Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert August 2021 British Columbia

We made the call to postpone

Sarah, on May 29, 2020 at 22:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
I’m devastated I really am but at the same time I’m relieved 😌 we made the decision to postpone our August.29,2020 wedding and moved everything to August.29,2021.The stress was getting so bad that I’ve been having tightness in the chest and dizzy spells that I’m now waiting on tests to figure out. I’m sure it was lack of sleep while working through this pandemic and the stress of not knowing if we would go ahead as planned on a smaller scale or not this year.In the end I know we made the right decision and the fact that all of our vendors and venue were so willing to bump our date a full year at no extra charge speaks volumes for their character ♥️ I don’t think we could have done this without all of their support.We will now have extra money to put towards the things we originally couldn’t afford including a photo booth and a rockstar of the officiant world 💜No matter what decisions you make know we are all in this together and I wish each and every one of you reading this a lifetime of happiness.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Carling, on June 1, 2020 at 23:01
  • Carling
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Carling ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want nothing more than to just postpone my November 2020 wedding so I don't have to think about all this anymore but I think we're going to wait until closer to. I don't want to have to send out invitations and everything if it's just not going to happen anyways.

• Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're wedding date buddies! We were also August 29, 2020 and made the decision to postpone to next year (August 28, 2021). It was such a tough decision (with a lot of tears), but the relief I felt immediately after we made our decision was huge. The stress was just becoming too much. While it definitely won't be what we planned, we are gonna do a small ceremony on our actual date this year. I've also contacted all our guests and everyone totally understood and said they will be even more ready to party next year to make up for it! I'm sure yours will be even better now that you can add some things you wouldn't have been able to for this year! Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you ♥️ We have already decided to decorate our back yard as if we were getting married (it was our worst case location) we put a ton of work into the yard so I’m going to make it fancy lol.We are having a house party instead and trashing a dress as my way of letting go of the sadness.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aaww girl I'm so so sorry. Unfortunately this was the hand that a lot of brides/grooms were dealt this year and it's so unfortunate.

With that being said, I'm sure you feel a bit of relief. When we made the decision in the beginning of May, I was sad but I had come to terms with it. It sucks thinking that next weekend my fiancé was supposed to be having his bachelor party, I was going to be having mine and the bridal party... but we can wait another year Smiley smile It's unfortunately but you will feel a lot better once you've gotten over the idea of "well I had to postpone/ I would've been doing XYZ on such and such a date"

Good luck Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omggg i cant even imagine. its such a stressful time for all brides!!!

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thinking of you! So sorry to hear you had to postpone but happy to hear you were able to postpone to the same date next year! So glad to hear too that your venue and vendors made the transition smooth with no additional costs to you! My husband and I did the same, we were to get married May 23rd and were unable to get a license, last minute we were able to find a place still issuing them and got officially married April 25th and have decided to move our celebration to April 25, 2021. Our venue and vendors too were amazing and moved our date for us without hesitation and at no additional costs which was a huge relief!! I definitely thought the same way as you! There's a few things we decided to not go forward with in order to save on some costs and now we have the options to look into them for our new date! I wish you the best and hope your special day is amazing!! Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its great to hear you two took the one step to move the date over cancelling. Its a tough year for many couples including yourselves to feel the pressure of not getting the full day celebration.

Yes the savings is the key to have when the extra time is given and your vendors/venue working to change the date waiving the fee.

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So sorry to hear 😢 Like Amelia said it’s definitely ok to grieve! But I’m glad your vendors have been so accommodating and cooperative. That’s huge. And I love that you’re taking advantage of the extra time to save to enhance your celebration next year. One of the first things I did after we postponed was book a reception band I really wanted that was 100% not in the budget this year 😂

Anyway hang in there and I hope your mental / physical health improves!!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so happy to hear that you're releived (and hopefully less stressed). And remember it's ok to feel devastated and let yourself be upset, we're all in a kind of mourning for the plans and dreams we had that have had to change.

We're pushing our reception to 2021 and I'm also excited to have more time to save up for things that just didn't fit in the original budget. We've already made plans to up our photography coverage!
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It really does 💜 I didn’t realize when we picked it because she’s been gone since I was 8 but it was my grandmothers birthday.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Glad you managed to get the same month and day (if it holds significance).
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It just sucks!But we are having a party on the original date instead.We rather not have friends or family get sick coming to our celebration.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry you have had to postpone but I'm happy for you that you've found a new date!! Just think, next year will be bigger and better! I'm glad to hear that your vendors and venue are switching to your new date with no extra cost.

My fiance and I have done the same with postponing our August 8 2020 wedding to August 7 2021 in Kelowna. Our vendors and venue have also switched to our new date with no added costs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics