it hasn't been altered either so I need to make a decision in the next few weeks or so. Part of me wants to wear it but the other part wants to save it. I am slightly afraid of wrecking it as well lol. I honestly think it's been one of my hardest decisions to make yet.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would personally wear it twice. Yes, people will see you in your dress if/when you post pictures - but that shouldn't stop you from having pictures of you on your wedding day in your wedding dress just so that others can be surprised.

• T
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would totally wear mine twice! How often do brides get to spend 2 days in their dress!? You can accessorize it different, have your hair and makeup different, go veil one day and no veil the second. I feel like you get to double the “wow factor” you can wow your immediate family and then wow them again with everyone else later.

• Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have decided to do this as well. We're postponing our August wedding until August 2021, but are still planning to have a ceremony this year with immediate family and maybe the wedding party (depending on restrictions). I thought about wearing my dress this year, but I haven't had it altered yet, and would hate to have it altered for now only to have it not fit for our big wedding next year. I ordered a simple bridesmaid dress in a light pink from David's Bridal for our ceremony this year.

I think whatever you decide will be great, there's no wrong decision! It would definitely be nice to get 2 wears of an expensive dress!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm planning to wear mine this year, and next year I might get another. I'm worried if I don't wear mine now that it might not fit next year and I'll have spent a lot of money for nothing.

I get the wow factor, but people will still be excited to see you in "the" dress no matter what you wear. And you could always change up the accessories and makeup so it feels like a different look.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going to wear my dress twice if we have to postpone (we would elope this year and have our reception later if things haven’t improved significantly by our wedding).

I think it’s a great opportunity to get more use out of a dress you spent a lot of money on and typically would only be able to wear once. I can’t imagine spending more money on a second dress when I love my current one. It’s also sort of sad thinking about only wearing it one time and then selling it (or for some people putting it in storage forever).

However if you have the money and would like a second dress then go for it!

• Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is an awesome excuse to get to wear your dress twice! I hear so many brides complain that they only get to wear it once.

However, I get that you might lose the 'wow' factor - but now that you have a year to wait for your reception, that could free up time and budget for a second dress. I certainly wouldn't mind getting to pick out two dresses! David' Bridal has super cute "little white dresses" that are affordable and you could dress up for your small ceremony this year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics