Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

Venue forces guests to book all the rooms for night of wedding, if not we have to pay for unused rooms?

Nz, on March 9, 2021 at 08:50 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 6
I am considering a venue that has 46 rooms. Its a resort type place and about 4.5 hrs away for about half of the potential guests, and 1.5 hrs away for the othe half.

They want 23 rooms booked for the Friday before the wedding and all 45 booked for the night of. If they are not all booked, we have to pay for the unused rooms.
I kind of assumed that everyone would stay over at least the night of the wedding, since I've never been to a wedding where I didnt stay at the hotel overnight. However, one of my friends mentioned that some people might leave to drive the 1.5hrs home or stay somewhere else. I will admit the cost is pricey (would be around 150 bucks a person per night) but they would get access to kayaks, canoes, a hiking trail, meals and a pool and hot tub and tons of other recreation during their stay and also next to a stunning lake. Not to mention the whole resort would be private just for the wedding
Our guest list is currently around 130 people. which includes the plus ones for everyone. Do you guys think its risky to book this? Im guessing some people wont come due to distance but I have no idea how many will stay over now. Thanks!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Christiana, on March 10, 2021 at 20:15
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would absolutely not drive home 1.5 hours after a wedding unless I had to work the next day or something. I think more people will stay than you think but it's possible they might try to find a less expensive option. It's probably a good idea to ask your guests whether most of them would book a room before making a decision.

• C
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm literally doing the exact same thing next September . Where abouts is your venue?

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if it’s in your budget to cover the cost of all the unfilled rooms that it is a great sounding venue. But personally I would never stay overnight when it is such a short drive home. If I was 4 hours away I would stay overnight. But also, some guests from far away might have another hotel in mind for the night
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am sure you will have the rooms booked since you have a large guest list to cover your basis. We too had to make room blocks for the wedding to ensure our guests would have rooms to stay for the days staying at the venue. The price all depends on what they set at for wedding packages as to their regular price of stay.

Family weddings vebues room costs have cone close to what your getting told for guests. Keeping in mind Indian weddings can go 4 days to a week time.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It looks like the venue is trying to maximize their accommodation revenue because I assume they can't take bookings while the wedding is on the grounds. Normally unclaimed rooms in hotel blocks are released after a certain date prior to the wedding. There is a high chance that the ones driving 1.5hrs will just leave early rather than stay the night.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d suggest polling your guests to see if it’s something the majority are interested in, that way you’ll have a good idea of the opinion and not be on the hook for all these rooms in case the majority answer is no. I would probably expect many will want to either stay elsewhere that’s cheaper or attempt the drive if its only 90 minutes.
    Personally, I know I couldn’t afford to pay $150ppn for an overnight stay that isn’t a vacation we’ve saved for, but your guests might be more receptive to the idea.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics