Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Curious August 2021 Ontario

Vendor closes/cancels

Trish, on February 6, 2021 at 16:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
Hi all,
Just venting at this point.
Normally, I would probably just take the L and move on but they had a 50% deposit from us and it’s not a small amount of money...I empathize with these companies struggling through COVID but I’m just so damn frustrated they didn’t even let us know they were closing. So. We are approximately 6 months out and searching again... and out of pocket a hefty amount. PLUS we don’t even know if our August wedding can go as planned because of COVID. I thought I was doing good just going with the punches of everything. Disappointed but chugging along... I know the most important thing at the end of it all is that we’re all healthy and I’m marrying my hubby to be...but my goodness this process sucks.
Has anyone else have any vendors cancel/pull out or close down on them? Did they ever see their money back?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Trish, on April 29, 2021 at 10:45
  • T
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello!
    Wish I had some better news. We haven’t received anything back from Visa - as the caterer filed for insolvency. At the moment, there’s just not much to do except allowing the investigation to continue...I feel like we’ve just lost that money.

Our original venue was amazing and refunded all of our deposits for there. With that $, we downsized from 100 to 25 and Rebooked at a new place that has catering included.
    Hope it works out for you! And I’m so so sorry you have to deal with this as well.
  • Kristen
    Beginner August 2021 New Brunswick
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am super grateful for this thread as I am in the same boat. I tried to contact my caterer to discuss the smaller group we will have due to covid and I was met with crickets. We paid a huge deposit because our original numbers were higher and now I think we are out that $ (paid via e-transfer). I can’t even reach anyone to try and get our deposit back and doesn’t seem like they were going to tell us anyway. Any advice is much appreciated.

I hope you are able to find someone to replace your caterer AND get married when you had planned. Good luck! 💗
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Vendors closing the business or cancelling on you should be refunding your deposit since you didn't make the call and they did. Its wrong to say no to refunds when their contracts states if they can't provide their services, full refund is given back. You should look into this matter and find out what's going on and about your refund from a lawyer you know. The company is taking advantage of you in this matter and not making it right if they ever open up again.

• T
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the advice/feedback everyone!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If Visa isn’t able to refund you, you could talk to a lawyer/bankruptcy trustee to see if you have any options in case they file for bankruptcy. Chances are you’ll be out of luck, but it’s worth a try.
  • L
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That doesn't seam fair. They are closing but keeping your deposit! Ive heard other places closing and giving back the deposits.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awful. I understand that a lot of businesses can't stay afloat during covid but they should have called all of their clients and at the very least let them know.

Hopefully Visa pulls through for you!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How long did you pay the deposit? Anything before 120 days can be recouped via a chargeback.

Do you have a proper invoice with address and everything? While not ideal, physically going to their office to see if anyone is still there could be helpful. At the very least you'll know if they've just upped and left.

Have you tried reaching out in channels beyond email and phone? Social media is a good start if you haven't done so.

• T
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s the other kicker. Our venue told us because another couple had tried to contact the same caterer and couldn’t. I wouldn’t have reached out until spring!

I have tried to reach out with no luck. Called Visa because I put it on my credit card and they couldn’t promise anything. Which I understand.
    I’m sorry you’re venue did that!! At least you were able to recoup the deposits. I’m just more lost now than when we started because of all these restrictions.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry Smiley sad

We had something similar happen to us. We booked our venue in January 2020 for our November 28, 2020 wedding. We reached out to postpone in the summer and were notified that the owner of the building had sold to a developer and they needed to be out before December 1, 2020. I'm not sure when we would have found out if we didn't approach them first.

Our venue said they were going to try to return all deposits but they couldn't guarantee it. We were offered to keep our original date at the same price with a lot of restrictions that wouldn't have been worth it. We were also offered an alternative where the venue could keep our deposit and offer us a 3 hour event before December 1, 2020. We opted to just cancel and request our deposit back. Fortunately they did eventually refund us our deposit but we didn't expect to see that money ever again.

Have you already spoken with the vendor and been told they aren't refunding deposits? If not definitely get in touch with them if you're able to.

If it's a substantial amount of money you might want to speak with a lawyer to determine what your options are. Unfortunately if the company is bankrupt and that's why they're closing you probably won't have any luck getting your money back.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics