Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner May 2021 Ontario

Venue adding "covid fees" to contract

K, on February 1, 2021 at 09:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 3
Hi all!!
Like many brides, my wedding has been derailed by the pandemic. My original plans were axed and now my venue has offered me a 20 person "whirlwind wedding". We agreed to sign a new contract to reflect this.

I got the contract by email last week and noticed they slid a $3/per guest "COVID fee" for masks!! I quickly replied and said I'm not paying that, I will be supplying my own masks. This venue likes to throw a gratuity on most things, tax the gratuity, and then add the taxes gratuity to the subtotal and tax it again. I have a feeling the "mask fee" would be taxed.
I have no problem providing my own masks. I have yet to receive a reply from my venue and I technically only have 2 weeks to sign the new contract. They're still holding on to my original $1200 deposit.
Has anyone fought a similar fee like this being snuck onto their contract and won??

3 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 3, 2021 at 20:12
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This venue has caught on the times with the mask fee to add now making more on top of what they offer. Its crazy to make you sign the contract agreeing to this fee. Its smart not to wait until you get a response and get it in writing the fee is waived for the masks.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They're technically allowed to charge you whatever they want, but you certainly don't have to agree to it. This is definitely the first I've heard of a masking fee.

If they're being aggressive about it, you can say you'll report them to the province for price gouging.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sounds like your venue is a bit sketchy. If you’re providing your own masks I don’t see how they can charge for that. Just be firm and if they won’t back down ask them to send you information backing up why they are allowed to charge a COVID fee. Most people trying to take advantage of you will back down once they can’t back up their own claims.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics