Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Walking down the aisle

Tori, on October 29, 2018 at 10:55

Posted in Wedding ceremony 59

So this is a question that I have been putting off but figure - why not survey the rest of the community?? Will you be walking down the aisle with your dad? Will it be both parents? How about you and your Mom Flying solo? How about a kid filling the role? Any body else like an uncle or brother? I...

So this is a question that I have been putting off but figure - why not survey the rest of the community??

Will you be walking down the aisle with your dad?

cfb_37281.jpg

Will it be both parents?

cfb_37283.jpg

How about you and your Momcfb_37285.jpg

Flying solo?cfb_37289.jpg

How about a kid filling the role?cfb_37287.jpg

Any body else like an uncle or brother?

I myself have yet to decide... Do I want to go solo, with my dad, or both parents??

59 Comments

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How long has your step-dad been around? Even if it has only been a few years, if you think that he has really helped to shape you I would see what your dad thinks about it. You could always mention the father daughter dance would only be with your dad? Or the other way around and have just your dad walk you down but have a dance with both of them?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't get me wrong - I love the whole dad or parents giving me away, but there is also still a part of me that wants all the attention and for all eyes to be on me with a grand walk down the aisle!! lol, can you tell that I'm a Leo?? haha

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this!! See, this is why I'm having such a tough time deciding - I feel that my mom and dad have both contributed equally into making me the woman that I am today. At the same time I always pictured it being my dad that gives me away because of how "traditional" it is... but back to the beginning - my parents do everything together as well and on top of that have been married for over 30 years! (good luck much?)

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds beautiful to me. And if there are any issues that arise from mentioning it to your dad-dad we are here for you!!
  • Petra
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Petra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dad will be walking me down the aisle. I’ve seem weddings where the bride and groom walk together and thought about that as well
  • Krista
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having my fiancé’s grandpa walk me down the isle as my family isn’t thrilled with the idea of me getting married. We are having a very small wedding and we thought this would be best. He’s super excited about it too.
  • Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Walking with my dad. My brother (who is the only son) will walk with my mom. The discussion came up of both and I don’t like the idea. I’ll be overthinking how to carry my flowers, how my dress will be covered, how there’s the two on either side of me walking at different paces etc.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Both parents for me! And they will be "presenting" me... not "giving me away" I cant stand that term
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ideally I would like both my dad and my stepdad to walk me down the aisle. However, I am scared it will offend my real dad if I also ask my step dad.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I walked down with my dad but I had my mom and my uncle walk down in the processional together. They are twins so I thought it would be a nice added element!
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is one I'm struggling with. This is my second wedding and both my parents walked me down the aisle the first time. I'm still deciding whether I'll have my dad walk me down the aisle or go it solo this time around.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ill be having both my dad and my step dad walk me down the aisle
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That can be tough. I'm lucky in that my biological dad really isn't around so I only have the 1 to walk me down. I think your plan is excellent and very sweet. People can get really emotional about things that they perceive as drawing attention to their failings, but stick to your guns! And come complain on here if you need Smiley smile

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be walking with both parents. That's the tradition in Jewish ceremonies. Originally I was just going to get my dad to do it. We have a very special relationship because he legally adopted me when I was 7 and we both hate it when people refer to us as "step-dad" or "step-daughter". I want him to know just how grateful I am that he found me and my mom and he's part of my life. But my mom also risked her life with my pregnancy and has given up absolutely everything in exchange for me to have the life I have now, so I'm so amazingly happy that they're both going to be there. Plus my parents do everything together, they might as well do this together too.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in quite the predicament, where my mom remarried when I was 7. So my step dad was the 'dad' in my house til I was 18, and has still been a big part of my life since. He's been my "also dad" for 19 years...

I am going to have my dad walk me into the room, down the first half of the room (long, narrow space), and have my step-dad be waiting at the first row of chairs, stand up and join us til the end of the aisle. Kind of symbolizing him joining me later in life, but still being important. I haven't told my dad-dad this plan yet, and I'm not looking forward to it, but it's my choice, so it's what is going to happen, no matter his reaction.

My dad will also get the official father/daughter dance, and I'm going to have my step-dad join me part-way through my FH's dance with his mom.

• Keisha
    Beginner August 2019 British Columbia
    Keisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely both parents Smiley heart can't imagine going down the aisle without either mom or dad by my side Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both Parents!

I will be walking down with my arms linked and holding both my parents hand, and on the way up I'll be carrying the bouquet.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wow! lol Now that would be something different!! I too imagined just my Dad walking me down the aisle and giving me away but I'll have to try and see if my mom would care and/or how much it would mean to her to be on my one side.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in between just my dad and both my dad and my mom. I know my dad is looking forward to it, plus I won't have the time getting ready with him but my mom will be there. It'd be nice to have a moment with him alone since I'll have many with my mom that morning, plus I feel like she isn't expecting to walk with me.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had imagined it to be just my dad, but that (surprisingly) hurt my mom's feelings. This also comes from the woman who thought she'd be walking between myself and my dad...I had to tell her I'd be in the middle LOL Smiley laugh

I still have lots of time to figure it out, but I might walk down the aisle with both parents.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its my uncle walking me down. which is my mom's brother. I don't know my biological dad, my mom passed away. her parents raised me. my grandpa (whom I called dad) passed away. this uncle is his son. so its the connection of having them. and my uncle and my aunt have been there through EVERYTHING with me. they are who I do my holidays with, family stuff.

and my uncle is BEYOND excited about it. talked about it for months after I asked him. now hes onto finding a song for our 1st dance. and just driving my aunt nuts making her continually listen to songs! hahah

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ll be having my dad. My mum actually didn’t want to walk down the aisle and be the centre of attention with me lol. I’m excited for it because my dad and I will have some time for just us in the limo and then before I walk down the aisle which will be really nice.
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never been a person to fantasize about my dream wedding but I've always known 2 things: I want just my dad to walk me down the aisle, and the song I will dance with him to for the father/daughter dance. When I told my mom that I wanted only my dad to walk me down the aisle she was a little upset and I think felt left out but I told her it wasn't meant as an offence, and I was planning to have my brother walk her down the aisle. She was okay with it after that.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be having just my dad walk me down. Staying a little bit traditional. Smiley smile

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's something that I was concerned with too - I have never heard my mom say anything that would lead me to believe that she expects to walk me down the aisle but don't know what to say if she brings it up and I don't want to hurt her feelings. You have a point with the whole getting ready thing though.

• Casey
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dad and my stepdad are walking me down the aisle. My mum, dad, and stepdad will give me away at the end to show their blessing. Smiley smile I have a mixed family and I want to show that I love both of the men who raised me and my mum too.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be having my dad walk me down the aisle. My mom assumed it would be both her and my dad doing it, because that’s what she did, but that’s not what we’ll be doing. For me, I know my mom will get to be so involved in all the showers and celebrations, as well as getting ready with me the morning of, and that will be her time. My dad gets this one thing, walking down the aisle, and i’m sure it’s something he’s been looking forward to since I was born. I’m excited to have that moment with just him and I on my wedding day

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics