Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Discussion closed

A
Super September 2022 Alberta

Vows

Alyx, on September 4, 2022 at 11:06 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Saved
My fiancé is quite shy and he doesn’t like attention on him. So even our first dance and his dance with his mom he doesn’t really want to do it but he’s doing it to make us happy.
I really wanted to do our own vows, which he knows and we’ve talked about. He has expressed to me that he really doesn’t want to do his own vows. He thinks it’s too personal and it should just be between us. I’m not upset with this I understand how he feels.

My question is .. would it be weird if only I did my own vows and he didn’t ? Lol like he just said the readings that were from our officiant and not his own vows , if that makes sense!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Carine, on September 6, 2022 at 10:46
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are doing a first look that could be your private vows to each other, of in a secret letter the day of. Also wouldn't be weird if you did your own vows and he did one from the Officiant.

My FH is the same, he is not looking forward to our first dance and a parent dance. So I found our first song that last 1 min and then we both are jumping to a parent dance together so all eye's will be on me anyways lol. Then he can go off and play lawn games while I dance the night away. I do have times during the night where we have 5 min to each other.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've heard of couples doing private vows after the ceremony! Writing each other letters could be another option!
  • Cleria
    Newbie January 2023 British Columbia
    Cleria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly I would feel the same as you! ❤️❤️
  • Alex
    Newbie August 2024 Ontario
    Alex ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should do whatever you guys want! Not weird at all. Do what makes you guys happy. I’ve been to so many weddings where people do things in their own unique way. One option I might recommend though is doing your own vows privately.. it’s more intimidate and private.
  • A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for everyone’s comments!
    We are not doing a first look, maybe we can do private vows , but I think I’m just going to do the repeat after me vows 😬 I feel too uncomfortable doing it by myself and I’m not a great public speaker anyway ! Lol
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you guys considered maybe doing private vows before the ceremony?
  • Rebecca
    Newbie April 2023 British Columbia
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Would you two be doing anything else in private like the first look or something? Maybe you can exchange your own vows then, and then do the officiant vows at the ceremony.
  • Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s weird if it’s only you. Maybe after the standard repeating after the officiant (both of you), they can announce that you have written a few words that you’d like the surprise the groom with. Then he doesn’t look unprepared and you can gush all you want ❤️
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can he at least read the vows from the officiant off a paper instead of repeating it after him? That way, it sounds like they're his without him needing to struggle to find words to express the vows, and it won't come off like you're the only one who wrote your own.

• A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also He’s just not a mushy gushy person! He doesn’t post our family on social media or anything like that, he’s very private person! So I don’t want to force him into something he’s not comfortable with

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics