Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Steph
Expert June 2022 Ontario

Vendor Tips

Steph, on July 2, 2019 at 01:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
Hey all! I'm feeling conflicted on this whole vendor tip topic. Our vendors don't require it in the contracts or anything, but we are paying for each of them (4-6 people) to have the exact dinner our guests are having - including open bar but minus the alcohol. I would usually tip them, but their dinners will be $100 each (as priced out by the venue)...do I still tip them on top of that? How much? I know they don't ask for dinner but they'll be at the venue from at least 3:30pm-11:30pm and it doesn't feel right to not give them anything to eat all day. And I hear it's the norm now to pay for a dinner for them. Sooooo I'm just watching the numbers add right up...and I'm growing greys as they add.. lol HELP! 🙈

21 Comments

Latest activity by Caitlyn, on June 13, 2022 at 09:19
  • Caitlyn
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know for our DJ providing a meal was in the contract or they had the right to leave to get food, For our photographer i asked if they wanted a meal and the company said it would be appreciated as they are there for a while. i will be tipping my dj the end of the night as for the photographer they will be getting tipped when i get photos back

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did both. They had dinner and they were tipped. Keep in mind how much they are doing for you and same as a restaurant- tip based on their service. I ended up adding more money for our photographer and DJ by the end of the night because I could just not believe how amazing they were. Tip is technically a courtesy but I had people telling me all night it was the best wedding ever and the music was amazing so I just felt like dinner wasn't enough to say thank you. we didn't tip the venue because they included that in our total.
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh ok that sounds good. I'm gonna keep that in mind, working for the company vs owning totally makes a difference. Thank you!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you feel bad about not tipping, $20 could be enough. I think it all depends on the quality of service they provided. We're feeding our vendors and definitely tipping the ones who are coming from a company (if they are the owner and operator of their company, then we won't tip them).

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha that's true! Thank youuuu!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, you've got this!

Just think - they are relying on YOU for a job. You are the one that determines if they have one and you are in control!

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    And then they get a reasonable tip. Do you wanna reach out and ask them for me? I hate talking about money stuff with vendors 😂 just kidding, but I'll definitely ask them
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! Basically 2 people per team 🤦‍♀️ I dont mind if 1 wants dinner and they share and then they get a
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The only problem is if you have multiple people on the vendor team that are from the same company and one says dinner and the other says tip and they may talk to each other but that's not really a you problem.

I would have no problem asking them, I'm sure this isn't their first wedding that they have worked at and should know that the cost of a meal is pretty high in this day and age!

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah it was something I forgot to ask them in the hiring process but nobody ever mentioned it so it never came to mind. I started reading more articles that mentioned it and started to panic about tip on top of that lol I'm definitely gonna ask everyone though, good idea
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe I can ask them if they prefer dinner or a cash tip? Or is that too crass? I'm going to ask if they would like dinner to be provided, I don't see the photographers or videographers having much time to eat but I'll see what they say.

Yeah we were thinking of giving them dinner and favours (homemade fudge) and a thank you card, because the dinner is on the more expensive side.

Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm thinking they get dinner, a wedding favour (homemade fudge) and a thank you card. If they're incredible then we'll give them like 50 or so but otherwise it's just a lot of money on top of what we'll already pay for their services. This is the only part of the planning I look forward to having done lol

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our vendors so far don't have anything about meals in their contracts, they are strictly regarding the services they provide and the payment we hand over. So we've been very fortunate there that we get to decide, at least so far!

We don't get to choose the amount of food that they get, that would've been great! The venue actually does all the catering and they have a price for vendors and youth because they get the same meal as the 19+ guests minus alcohol. So I choose whether I give the vendors dinner or not (since they have not specified and it isn't in the contracts) but that's really it. I wish there was an option for less but they don't have one.

Gahh!! So many elements to the vendor side!

Thanks for your thoughts!!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would ask the vendors if they are wanting a meal or not and then if not I would use that for a tip and if they do then thats what they get. I know my DJ said no to dinner and same with bartenders. My photographer said yes and that was it- the rest can't remember all lol but said no

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well that's exactly the thing! We're paying a lot of money for their services and I would usually do a nice tip (as long as they really did a great job) but their meals are 100 each and I dont get to choose which courses they get, only if they get dinner or not. So I guess maybe a smaller tip and let them know dinner will be provided? And if they say they don't need the dinner just give them a nicer tip?
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's what I would've thought, but I'm reading all kinds of articles that are pushing the tips so I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. Thank goodness I have a year to figure it out! Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it doesn't say anywhere in their contract that supper is to be provided - then I would either let them know if they have access to a fridge or microwave OR I would contact the food caterers and see if they have a lower cost meal for the other vendors (this is very common as well).

As for tipping, I would say that if you go with no meal or lower meal then a tip is nice if they have done a good job but per person I would only give roughly $50 each as it adds up fast. If they come back saying that it should have been in the contract or the food caterers say there is no lower costing meals then I would just skip the tip as you are providing really good food and maybe just throw in whatever favours you are giving out already!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When it comes to tips, it is really an "above and beyond" type thing. So if you think they did a great job, then yes I would tip, but I don't think it is mandatory.

If they have dinner as part of their contract, then that should be good enough, and then a thank you card?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Vendors do have in their contracts they do get dinner and tips are optional if you wish to give. They are providing the service and that's good enough. The meal worth is part of what you would pay them too.

For what i can let you know i did for meals wise, the full amount wasn't provided to the vendors, only the main courses as they would not be eating the same of the all courses as the guests. The timing of the meals was in between cocktail hour and the wedding.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Lisa, some of the vendors I pay I pay a lot of money and I pay for a service - If I feel they are doing a great job then I will provide a tip- however, I don't want to tip if it ends up being a poor service- I am also providing dinner as well

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my opinion a tip is discretionary. They are getting paid to do the job you have hired them for, and if you feel they have done an exceptional job, by all means - but I wouldn't say it's mandatory!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics