Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Zara
Frequent user May 2021 Ontario

Venue Price Gouging (2x)

Zara, on September 30, 2021 at 00:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

Hi everyone,

How are you dealing with venues doubling their "agreed" prices per plate? We spoke in May to get our deposit back since there was a lockdown. Venue refused to give the deposit saying they don't have any money. We felt bad and agreed that we will postpone to a later date once things have settled. When we reached out again today, venue told us that they are doubling the price per plate. In May, it was not communicated to us that he will be doubling the price and our contract does not have a "prices subject to change" clause. Anyone experienced this? Are they even allowed to do such thing? I understand couple of bucks but doubling the price seems like they are taking advantage. It was going to be a weekday (Thursday) wedding in December. We didn't even reduce the guest size and said we will keep the original guest count.

16 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on October 24, 2021 at 14:12
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah that’s amazing to hear! So happy for you and your SO to find another alternative!! Sorry once again, that you’re going through this, but it should be over soon.
  • Zara
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is very unfortunate that we have to deal with their unprofessionalism. Yes, we did find somewhere else that works for us. Smiley smile So at least I am happy to find another alternative.

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m really sorry that you’re still having to deal with them and going through this Zara. That’s very unprofessional of them at this extent. I really wish you all the best in the final steps of getting this finalized, so that you can focus on your wedding planning.

Did you find another venue that works for you guys?
  • Zara
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sent a legal demand letter for refund but we are still being ignored by them with no response. Looks like we will be filing a complaint and proceeding with lawsuit. I do not know why they keep dragging this on...

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The venue isn't in the legal process of upgrading the prices if it doesn't claim on their contracts. Good for you to get your deposit back since the owners have no clue what they are doing or changing the information on their contracts based on what is legal.

Its best you leave that venue and find a better one who knows what they are doing and better understanding of the business aspect professionally.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, if you're not in a position to walk away, I can see how you could be taken advantage of.
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yeah, makes total sense!
    Don’t want to have a terrible situation if you do stay.
    But yes, collect that deposit and put it on a better venue! Oh yeah, that’s totally fine. It’s all in the wedding planning life. Haha
  • Zara
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I am never coming back. I will get my deposit and find somewhere with better business practices. But it was a great lesson learned. I will make sure our new contract with the new venue will have everything written in detail with no questions.

• Zara
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I heard from other couples that the venue changed the price last minute but they didn't know their rights and in fear of having their wedding cancelled, they didn't have any option but to go forward with it. My lawyer informed me that what the venue doing is illegal so we will be drafting a letter to the venue now to get our money back.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sure your legal clinic will explain in more detail but the short version is, venues can impose higher charges but you have to agree to it. One party in a contract can't just unilaterally change the terms, which is why it was illegal in your case.
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just saw the update! Haha!
    But yes, I’m happy that you got some information and will get to the bottom of it!! The only thing now is making sure that you’ll have a great time at this venue after this happens. So I’m hoping that you’ll at least get to it deposit back to then have another/better venue.
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Zara 👋🏾
    So so sorry that you’re going through this with your venue. That’s such a terrible situation that they have you in. I’ve never heard anyone venue double their plates. In this situation I would notify them that they did not indicate that at anytime the price will change after the deposit was put down. Should they still give you trouble, it would be best to seek a lawyer to get this sorted. People are getting ridiculous during this vivid wedding times. Probably because they are not making as much as they did the other years. But that still does not give them the right to do this to people. We can barely afford weddings at times since it’s so expensive but to make it ridiculous. Such a shame! Wishing you the best on this. Keep us posted!
  • Zara
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Update- We contacted a community legal clinic and have been informed that this is illegal. Hence, they are helping us either to get the original pricing or the deposit back

• Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Zara
    We experienced this as well. While the price was not double, it was still an increase. We postponed three times- and on the final time they told us prices went up because Covid would not be “a thing” in 2022.
    We came to some agreement- but I was very upset. We received no new contracts and our current contract signed in 2019 does not say anything about price increases.
    I’m sorry you are experiencing this as well. Some companies are clearly taking advantage of the situation and of the couples who are spending their hard earned money. Our lawyer did tell us that it is not legal, but also asked if we had the money or the time to fight it- or a venue to replace them. Which we currently don’t. If you are able to seek out support I encourage you to do so. It’s just not right.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yikes I'm so sorry yo hear this. My venue changed nothing. I pay exactly what I signed for back in 2018! The prices for new weddings has gone up quite a bit I noticed on their website but even if I was booking today the prices are reasonable. I would definitely maybe see if you can find a lawyer that does a free hour to find out where you stand. Is your deposit less than if you walk away you will still save money somewhere else?
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with not being able to get your deposit back... deposits are there for a reason. However, this sucks and I'm so sorry to hear it. Price increases were in our contract (up to a max of 10%) but luckily it didn't happen. I would honestly seek legal support on that because it is not in your contract so it's not what you agreed to - do you know someone you could at least just ask? That being said, is the pricing you thought you'd have anywhere in the contract? I had my best friend (lawyer) look through all of our contracts and add/change things 😅.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics