Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julie
Featured May 2023 Ontario

Unplugged Ceremony- yay or nay?

Julie, on October 9, 2022 at 13:46 Posted in Wedding ceremony 2 24
What's the etiquette on photos during ceremony? Are you/did you ask your guests for an unplugged ceremony? Or do/did you prefer the guests take pictures?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on January 5, 2023 at 05:14
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Stephanie. I bought a template in Etdy but debating on printing yet. Will see when I figure full timeline.
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unplugged Ceremony- yay or nay? 1
    We had this sign near the entrance of the ceremony area. Not everyone listened and still had their phones out but most respected the request. Try Facebook marketplace or DIY your sign. Some other places can get quite expensive.
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had an unplugged ceremony as we did not want guests, however unwittingly, getting in the way of the photographers' camera angles. However we did allow phones/cameras for the reception.
  • Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As someone who has done photography, as long as people know to look at the photographer for portraits, and don't get in the way, it's okay if others take pictures. The main challenges as a photographer, is when you're getting group pics and some of the group looks at someone else with a phone instead of the big camera, or if someone reaches so far out of the way that I just see a hand in the picture. As long as people are respectful, take a few pics and then put it away, I don't mind either way.

I'm not sure what I'll do for my own wedding, as I don't have strong feelings either way. Like if someone wants to take a few pics or short video and send it to a family member that isn't able to be there, I'm okay with that on their phone, as long it's not like someone being on their phone the whole time and not being respectful of the situation.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't worry much about having a plugged wedding since our ceremony was on the lower base of where the guests were sitting, and the photographer and videographer had their spaces to get their shots. Family and friends still got some shots as we walked down the aisle.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed! I don't think guests will read it. They want to get in, get a good seat and be ready to begin. I will also be asking the Officiant to announce it before we start.

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be having an unplugged ceremony but we won't have a sign as people won't read it. We will have the officiant announce it just before everyone walks down the aisle.

• S
    Newbie December 2022 Nova Scotia
    Smith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for contacting us,
    yes you can take pictures during your event, our terms and conditions are cool.
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had an unplugged ceremony - largely for the sake of our photographers to allow them the best shots and camera angles. We did allow cameras/phones for the reception though.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like that wording as well "take your photos now, then put your phones away". Perfect!
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely want an unplugged ceremony. My ceremony will take place in the outdoors in Banff, Alberta and last thing I want to see is a bunch of phones out. I am not going to get a sign considering no much will even read it. So I am asking my officiant to say in the beginning like get your photos now and then please put away your phones for the rest of the ceremony for the photographer.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I see this on tik tok, a good reason to have an unplugged wedding, you spend a lot of money on the photographer and all you see in the photo is people taking photos with their phones.

Just for that reason I am asking for an unplugged ceremony, but then after that people are more than welcome to take photos.

• Amanda
    Curious November 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yay!! I said from the get go that I wanted an unplugged ceremony. I didnt spend the time researching photographers & or paying what I am to see cellphones in all our ceremony photos. We noted that we are "kindly asking guests to respect a cell phone free ceremony" on our wedding website, will have a sign at the church and are asking our officiant to make an announcement as well. We did note on our wedding website that we encourage our friends to take as many photos before and after the ceremony as they would like, just not in the church. My fiance couldnt really care less but understands how important the photos are too me so is going along with it

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    NO ONE READS SIGNS!!!! Sorry I need to make that clear. Everyone's always surprised when they have a sign but someone still takes their phone out (and yes shots are always ruined unless you have two photographers). Before the ceremony, our officiant asked people to keep their phones away but also told them when we were at the top of the aisle/under the chuppah she'd give everyone an opportunity to take a photo. This also gave us a chance to take in the moment and look put at everyone there with us. It was perfect. We had guests take some shots AND perfect photos from our photographers. No regrets.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im figuring thats whats going to happen so im going to opt out of a sign. I think im gonna go with Katrina's comment asking the Officiant to make a small announcement to be mindful of the photographer and not stand during ceremony.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had an unplugged ceremony but our guests still took some photos even though we had a sign at the entrance of our ceremony walkway

• R
    Curious July 2023 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We want an unplugged ceremony. We are thinking of getting signs and placing them outside of our synagogue to let our guests know that we are having an unplugged ceremony.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend asked for an unplugged ceremony because the photographer did not want photos of peoples phone in the pictures. Honestly I was happy to have my phone away because I got to really watch every second so I didn't mind : )
  • Elizabeth12
    Curious February 2023 Ontario
    Elizabeth12 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am allowing photos unless my photographer requests my guest not.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooooooh that's a great idea! I will do that 😊
  • Katrina
    Curious October 2023 Ontario
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I'd like to have the guests take photos but I may have my officiant add in her announcements just to ask that everyone remain in their seats to allow unobstructed photos from the professionals. Still kind of on the fence though.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I thought about getting a sign but really, I could careless if guests take photos during ceremony. I prefer they do cause they will have different angles. Just hope photographer doesnt have an issue.
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    And honestly now I’m kinda happy that my guests did take photos because I’m waiting for our photos to come back from the photographer! It’s nice to see some photos from guests and relive the moment!
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had an unplugged ceremony sign but people still took photos lol
    I didn’t notice as I was walking up or down the aisle but I see my family sharing photos from our ceremony lol
    I personally did it just so the photographer wouldn’t compete with guests trying to get his shot but I think it was fine! He didn’t mention anything about it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics