Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate
Featured August 2022 Ontario

Venue Venue Venue!

Kate, on April 22, 2024 at 14:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19

Hi Community,

Let's talk one major important detail of the wedding...the venue! What were some of your deal breakers when searching for the perfect spot? What details were you not willing to compromise on?

For us, the following was super important:

- space appropriate to our party size. We had a small wedding therefore I wanted somewhere more cozy so it did not feel bare and like we were not filling up the space.

- a space that allowed for live music. Live music was a big part of our vibe and had we not been able to host something like this, I would have looked at another venue.

- a space with a kitchen so the cook and catering staff could prepare all meals on site instead of it being brought in.

- a space that had indoor as well as outdoor space. Our venue had a terrace which I loved the idea of people being able to wander in and out.

Share your deal breakers for the perfect spot! Smiley heart

19 Comments

Latest activity by CASSEY, on June 15, 2024 at 12:09
  • Rebecca
    Newbie October 2024 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Having something covered was a must and we wanted a big party for the reception. As it is traditionally for my Croatian fiancés family having a venue that allowed shots was a must! Zivjeli!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was super easy!

• AM N
    Newbie June 2025 British Columbia
    AM N ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted a venue with things included.
    The cost can add up when everything is separate.
    So finding a venue that had the catering, bar, staff, set up take down for ceremony and reception all at one location was very appealing.
  • N
    Newbie October 2025 British Columbia
    Nataline ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly we had to choose a place that wasn't in our dream spot solely based on the price. We wanted to get married in Jasper, AB but everything was so pricey. We decided on the See Ya Later Ranch, Okanagan Falls, British Columbia, because they had a beautiful venue and the price for everything was extremely reasonable!
  • Laura
    Newbie June 2024 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Living in a tourist town makes me want no tourists anywhere in site on my wedding which is why we plan on having it far away from Banff! Smiley xd

• M
    Newbie July 2025 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We really didn't have a dream venue in mind. I've had it in my head since I was a little girl that I've always wanted to get married at my childhood church that is rarely open anymore. Luckily, we had some family connections to book the church! My fiance was very open to it and we went to see the church. We booked it on the spot.

Being that we're getting married in one of the hottest months in the Summer (July) air conditioning was a must for our dinner/reception venue! The Community Hall we found is accessible and air conditioned with two massive rooms for guests to be comfortable!

We also lucked out with family being able to help us plan all aspects!

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ou, that's a great tip! My son actually made me think of that with a photographer, just taking out the word wedding brought the price down so much, I'm not looking for the entire day with all the bells and whistles so it's been difficult with their minimums
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes so true! And also if you attach 'wedding...' to anything it becomes a premium price, "wedding updo" "wedding cake" ...instead of just an event updo and a fancy cake - a little trick I learnt along the way Smiley smile

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Absolutely, I've gagged at some of the prices. One thing I learned, is a weekday vs weekend will play a factor in price as well. My 2k would be 5 if it were a weekend
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Price is definitely a factor! I could not blow a budget that much and sleep well at night lol

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love that! I can relate on the smaller wedding size.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good call! I fell in love with a couple spots too that had never hosted a wedding and ultimately I did not want to risk the possible disorganization and I hear you on not being stuck to a certain vendor list - food is important!

I'm sure it will all work out beautifully Smiley heart

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds beautiful!

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Price! I'd love to be able to choose the brickwork gothic dream venue. But.... Min 12k not including anything but the space.... Found a space, I paid 2k down which covers everything from setup to year down and all the linens, center pieces, you name it.... Price will always win
  • Y
    Newbie September 2024 Ontario
    Yuliana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted a place that would allow 50 people or less and would let us bring our own alcohol (since it is a huge money saver). We found a perfect place - it used to be a church but has been used as an event venue for years now. Super simple and relaxed feel to it. And that is just who we are 😁
    Most places I looked at had a minimum ppl count set at 75-100 and we didn't want to have so many ppl
  • Cherise
    Newbie March 2025 Ontario
    Cherise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had fallen in love with what we thought was our 'dream venue', but they had never hosted a wedding before and were adamant about a specific catering company we didn't love. We were willing to take on the extra work to make it happen but it didn't feel like they were willing to put in the effort on their end. Our 2nd choice venue had a wedding showcase and they put so much love and care towards everything without any pressure. It truly felt like a community, and we immediately realized that working with a group of people who cared about us would be more important than sticking to our original vision. It was our deal breaker!

• R
    Newbie August 2024 Ontario
    Rylea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We thankfully didn’t have any deal breakers, we’re getting married on my fiancé’s family farm! Rain back up, multiple beautiful ceremony locations weather dependent, and of course an 1800’s barn as the back drop 🥂
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds easy! Smiley heart

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had no deal breakers we both knew where we were getting married at from the get go since we had been to the venue a few times over the years.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics