Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious November 2024 Ontario

Tuesday Fall Wedding

Misty, on January 27, 2023 at 09:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 7
Hello,
I am getting married Tuesday November 5th 2024. We're having a renaissance fair inspired wedding, with the bridal party dressed up in medieval attire.

My fiancée and I settled on November 5th, and we are thinking on having it run from 5pm-11pm. We figure to give 1/2 hour for guests to arrive and be seated. 1 1/2 hours for everyone to go through the Soup, Salad and Sandwich buffet (where everyone can customize/build their own sandwiches), then the ceremony at 7pm, followed by our 1st dance at 7:45, immediately followed by karaoke/DJ.
Just to clarify, yes we are planning on eating dinner with our guests. We are planning on having large robes on (over our wedding outfits) to both protect them, as well as having our "looks" revealed at the ceremony.
I was originally planning on a hour for dinner, but with a slow moving line while people build their sandwiches, I'm thinking now maybe 1 1/2 hours...we are well aware they're won't be much drinking going on and that some people will show up late or leave early, but my cousin has a full 12 hour day wedding event on a Wednesday a few years ago and our family all booked off/ accommodated for this and she has a great turn out, with most people staying for the entire event.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on January 31, 2023 at 12:29
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh, then that works.

But yeah, personally I would either change the timing around a bit if you can so that people don't have to choose between taking time off work vs arriving late due to rush hour traffic. And just think of some kind of food situation for the DJ/karaoke portion of the evening.

• M
    Misty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, they meant that we could bring in our own food that we prepare. It's a clubhouse, so they're a little more relaxed about somethings, as well as both my fiancée and I have our food handlers (which they said they will need photocopies off a week before the event. They offer use of their kitchen for $150 a day, which is how we would refrigerate/heat stuff the morning of, as long with us renting soup urns.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

11pm is not too late for adults unless they're seniors or they have kids. Seniors and those with children will likely end up leaving much earlier.

Where in Ontario are you having your wedding? Because if it's anywhere in the GTHA, if they're not there by 5:30pm, chances are they won't arrive til closer to 6:30pm due to rush hour traffic. And a lot of people may end up pushing it if you tell them arriving late is fine. And though they're close friends and family, you can't expect people to take off work for a local wedding especially if your expectations are that it's okay to arrive late. Some may do it but you can't expect it. In this economy with high costs and expensive rent/mortgages, every dollar earned helps.

Does your venue allow you to self cater? A lot of venues only allow licensed food handlers for legal and insurance purposes. Is their premise set up to handle food service? No matter what time you serve food, you'll need proper refrigeration for salads, condiments and sandwich toppings. You'll also need properly heated serving pot for soup. It can't sit out in room temperature for an hour and a half during dinner service plus however much time it's there while you get ready.

What's happening during karaoke hour? Is any food being served? If you're hoping to end at 11pm, that's a long time of not having any food and people may end up leaving early. Any reason you can't have the sandwich/soup/salad buffet out while karaoke is taking place? This vibe would feel like the typical pub karaoke where people eat and drink in-between taking turns singing.

• M
    Misty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking since almost everyone will have to take the day off to just start at 4 & end at 10 so that people aren't getting home too late for work the next day, this way they're only taking 1 day off. If some people can't come until later that's ok too.

I was originally thinking to have the dinner before the ceremony just so that the food wasn't sitting out very long beforehand, but pretty much everything we're having should be fine as long as we have it covered and just have someone uncover them as I change my dress.
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For a small wedding like that (I am also having a 40 person wedding on a week day) and since they are your close friends and family (I am assuming because mine is like this) would they not take a day or 2 off?

So it does not really matter what time it starts or when it ends!

Even though mine is on a Friday, it is in Banff so people would have to take all of Friday off to either drive up the same day or go the night before. The entirety of the guest list have to take off work to travel to our wedding.

If I was your guest, I would be taking off the Tuesday the wedding happens so I can sleep in, relax and spend the afternoon getting ready and I would minimum take off the first half of the next day.

• M
    Misty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm also concerned about starting to early and/or ending too late and then 1/2 my guests not showing up or only staying a short time because it's a Tuesday (which will be a big deal because we only have a 40 person guest list). How early is to early to start? Is 11pm to late?

We were hoping to have dinner 1st just because we are catering the event ourselves (with help from my 4 teenaged children & my 2 cousins) and we didn't want everything sitting out too long or having a weird pause while we ran everything out in our wedding attire.

We're getting our wedding party photos the day before in the afternoon at a different location, and getting our family photos (parents, siblings & grandparents) done during the reception in our photobooth.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi!

I think if you want to have a certain time for the ceremony - which starts after dinner - maybe have a bit of a buffer just in case.

Although we all have timelines - sometimes they do not go according to plan.

I went to a wedding this summer where the ceremony was supposed to start at 2:30pm and we got there at 2:10 pm and the ceremony did not start till 4:00 pm due to some problems - a big one was people who were late. Which was the majority of the guests.

Not saying this could happen to you, but there can be some delays that you would not even imagine happening.

Maybe have it so people can start coming around 4:30pm everyone is there and get dinner going around 5:15 pm - 5:30 pm.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics