Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Monique
Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan

We are officially having a microwedding!

Monique, on May 6, 2020 at 00:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

We cancelled the venue, lost our deposit, and sent out announcements through Facebook to tell people about our smaller wedding! One thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was that when I talked to a lady from the venue, she asked how many people our wedding was and continued to say that she's been talking to other couples who are decreasing their 100+ weddings to 50 people with no issues. I don't mind if people want to have their weddings still but the stress of not knowing is not worth it to me and my fiance. (sorry about the teeny vent)

After that, we sent out these "howler" inspired announcements to the majority of our guests (we have to call our grandmothers who don't have Facebook). I was so worried that our guests would say things like "so when's the celebration?" or "what's the rush? You're young, just postpone until next year." Thankfully no one said anything like that! Whew, that's a load off of my chest. Thanks to everyone on WW for being so supportive!

The only question I have left is I really need help for how to still have a Harry Potter inspired wedding! So far, our idea is to have our ceremony on the cliffs near Elbow, SK. That's not really HP inspired but my fiance and I really loved the photos of the location haha. Then we want to take photos near the cliffs and have a picnic lunch with our few guests. For the HP elements, all we have right now is:

-lilies in my bouquet (like Harry's mom)

-red and yellow for our Hogwarts houses (Gryffindor for FH and Hufflepuff for me)

-red and yellow garter I made

-red bowtie my FH is wearing

-might dye my dress red and/or yellow on the bottom or on the tulle underneath the dress

-a teeny replica of Hogwarts that can go on top of a cake/cheesecake at our picnic

-we have all of the HP books so I thought maybe photos with those could be fun

That might sound like a ton of elements to some, but I had a honeydukes candy table planned, a photo booth with cheesy props, tables with napkins in the different house colors, floating candles, etc. so I'm feeling a bit disappointed I won't be able to have these decor pieces at the wedding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated fam Smiley heart Also, sorry about the essay I wrote haha.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Monique, on June 9, 2020 at 18:19
  • Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've definitely seen a lot of pinterest big weddings but no elopements unfortunately. Thanks! We're really happy about it too lol

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awe thanks! I'm definitely loving the idea of reading together on the cliff, especially since we have a new goal of reading the whole series before the wedding. I'm not sure about rituals during the ceremony, since we would have to bring a table or something with us. Potion pouring would be so awesome! One of the links Amelia shared had a couple mix a 'potion' then drink it. Oooo thats a good idea!

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The first one is so elegant and I love the groom's maroon suit. I love the second one's story, so much love! Definitely going to be stealing the "reading the book together" pose. The fourth one is the aesthetic I aspire to have, with the seating outside the brick wall. Thanks Amelia for all the inspiration!!

• Monique
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha oh man, I never even thought about a Forbidden Forest vibe thanks! That's a good idea, I mean we bought chocolate frog molds and stuff to make sherbet lemon for example, we should totally just make some desserts! I'll ask my florist about the ribbon, I also had the idea to wrap newspaper/pages around the base of the bouquet.

Oooooo yes, the unbreakable vow pose!! Good point about the regular photos.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Printrist some harry potter weddings im sure other girls have done it and there would be pictures on there!! but thats great youre still having your wedding

• Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the elements you have so far are really sweet! I also like the idea of doing something with the books, like reading together on the cliff. You guys could also wear your house scarfs for some of the pictures which would look really cute.

Are you doing any "rituals" during the ceremony? For example how some people do sand pouring or candle lighting, you could maybe have something HP themed for that. Like "potion" pouring instead of sand! That would be really cool.

Edit: I also wanted to add, that have you ever heard of "jumping the broom"? Some couples jump over a broom together after the ceremony to symbolize "sweeping away" your former lives. It's mostly an African-American tradition but is also popular in Wicca and with other pagan groups. I think it would suit your theme pretty well.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found a few, most have *some* HP details, some more than others. A few did some want things, some just had props.

https://offbeatwed.com/harry-potter-inspired-wedding-inspiration/

This one the photos of them reading together are cute!:https://julialuckett.com/shelburne-farms-elopement-photographer-boho/

/new-wedding-ideas/fall-is-for-harry-potter-themed-weddings

https://www.frenchweddingstyle.com/elegant-harry-potter-wedding-in-france/
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've seen some cute Harry Potter themed styled wedding shoots! They were outside as well, so they leaned I to the forbidden forest vibe a bit. I'll see if I can find the photos and send them!

If you're still doing a cake or dessert, even just for your photos, you could do something hobeydukes or HP with that. A small golden snitch cake for the two of you to cut and feed each other, or little pumpkin pasties/pies or treakle tarts if you're not into cake.
    I love the idea of the little details like the undertule of your dress! You could also add ribbon around your bouquet in your house colors, or HP charms to the bouquet the way some people add photo charms (Etsy surely has these).
    Even just a few (potentially slightly cheesy) photos with wands would be fun! Maybe try to get your officiant to pose an "unbreakable vow" photo of your hands clasped with a wand above them. And close-up photos of the rings and bouquet with a few magical elements like the wands would be cute too.
    It depends on how much HP you want. I think as long as a few photos don't have as much HP as others (for the family members who want "normal" ones) you'll be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics