Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Super September 2022 Alberta

Venting i guess… 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Alyx, on January 17, 2022 at 01:03 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
My fiancé and I decided when planning that venue, catering and florals were the most important things to us. For my photography was too but my grandma said her family friend could do it for us and for really cheap so I took her up on the offer .. I so regret it 🤦🏼‍♀️
We had our engagement photos with him in September and there is 4 out of 165 that I like. He’s very awkward and was wven asking us what poses we should do !? So I had to get my Pinterest out and show him!
I see all these beautiful engagement shoots on Instagram and it makes me so sad I won’t have pictures with my fiancé like that. We will never get to relive this time in our lives! Anyway! So my big main of concern is the wedding not only and am I going to be with this awkward guy all day from 7am to 9pm but the day is time sensitive he needs to make sure he is banging out photos and knowing what to do!! He hasn’t done many weddings from his portfolio on his website looks like he’s done 5 lol I wish I took my time finding a good photographer in my price range. I can’t back out now as I hired him in February and he’s a family friend.. so because I was concerned with all of this lol .. This is probably a crazy bride moment but I made him several collages photos in each category from details, getting ready , reception.. you name it! Of every shot I wanted and photos to go with it. In the email I told him it doesn’t have to be these exact shots Ofcourse but I wanted him to get the vibe I’m going for and what kind of photos I would like!! I already know I’m crazy for doing this. But I already payed him for engagement shoot that I hate and regret and I would be devastated if it would happen to our wedding photos! He was actually a great sport and responded with thanks alyx this is awesome! 😂🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️Anyway I leave all you new brides with this tip.. make sure you take your time choosing each vendor don’t jump on booking someone just because you think it’s a great price! Their are so many vendors out there now a days, pick someone who you can vibe well with! Especially if your going to be with them for the entire day of your wedding 😬😬😬

10 Comments

Latest activity by Alyx, on January 28, 2022 at 00:37
  • A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks haha I’m sure it will be fine! 😅🤷🏼‍♀️
    He is the only professional photographer we have coming and unfortunately it’s not in our budget to get another one!
    Also he wouldn’t be invited to our wedding as guest, he’s not that close with us, he’s strictly there to photograph! His grandma and my grandma are close friends and we spent a couple summers together when we were 15 but other than that I don’t really know him too well! My grandma knew I needed a photographer within a certain budget and called him up for us , so it was a lot harder for me to say no to him and look for other professionals 😬

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your a tough cookie to hold on to this family friend to do the photography for the wedding though it does seem concerning to see what the end result will be for the pictures. I can only imagine what's going through your mind when sending the poses of what you would like and hope he does the concept without having to ask questions.

If the option was to keep him for the prep/getting ready and back up as you do have a professional photographer to do the rest of the it for the getting ready, ceremony and reception photos. The family friend can enjoy himself for reception as a guest than to take pictures.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I agree with you. I’m that person too that like to look back at photos! Also, I have memory issues — so seeing photos helps me a great deal to bring back memories.

Ah yeah, that’s a good deal indeed. We just have to mold him for the day! Hahaha. Prep him nice and good for it to come out the way you hope!
    Ohhhhh yes, that would keep him in check and make sure that the person that knows what you want is able to see it happen while you’re busy trying to pose and smile and think about how you just married the love of your life. Hehe! 💕💕
  • A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We don’t have a day of coordinator or wedding planner (not in the budget)
    My photographer said he’d like someone a friend or family member of mine to help him with the list so I think Tunisia was very helpful with that suggestion!
    That is a good way to afford a second shooter thanks for the tip!!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You gave your photographer a shot list - that should be enough. Your bridal party can help remind him during the photo session if need be but the coordinator really shouldn't be tagging along on your photography sessions as they would have more pressing matters to tend to. And I would imagine no vendor would react well to being micromanaged the way it's being suggested here and it likely won't work to your benefit as well.

If you're absolutely scared about not getting the shots you want, I recommend getting a second shooter. You can get one for a shorter length (ie 4 hours instead of the standard 8 or 12) to cut costs. Have this person come in during the most important parts (the ceremony and bridal party shoot, maybe some getting ready). If questioned, just say you're looking for additional coverage for those specific segments. Maybe have your family friend shoot b-roll or the guests mingling during cocktail hour while 2nd shooter does the bridal shots.

• A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I hear ya!! At least you do have some photos you like and you got a good price !! People say none of that stuff matters it’s just about the love and commitment your making , which I absolutely agree with!! but I am also someone who loves some good photos to look back on! Haha

When I was looking for photographers for our wedding I could only find packages that were like 3000 dollars or more so i think that’s why I jumped the gun and booked right away with our photographer, I just thought I won’t find anyone who will do it within our budget, but Now looking back I think I could’ve found someone for cheaper price and more wedding experience But all of that said I think I’m getting an ok family/friend discount… We’re paying 1200 for the videographer (2min highlight reel of the day) Engagement shoot and wedding day
    Yes that is such a good idea! I’m definitely going to have someone helping him , on top of making him the shot list having someone helping him out I bet would make things go much more smooth!
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Alyx,
    I sort of had the similar feeling with you.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE photos. We did not have a videographer, we just wanted a photographer. They were not in my budget for the amount that it cost to pay for 1. Hahaha. So we have a family friend that takes photos (he’s very great, but does more studio/sports portraits), and he took our family fall 🍂 photos and we fell in love with them. But some of my wedding photos are “ehhhh”. But I still cherish the ones I have that I can at least book back at.
    It’s great that you created a list, because I found a few online and did the same. At least he has that and you can have your day of coordinator or someone you trust to keep an eye on making sure the list or ideas are being followed. Ours had the list on him and I guess through all the hustle and bustle, he put it in the corner and forgot all about it. Haha. But that’s fine, he asked for $600 for engagement and wedding photos and I accept what I got which was good enough.
    I wish it all works out well for you. 🙏🏾💕
  • Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry you are dealing with that! The photos were really important to me, but we also couldn't afford an all day photographer for $10,000. We ended up finding a photographer who allowed us to book for only 2 hours for just under $800. We are only doing a creative session with him before our ceremony (Myself, fiancé and our daughter).

• A
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately no we can’t afford a 2nd photographer and we are already paying for a videographer too.. there really is no solution to this problem but I thought I’d share my experience to help other brides learn from my experience!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Could it be an option to hire a 2nd photographer? Just say to the family friend you're wanting to help streamline the process and make it easier for him?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics