Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natasha
Devoted June 2019 Ontario

Unplugged Ceremony?

Natasha, on February 28, 2019 at 21:08 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 25
To unplug or plug that is the question? What are your thoughts on the unplugged ceremony? Will you be doing one? If so, what’s your reasoning? I’m on the fence between I hate how everyone phones out in pictures and in the way of photographer BUT I like the idea of getting different angles from other in case photographer missed something. THOUGHTS??

i will definitely be having a PLUGGED Reception though!

25 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on March 16, 2019 at 23:21
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a wonderful compromise thanks for sharing 👍 I don’t mind photos being taken at the reception but the ceremony is special.
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not going to worry about my ceremony being unplugged because in this day and age half the guests wouldn’t listen anyways.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing an unplugged ceremony because we don’t want people getting in the way of our photographer/videographers. We have two of each so one photographer and one videographer will be focused on me and the other ones on the groom. We also don’t want photos of our ceremony being posted online before we get our previews because we feel the ceremony is much more intimate (hello first look photo). We also had the misfortune of being to a wedding last year where the ceremony was a “plugged in” one and we had to watch most of it through the screens of the people in front of us. As guests who genuinely wanted to see the ceremony we didn’t get to and that really stuck with us.
    If you feel worried about your photographer missing things make sure yok discuss with them what moments you want captured and ask for different angles as well.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had somewhat an unplugged ceremony which wasn't as bad. The photographer had his space on the main lower level with us to get his shots and angles. The guests were told by the officiant to turn the cell phones and cameras off and enjoy the ceremony.

The distance between the altar and seating of the guests can be a good thing for the photographer to have his space as mentioned. The distance closer, a sign can be put up for guests to understand and respect your request. The sign should say: We kindly ask all cell phones and cameras be turned during the ceremony.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing an unplugged ceremony. We have two photographers so we will have multiple angles. I have taken pictures at a couple weddings and there was always someone who would stand in front of me so they can get a good picture but I was getting paid to get those pictures. So as a photographer that can be pretty frustrating.
    But we will have a plugged reception.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a regular ceremony. No one got in the way of the photographers, any pictures with guests, no one had a phone in front of their face. I had given my phone to a friend, and I liked that we were able to look at pictures on our honeymoon.
    The pictures from our photographers are way better than phone pictures and guests didn’t capture anything that the photogs didn’t so, if you’re concerned about people popping up in pictures, go for unplugged.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unplugged. We're paying way too much for our TWO photographers to have anyone messing up the photographs with their cell phones lol.

• Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone I’m going unplugged officially I even put it on my wedding invitation details card 👌🏽👌🏽👌🏽
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I couldn't agree more! I find it so disrespectful. Why go to someone's ceremony if you'll be on your phone daydreaming about what else you could be doing?

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I find people don't live in the moment anymore, which sucks! Put your phone down for 15 minutes, watch us say our meaningful vows, there will be plenty of times to snap photos at the reception!

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% agree with the last sentence!

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I are having an unplugged ceremony. I know our guests and I know they suck at photography (lol) so realistically that just means pictures I'll dislike of myself floating on social media networks without my permission (or something of the sort).

I think your photographer will appreciate an unplugged ceremony as they won't have to push anyone out of the way or compete with anyone to get pictures. (Additionally seeing guests on their phones in professional pictures looks tacky for an event as such).

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours will be unplugged! Our officiant only performs unplugged ceremonies so her rules! She'll make an announcement before the processional starts, as well as us having a sign up front where guests will enter, and it'll be somewhere on the invitations.

If it didn't matter to her, we'd probably still do unplugged since I want guests paying attention, we're paying a lot of money for our photographer/second shooter, so I don't want shots ruined by everyone's cell phone. I find it rude when people are capturing their own version of a major event and aren't totally focused on the ceremony since they are staring at their phones.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unplugged for us! Mainly because we are getting married in a catholic church and cellphones are not allowed during mass!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be having an un-plugged ceremony!! I went to my FH's wedding last summer, and all of her photo's have people on their phones - it's just not what I want in my pics.

Totally a personal choice, but my main concern is having somebody's phone go off in the middle of our vows. It could happen, and I know this because a phone went off not once, not twice, but three times at my own Gido's funeral.... very rude, very inappropriate of them.

I won't be having people really enforce it but I will most likely put it on the invite as well as a sign at the venue.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ll be having an unplugged ceremony. Like others have said, I don’t want to risk having guest’s phones and cameras in our photographer’s professional shots. I want people paying attention and in the moment and I want to look out and see faces, not phones.

Also, I feel like the bride and groom should be first to post any wedding pictures of the “big moments” on social media. Out of respect for those who cannot make the wedding I want their first look at our ceremony and first dance to be from what we’ve shared, not what someone else has. One way to help make sure that we are the first to share the ceremony pictures on social media is to ask that no one take any pictures that they could post.
  • Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We hired a photographer to capture the important moments. Our ceremony will be unplugged but we will allow people to take their phones out at the very end for pictures. With 115 guests i dont want 115 phones in my pictures.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having about 50 guests, and are choosing not to have an unplugged ceremony.

The only person NOT allowed to have their phone for both the ceremony and reception is me...bc I’m notoriously always on my phone😜.
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've invited our small number of guests to be present with us as we take our vows and make a covenant. We'd like them to be present physically, emotionally and spiritually as we do. That's why we're going unplugged for our ceremony.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm also not worried about the photographer missing anything as we have two.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, yes and YES!!!! No phones, no cameras, nothing! We want our guests fully focused on the ceremony. We understand people want to take photos for the ceremony but that's what the photographers are there for, we paid a lot for them and they are incredible. Our guests can wait for them to post or send us the pictures, just like we have to wait. I personally think it's rude and disrespectful to have phones and cameras out. When I look out at my guests I don't want to see their phones, I want to see their faces! I want them to enjoy every moment of the ceremony. The guest have already been informed of the unplugged ceremony with their invitations and we will have a sign reminding them at the ceremony as well as an announcement from either the DJ or our Officiant before it starts.
    As soon as the ceremony is over everyone is welcome to take their phones out and snap away!!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing an unplugged ceremony, only because I was just at a baptism where people actually got out of their seats in the church and gathered around the altar with their flip-phones out trying to get a picture. The professional photographer couldn't get through. So yeah, definitely an unplugged ceremony, we'll have 2 photographers to get multiple angles. We're putting up a sign and asking the priest to mention it at the beginning of the ceremony.

• Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I agree we are paying a lot of money for a photographer and videographer crew so I think I will stick to unplugged ceremony.
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am also super on the fence. We are not having a videographer, so I wanted to ask someone to video our vows and at least the ending of our ceremony with the first kiss etc. I just don’t know how to word that to everyone else that only one person will be allowed their phone
    But at the same time I want everyone to pay attention to the ceremony and not have all these cell phones in the pictures the photographer takes
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing an unplug ceremony and the main reason you listed. I mean, the results from this google search just makes me cringe : Phones Blocking Wedding

We're paying (lots of money) to have a photographer, and her 2nd shooter, capture our day. I want to look back at my wedding pictures and see our guests' faces and reactions, not their phones or worse...their iPads!

I also find it rude for guests to be more concerned about taking pictures or stories than just being in the moment. They'll have plenty of time during cocktail hour and the reception to take pictures.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics