Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Videography

Sara, on February 9, 2021 at 12:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Who has had or is having videographers for their wedding? Does anyone regret NOT having one? Would anyone recommend having it?

My fiance thinks wedding videos are a little awkward and over the top. I'd somewhat agree, however, now that we may not be able to invite our full guestlist, I think it would be nice to have something special to show the guests that we are going to be unable to invite due to Covid.

I contacted a videographer today, and let him know that we don't want anything edited or "cinematic" - if I want to edit some stuff together, I can do this myself. He said that he would be able to do raw footage of the ceremony and speeches for under $1000, which seems pretty reasonable to me (I think?). The only thing is, he recommended 5 camera angles and 2-3 videographers. This seems like it would be SO over the top and distracting to me.. especially with a photographer on top of it.

If you had videographers at your wedding, did you find it distracting at all? I just really don't want to take away from our moment because we have 6 different cameras in our faces...

12 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on February 15, 2021 at 18:04
  • Sarah
    Beginner August 2023 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for posting this! I keep going back and forth on it.
    We got engaged at home, just the 2 of us and I love that it wasn’t filmed as it is our little memory and ours alone. Because of this I thought maybe I didn’t need a video but now thinking about it, I love watching videos of other weddings on social media and they do give me so much joy and excitement for my day to come. I can imagine I’ll love my own even more!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a videographer though he did not give a great result of the end product. We did pay for a whole day and got 1 video angle only as he didn't seem as flexible on the price for 2. All our families have had videography which was part of the vendor team and happy to see the wedding day when we get older to look back at our youthful age of happiness. We did get raw footage along with the edited version.

Your videographer is giving a great deal for 5 or 6 videographers for the price we paid for 1 only. The raw footage will give you many angles to choose of what you want to add into your video at the end if you have someone that does editing as I have to look into it myself for a better copy of the remake.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t have a professional videographer but we did stream and record it on zoom for my family who couldn’t be there due to Covid. The quality is awful but it is nice to have. I don’t think I’d spend the money to have a professional record my wedding if I could do it again but having a tripod set up with an iPhone can’t hurt. We also had a lav mic set up because we were outdoors near a major road and the sound quality was fine.
  • Bailey
    Curious October 2021 Alberta
    Bailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We weren’t planning to have one ! But my new co worker is a professional photographer (does it as a side gig) and she offered to do the video as a gift ! But other then that we would have not had one
  • Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have booked a videographer and am so glad I did. It was a splurge for sure but I have been obsessed with his wedding videos for years.

I am a little disappointed that our video will likely have everyone in masks (June 2021 wedding) and we won't get the typical "party scenes" we had envisioned but regardless I am glad we will have our getting ready/ceremony and speeches to look back on.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I aren't having one. We don't want to spend money on something that we don't want to have. Just because it's a new "trend" at weddings, doesn't mean you have to have one

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped it and I don't regret it, but it was never on our list. Because of covid we had asked a friend to record it in case our zoom stream crashed and he forgot, I think he expected me to be upset but honestly now I don't need to watch myself (which I hate) in front of any family member who wants to see the wedding but couldn't be there for years to come.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this company is trying to squeeze you out for more money. Two is more than enough for a traditional wedding. Three shooters is over the top and with couples trying to find room in order to fit their guests, an extra vendor/crew member is one less person you can invite. Especially with you wanting more of a home video feel rather than a glorified commercial/music video. You can easily find solo videographers who offer services with a single shooter.

Since you don't want the cinematic edit, a student can technically do this for you. Send a job notice to the dean of their film program at Confederation College and a bunch of people will probably take you up on it.

• Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I kind of regret not having one. My husband and I got married in front of our parents only and postponed our reception for next year. It was so intimate that I didn’t think it was necessary.... but it was so beautiful I wish I had a little video. We have beautiful photos but they don’t quite capture all of the little moments honestly.
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is something I have been struggling with. We originally didn't have anyone booked but then with postponing and now likely a smaller wedding I started pricing them out and almost booked someone. Then my MOH thought maybe it was something I didn't need and it was just being extra so then I decided I am going to wait awhile and see how things play out. Part of me thinks I will be ok without and maybe we should just set up our own video camera for the day. But another part of me really wants it done. My fiance said this is something that's totally up to me he doesn't need it but is game if I feel I want it lol.
  • Christine
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are looking at videogeaphers for our wedding after a number of our friends expressed regret at not having one at theirs. That said, I have found prices to be quite high for what actually gets delivered. Apparently most couples these days are keen on having short clips (3-4 minutes or up to 8) because it's easy to share on social media.

My fiancé and I are a little more traditional, and mostly concerned with having a complete record of the ceremony and speeches. I've noticed that many videographers don't offer the raw files or do so at an additional cost. (Noting here that I understand they are artists/entrepreneurs and have bills to pay. I'm not saying they need to under-value their work)
    We have found a few vidogrpahers who meet our budget and can provide a more fulsome record of the day. After reviewing their work, my breath has been taken away at what they can do.
    Similarly to you, we have also focused on solo videographers to lessen the number of "crew" people working the day. We are confident that a solo videographer can do the right work/angle without needing lots of equipment or extra videographers.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t book videography for our wedding but because covid cancelled our engagement shoot, our photographer made a short video with clips from throughout the day. We honestly didn’t notice and our little vid is our favourite part of our photo collection.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics