Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amber
Curious June 2019 Ontario

Unplugged ceremony?

Amber, on May 27, 2018 at 10:43 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 20
Anyone doing an unplugged ceremony? My FH and I hav been going back and forth about it so I’m looking to hear from people And why they chose unplugged or why they didn’t! Any insight is very much appreciated

20 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on June 4, 2018 at 07:33
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours will be unplugged. We hired a photographer for a reason, and we don't want people being distracting with their phones just for a good intsagram post (which, if we're being honest, won't be that good).

Religiously as well,we want our guests to be participants of our ceremony,not just observers Smiley smile
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s a great Idea!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unplugged as we will be in a church with a full mass!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would like to have an unplugged ceremony; however, I haven't brought it up with my fiancé yet, even though I'm sure he will agree.

While I'd like to give our guests the benefit of the doubt, I know a few of my friends who aren't capable of staying off social media, and some relatives who are too photo-happy. I'd rather our guests be in the moment with us, and to avoid awkward/poor quality ceremony pictures.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did have an unplugged wedding given that the ceremony was on a lower level with the wedding party seperate from family and friends. The only people allowed were the photographer and videographer.

The officiant made an announcement to turn the volume off and thier cameras on. This was from a distance they could record.
  • Amber
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow I didn’t even think of the whole posting on social media thing! Thanks for pointing that out!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are most definitely doing an unplugged ceremony. I think it will get distracting with everyone trying to take photos (besides the photographer).

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow, I had never considered doing an unplugged wedding until I saw this! Some aren’t really that bad and could’ve been avoided, but the ones with the people in the aisle drive me crazy!!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing and unplugged wedding too.

The way k see it, I'm paying thousands of dollars to have someone take pictures for me, and I want to make it as easy as I can for her to do so! I also dont feel like it's fair for someone to take pictures of me at my ceremony and post them to social media before I'm ready or without my permission.

If they dont Intend on posting them first, then they really have no need for them anyway Smiley smile
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing an unplugged ceremony for sure. We have so many people that would try to get pictures and may get in the way of the photographer. We also don't want to risk someone's phone going off which we figured is more likely if they aren't taking photos.
  • Rhea
    Curious February 2019 British Columbia
    Rhea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing unplugged as well and I totally think it’s the way to go. Wedding photographers are hired for a reason and people go so crazy these days that literally every photo could be ruined by a cellphone or iPad in the shot. My wedding photographer posted this on her Facebook and it was enough to convince me! https://www.yourperfectweddingphotographer.co.uk/article/23-photos-runied-unplugged-wedding/
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing an unplugged ceremony and I could not be happier. I only hope that everyone will respect it (a few family members already think they can choice which of our wishes they do not have to follow)
    1. I want everyone to be fully present in the moment and not fussing over their phones ensuring they have the perfect shot. It's just for ceremony so it's 30-40 min tops.
    2. It's the churches policy.
    3. We have a very expensive and very talented professional that we hired to take the photos and I will gladly share them with all our guests after if they are that worried about needed a photo to prove they were there.
    4. I am a big believer in "unplugged time".
    5. I am hoping to have very soft lightning for the ceremony and do not want to be blinded by camera flashes
  • T
    Georgia
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love planning weddings and this is a way to have the best of both worlds. My advice, have an cute personality based area set up at the entrance for guest to take pictures before entering. Have no phones during the ceremony as you want your hired photographers to capture those moments with no interruptions. You can have guests go back to phones during cocktail hour as guests are mingling. Let everyone know you will provide one digital photo to them as a thank you so they will have a keepsake they can print on their own and frame. Ask your photographer if they can provide you with a digital photo for guest attendance Thank You's!!

• Genis
    Frequent user January 2019 Alberta
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think we are going to be having an unplugged ceremony, My Grandma & Dad will hate this (and I'm sure my dad will take photos anyways) however with as many guests as we have we would like our photographer to be able to capture moments at the ceremony rather than phone & ipad screens.

When you pay as much as you do for a photographer & videographer it would be nice to have uninterrupted photos. Plus there will be plenty of time at the Cocktail hour & Reception for phones & as many photos as you would like! (for our wedding anyways)

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a small wedding party and most of the guests I invited I know will be respectful. Ie. No phones or limited photos during the ceremony. Maybe before and after pics but that's it.

Now that you mentioned it here I will have specific ushers telling guests to politely put phones away if it's disruptive. Also can't have guests blocking the photographer
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I remember the first wedding I had ever gone to and a couple of people were taking pictures with their iPads and blocking the photographer's way and some of the guests' view. The bride and groom were PISSED.

That being said, the last couple of weddings I've been to, their ceremonies have been unplugged. For each, the officiant had a lovely intro speech, before the processional began. They welcomed us and asked that we put away are electronic devices for the duration of the ceremony. This was also communicated to us on the invitation and I don't think I've ever heard of people complaining about it.

I think they are becoming the norm, which I believe it nice. People can put away their electronic devices for 20 minutes and be present for the couple getting married.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having an unplugged ceremony. Our officiant will be announcing to the crowd to please turn off all phones and put away all cameras so everyone can fully be a part of celebrating with us on our special day. We are having 2 photographers so all of the shots should be covered and we don’t want people running around all ceremony. At my FSIL’s wedding, their aunt was running around taking her own pictures and she was in over 1/3 of the professional photos. And not in her seat, but standing on the side, or crouched in the aisle. I really didn’t want there to be a chance of this happening for our wedding, so an unplugged ceremony was a no-brainer for us.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say do it! I'm doing one and the only person literally whining is my mom- especially as no one in my family has ever don such a thing.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing unplugged, for the reason we have 2 photographers and I personally don't want to see any cell phones in my ceremony pictures. I want my guests to enjoy themselves and live in the moment. Not fiddle around with their cellphones & cameras. My MCs or officiant will announce that at the beginning of the ceremony, just unsure who will say it.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve been going back and forth about it too.
    I am a “plugged in” person and I make no qualms about it. We’re aiming to have an intimate ceremony and I don’t want to tell grown ups to put away their phones. We’re having a photographer but I look forward to seeing the candida and vantage points from our guestsz

The hardest part for me though will be not having my phone leading up to and including the ceremony (and maybe reception too)...but I’m committed to just being in the moment and focusing on celebrating with my FH and friends and family.

Whatever you decide will be alright bc it’s what you want to do. Good luck with the decision making!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics