Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mélissa
Newbie September 2020 Quebec

Veil yes or no ??

Mélissa, on October 14, 2019 at 19:01 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 33
Hey ladies ! So I’m not 100% sure how I feel about the veil ?? What will you be wearing ?

33 Comments

Latest activity by Kayla, on November 11, 2019 at 12:02
  • K
    Newbie October 2020 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was against wearing a veil but my mom insisted I try one when I picked my dress and I ended up loving it. It just brought every thing together. I went with a simple fingertip length veil that has a bit of beading on the outside edge to match my dress.
  • Judice
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Judice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm wearing one, it's fingertip length because I didn't want to cover the train of my dress. Honestly its all about personality, I've been dreaming of having that moment of the veil being lifted off of my face since I was a kid; so for myself it was no real question.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m skipping it! I didn’t think I wanted one to begin with and when I tried one on with my dress I didn’t like wearing it at all lol. Our wedding is outdoor and only about 90 people so I don’t think it’s necessary. They usually remind me of really big church/banquet hall weddings
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im wearing one but it is finger tip length and matches the lace on my dress. Probably only for the ceremony though.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I won’t be wearing one. Because I’m petite and really young looking, I don’t want to risk looking like a doll or a cake topper xD
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was a hard no until trying one (for mom) at the bridal salon and now Im on the fence.
    I found this listing on Etsy, and they're affordable enough that I wouldn't feel bad if I only wore it for a few photos or the ceremony. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/539243692/best-price-soft-veil-cathedral-elbow
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My sister spent 300$ on hers and never wore it because the wind was pulling it too much. you can easily get away with just a nice hair piece,

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't wear one and there were no regrets.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will definitely be wearing a veil I love the way they look

• Briana
    Curious April 2024 Ontario
    Briana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's definitely dependent on what you want. Don't decide to go with one because you want to go against traditions or because you want to stick with traditions, and also don't base your opinion on the most recent fashion. For example, I've always dreamed of having the moment of my Fiance lifting my veil at the alter and I bought one that can do just that. Then I saw photos of beautiful long cathedral veils that don't have the front and I almost got swayed. I sat myself down and asked what was most important to me, and in the end it was having that vision of my Fiance lifting the veil.

Another option is you could visit a Bridal Salon and try on veils, take photos of yourself in the dress with & without veils to help you decide.

Hope this helps!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im not doing one. some traditions need to be changed loll but its up to you. you dont have to do anything you dont want to do

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Personally I wouldn’t force it, if the veil didn’t look or feel right then I would think of an alternative. A really fancy hair comb or those bridal headbands. I always thought that I would be getting married in a beautiful white wedding gown, but when I went to try them on none of them felt right on me including the veil. I have a short torso so nothing sat right and I couldn’t see any of them as the one I walked down the aisle in. The bridal shop I went had a section of evening gowns and that is where I found my dress, in a champagne colour. I couldn’t be happier with my choice and I can’t wait to wear it, and none of it was my original vision.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore a cathedral length veil - I always pictured myself wearing one so the only thing that would have stood in my way was the dress not going with it (would never wear a cathedral length in a tea length dress for example).

Veil yes or no ?? 1

(excuse the bra and the dress not fitting right - this is the only pic I have of the veil atm and it's from my first appointment when I found the dress)

• Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wasn’t sold on the veil in the beginning either but after finding a veil that perfectly matched my dress I couldn’t resist... I will just be wearing it during the ceremony and for some pictures
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Perfect. You look like a goddess.
  • Mélissa
    Mélissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congrats you look beautiful!
  • Mélissa
    Mélissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s hard to say but I did try on veils when I bought my dress but it didn’t look right I’ve always envisioned wearing one but It didn’t look right
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Without the veil I felt pretty but with the veil I felt like a goddess.
    Veil yes or no ?? 2
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t want one until I found the dress of my dreams and my future sister in law insisted and honestly I’m so happy with the veil.She bought me the veil and the tiara 👸

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing 2 veils: an ombre, cathedral veil and a birdcage veil!

For the ceremony and 1/2 of photos, I'll have the cathedral and for the 2nd half of photos and reception, I'll switch to the birdcage.

The ombre veil:

Veil yes or no ?? 3

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't want a veil at all, I felt like it was a bit too much for me.

I found a hair piece that was sparkly that went in my hair. This way it stayed in all night, and I didn't have to worry about switching my hair after the ceremony!

I think it also depends on your dress. Mine had a ton of back detail, and a veil would hide it.

• Megan
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Veil yes or no ?? 4 I just got married on Sept 21st and I decided to wear a veil. After trying them on at the bridal salon I didn’t like the selection I was seeing. Mostly I didn’t like edge detailing going all the way along the veil around my face and hair. I felt the detailing took away from my face and looked a little busy (for my taste). I saw this Davie and Chiyo veil online through Etsy and decided it was a good match for my dress. I also liked their prices, I had a coupon, and liked they were made in Canada. I went with a length that went to my mid calf because I didn’t want it dragging on the floor (you get to decide your length). I liked the leaf edging on the veil because the lace was similar to the one used in my dress. I’d say decide if the veil suits your look then go for it, it’s the only day you get to wear one. Plus you don’t have to wear it for the whole time anyways but again, it’s your day so you decide if a veil suits your look and no one else’s Smiley smile Sorry I don’t have a better picture, I’m still waiting on my professional ones haha.
  • M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was never planning on wearing a veil. And now with my dress, its super detailed and I want at least some of the pictures to show all the details but because I am getting married in January a bunch of the photos will be outside in the snow with a wrap on - so no veil so the inside pictures show off the dress Smiley smile Plus I'm really opposed to the traditional reason behind a veil ...

• Michaela
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Michaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be wearing a veil! Totally goes with my dress and it’s exactly what I imagined. However I know many brides who did not have a veil and there bridal look was stunning none the less!
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to do a veil when I first went dress shopping I was looking forward to having the full bridal look once I found my dress. However, when trying them on and I tried several, it didn’t look right. Not because it didn’t work with the dress but because it didn’t look right on me. It just all depends on you and your dress and that feeling you get in that moment if the dress and veil or no veil is what you see when you picture walking down the aisle.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't want a veil. It isn't something you have to do. It is up to you what you prefer. There are so many different lengths that you can choose too. If the long veil is too much for you you could go with a shorter one.
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to wear a crazy long veil almost 8 feet long

• Jael
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Jael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think sometimes wearing a hairpiece makes your entire look more like formal wear. A veil really completes the bridal look! I’m wearing a veil, but I always envisioned a hairpiece until I tried on my dress at the salon with a veil!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't wear a veil for two reasons:

1. I felt like my dress had enough embellishments (lace/beaded bodice + illusion back)

2. My hair was a game time decision (I have very fine hair and depending on the humidity, I was either going to do a half updo or a full updo)

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely want to wear a veil! it’ll be my only chance to wear one, and they’re so gorgeous!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Melissa! Congrats on your engagement and welcome to WeddingWire!

I agree with Jurrene! It depends on your wedding dress!
    With my dress, I am wearing a veil.
  • July
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    July ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Melissa. Honestly I feel like it depends on the wedding dress. I went for a laced Cape instead of a veil.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics