Skip to main content
Rebecca
Devoted October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador

Tuxedos

Rebecca, on February 22, 2022 at 13:28 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 21
Saved

Our grooms men are scattered alll across Canada and I have no idea what to do for tuxedos, our wedding is in newfoundland on the opposite side of the island meaning very little to choose form.

what online retailers do you recommend when it comes to men's wear, were hoping for the most cost effective and reliable.

21 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on February 27, 2022 at 23:59
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Move along hank move along
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

The Moores suit I linked to is Pronto Uomo. It is a sale item, not rental. I never suggested you buy a Vera Wang tuxedo. Please re-read what I wrote again instead of constantly misinterpreting my comments.

No one is gatekeeping wedding planning except you at this point. Many featured users on weddingwire are married and like them, I enjoy sharing ideas with the community. To suggest we have no place here just because we're no longer planning towards our day is rude. And I take offense to your mansplaining retort when you're the one who literally stated you didn't have knowledge of menswear retail or understand the differences between the clothes.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️☝️☝️☝️real talk!!!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Those suits your referring to are only available when renting not purchasing and since moores is so far away that is not an option. They would have to purchase each piece individually, which I have done and it’s easier to go somewhere closer to us you have got to be crazy is you think your getting a Vera wang suit for 259 😂

I chose what works best for us. Not you. What are you still doing on this app anyhow? You got married in 2021 shouldn’t you be enjoying being married and not being the first commenter on almost every post on this website?
    Quit gate keeping wedding planning and condemning people for making their choice. Unless of course you want to pay for it then I’ll gladly take your forced opinions.
    Stay off my posts hank your not welcome here.Also quit mansplaining everything it’s not flattering…
  • Alyx
    Featured September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

I think maybe your trying to help Rebecca with your suggestions. But she has stated that she found something that works for her! Your comments can come off a little strong and overbearing and that may be stressful to a bride who’s trying to plan her wedding!

Again I think you may trying to help but sometimes it’s best to help where it’s needed and know when the help is not needed anymore ☺️

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

My comparison to H&M is not me actually recommending they go to H&M. H&M or any other store being 9 hours away from you is moot since all online retailers will ship to your home or work address.

Since you mention the low cost of Tip Top, I can only imagine you're looking at the G Grafton's for $150 and it doesn't come with a vest. A black suit comparable in quality at H&M costs the same and comes with the suit jacket, pants, and vest.

If you want a vest at Tip Top, the lowest cost for a 3 piece black suit made of 70% polyester is $370+tax. This is the same cost for a 3-piece suit that's 100% wool at Moores. So not only is your observation on pricing wrong, but the quality at Moores is better than Tip Top for the same price.

I don't see how I'm caught up on tuxedos vs suits. I only recommended a tuxedo rental because you literally for recommendations on how your gents can look like James Bond.

As one of the few men active on this forum, I'm just trying to help you since you mentioned from the start that you know nothing about menswear. Ignore my advice if you want, it's your prerogative.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Have you ever been to Newfoundland? Stores like H&M only exist in the capital city 9 hours away from my venue and location to put it into perspective, it’s terribly isolated so due to the fact of that alone my hands are tied and options are extremely limited.
    I could ask them all to travel to the capital city almost 900km, gas at almost $2/L, plus meals and a hotel room for 2 nights 1 if they are brave and want to leave to make the trip across the island the same day,
    The grooms men are responsible for making sure their “outfits” fit well before the wedding not me. I do know tip top does store garments until day of so if that’s required I can pick up for them. So back on topic to buy an expensive “outfit” (because let’s be real here your too caught up on the wording “tux”and “suit” rather than the intent of the post which was to offer options of retailers for mens wear that are online ) from moores plus the cost of alterations it’s almost 800 because let’s not forget Newfoundlands 15% tax…there’s no shoes or anything else… Literally shirt, vest, jacket, and pants. No tie or bow tie or pocket squares yet…
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

the price is way better than moores

That's because the lower priced suits are terribly constructed and made mostly of polyester. They don't breathe well so it traps sweat and it doesn't help keep you warm if it's cold. To be honest, for those prices and quality, they might as well pick up a suit from H&M. The only wool suit at Tip Top is from DKNY and they sell them for over $400, which is on par with Moores (and I would argue the Moores suits are better).

That being said, if the cheap Tip Top suits are what you really want and the guys are okay with it, by all means. But I recommend them picking up the suit at their own respective location instead of ordering it for pickup near your wedding. That way, they can get it altered well before the wedding (something they will likely have to do - sleeves and pants shortened to proper length, tapering if needed).

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    That’s fine, the price is way better than moores even if they rented and closer by 8 hours.

The difference between a tux and a suit are very minor so I’m not too hung up on that because they are essentially the same minus a few small details
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Tip Top only sells suits, not tuxedos. And they don't do rentals.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I found one!! Tiptop !! They are a hour away from where im having my wedding and where my florist will be as well so they can be picked up tne same time as the flowers!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

If you want the Bond look, then rent a black tuxedo at Moores. It's the only national chain in Canada so regardless of where they are in Canada, they should be able to get to one fairly easily (unless they live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, then they would have to trek into a major area). Before they leave Newfoundland, they can drop it off at the St John NFLD location (even though your venue is remote, I assume they have to go there for the airport anyway).

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Generation Tux is an online tux rental with no presence in Canada. Indochino is an online made to measure suit retailer available to Canadian shoppers. In one, you have to return the garment while the other, you keep it. So they're actually different business models with very different pricing.

• Alyx
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    Indochino is another one like generation tux
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

That's a US rental company and won't ship to Canada.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Thanks! I appreciate it !!
  • Alyx
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    Look up generation tux! I haven’t used it but I here it’s really good and easy for men to use!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I want them to be all the same. Or similar I’m asking for them to pay for suits.
    Black pants and jacket white shirt with black buttons and black vest and wedding coloured ties that I will provide and nice looking dress shoes none of that dr schoals looking shoes think pierce Bronson James Bond
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Since you have no rental options near you, I would go for suit over a tuxedo if the guys have no use in wearing a tuxedo in another occasion. Whereas a suit will always come in handy (other weddings, funerals, date night, work/job interview, etc).

Are you paying for the suits or will they be paying themselves? Are you open to mismatched suits (ie different suits of the same colour) or do you want all the same?

• Rebecca
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Unfortunately we do not in either place both where i currently reside & have my wedding planned have no large chains this is why i was thinking it would make sense to have them get their measurements done and order online but i have no idea what places even sell men's wear haha, i didn't even know there was a difference between a tux and a suit i thought it was the same thing

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute

Are you set on a traditional tuxedo for everyone or can they go the suit route? Suits will be more affordable than a tuxedo (unless you get a really bad looking poorly constructed tux).

How many days are the groomsmen arriving ahead of time prior to the wedding? Do you have a national chain like Moores around where you are?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics