Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tolu
Frequent user March 2022 Ontario

Vendor Etiquette

Tolu, on March 17, 2020 at 23:38 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 22

Hey everyone!

As I am starting to get quotes for different things, I've noticed that some vendors have no email etiquette. For example, I emailed a vendor about hair and I asked if she had a price list that I could take a look at and that I really liked her work and looking forward to hearing back from her. It took her over 1 week to get back to me and when she finally did, she just attached her pricelist. No introduction, no sorry for the delay...nothing! It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it? Am I being a bridezilla?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thank you Smiley smile

22 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on April 9, 2020 at 15:57
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im the same. all my vendors i booked are very responsive and listen to what i say. i know my wedding day will be smooth with them!

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Nicole,

My thoughts exactly. I've actually completely disregarded a few vendors because of this. I actually let go of a vendor last week, thankfully she gave me back my deposit but I just wasn't feeling good about it. So I'm kind of back to the drawing board, but time is kind of on my side so I have some time to find other vendors that are respectful and appreciate my business.

How's your wedding planning going?

• First
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    First ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This!

No, you are not a bridezilla! I've just been taking this as a sign that I need to look elsewhere for that service. It's so easy to be respectful and kind to someone you're hoping to get business from that anything else is a huge red flag.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Jenny,

Thank you for your feedback. Its honestly ridiculous that some vendors can just be courteous. Even if they are not booking for the time that is requested, they could at least respond with a "hello" but you're right, if they don't have etiquette then just forget about them. I hope your wedding planning is going well aside from that.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought it was just my bad luck or I was being picky. Its really sad that we all are having very similar experiences. Now, I don't even bother to respond, I just put them in the trash and keep it moving. There are plenty of vendors out there.

• Jenny
    Beginner December 2022 British Columbia
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This happens to me all the time. Usually, I simply reject them since they have no basic etiquette to do business, no matter how well the photo presentation posted on the internet.

There are also some overly-enthusiastic venders: they phone you and leave voice messages even though they are already informed of the "no thank you" message.

You are definitely NOT a bridezilla. Etiquette is etiquette; it doesn't matter if it is a wedding business or else. Smiley smile

Cheers,

Jenny

• Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This has been happening to me since I started wedding planning. Literally I had one company email me back in February. And I emailed them in JULY last year! What’s the excuse for that?! I think sometimes they feel a bit more entitled because their line of business, but the least they could do is apologize for the delay.... it’s ridiculous.
  • Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this Ashley. I completely agree. I've decided not to go with a few vendors based on their communication with me. So I'll just keep it moving, there are a lot of good vendors out there.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No your not bridezilla its common sense!! new potential clients should be getting a nice email. i understand everyone is in a panic now with covid-19 but there is no reason not to send a nice email.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kara,

I thought I was the only one going through this and it was getting so frustrating especially because at the end of the day, I'll be spending a significant amount of money. Those things make me feel so uneasy. I just have to be more direct and let them know exactly what I am looking for and keep it moving.

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You’re not bridezilla at all!
    I’ve had nothing but issues since Day 1- thought I was going crazy as I can’t fathom why people have no etiquette or are flat out rude when you’re inquiring about how many thousands of dollars you can give them!
    2 of my vendors only got this way after booking- so that’s still ongoing..:however, I just choose to be direct, stand up for what I want and honestly not care. I don’t need their attitude.
    The rest I just walked away and hired someone who made me feel as if my day was important. If they didn’t- gone. You work hard for your money!!!!
  • Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's actually a good idea. I will start calling. I just always send emails because I want everything to be documented but a follow-up email after the initial phone call will always work. That's a great way to gauge if the person is a good fit. Thank you!

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely understand where you're coming from. Now, I've been extremely specific with my vendors and a bit more assertive and actually giving deadlines as well. While I understand that everyone is very busy and I'm sure there have a ton of emails to respond to, it's important that you are responding in a timely manner and if you can't just simply apologize. For the vendor that you already booked, just stay on top of them otherwise you'll go crazy.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're absolutely right! There have been so many other vendors that have been so kind. I agree that if they can't even say hello, it's probably better to just keep looking.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I definitely agree. I have tried to go on websites and see if they had any packages etc but some don't have much information on them and then ask you to fill out the contact us form. I think I've also been a little too passive with some things so now I'm being very specific with what I want and how I would like to be treated. Thank you for your advice Vinod

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG!!! I would literally freak out. That is insane. I don't understand though, even if your wedding is 2 years from now just communicate effectively so that people will be at ease. It's very annoying. I'm glad you went with someone else.

• Tolu
    Tolu ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you so much, everyone, for your feedback. I'm in the hospitality industry so a lot of things really get to me and I'm a bit picky with certain things but I just felt like a hello would've gone a long way. She also came recommended and I'm sure she's good but I also like to build some kind of rapport with my vendors. I might just go with someone else. It's just super frustrating but I won't let it get to be, I still have a lot of time.

xoxo

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your not being a bridezilla for sure. Some business owners don't have the right attitude or etiquette to reply fast or check their emails often. Its hard enough to leave your information for a quote and wait for their reply back to you. I did find it easier to view websites that had packages available and call personally to talk to the business owner. I personally like to deal with Indians as they have better professionalism if you want to try that direction. I did find Canadians or some others not wanting to budge or deal with you if they feel your business is under standard to them.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I received responses like that, I would just rule them out automatically. I don't care how busy you are, you have to have proper etiquette and manners. Simple as that. So no you are not being a bridezilla, I would not go with those people. There are plenty of vendors out there who want your business and will at least say HI.

• C
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Overall, we've only had one vendor be horrible at communications. (I'm not including DJs, that is the FH one vendor task <insert major facepalm>
    A potential catering service: only a verbal number, no menu to use. We sat down with her in November, I sent a follow up email a week later with questions and a set menu to get priced. After two phone calls to follow up and being told- your date is in October we'll get to you after Christmas- we still haven't heard from them. We've gone with another vendor.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally agree with you, etiquette is paramount. It’s the first impression and honestly, I worry about vendors’ quality of work when their etiquette is bad. I’ve also dealt with some bad etiquette with a vendor I booked so it makes me more nervous than most probably. As a business owner, etiquette is what gets your customers in the door, so no I think your reaction is totally fine.
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bridezilla?! NO!!

Having good communication skills and the courtesy to respond to someone in a timely manner should be expected from someone running a business and just in general. At least that is how I feel! It wouldn’t have taken that much longer to write how she appreciates you looking at her work and with everything going on she may have more than normal volume of emails to go through. I had a few vendors rub me the wrong way via email, either by keeping me waiting for a response or just from the overall tone of the response back. I ended up calling them after the first initial contact via email, if they took as long to get back to me via phone I moved on. If I ended up speaking to them then I could gauge whether or not we were a good fit, more so then over email. If you are really interested in her and you haven’t come across anyone similar or dare I say better, then maybe give her a call and if it still leaves a sour taste then move on....she doesn’t deserve your business!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics