Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katrina
Beginner September 2020 Ontario

Trouble Choosing a Wedding Day....

Katrina, on September 13, 2019 at 11:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 20

Originally, I had June 20th of 2020 selected as our wedding day as it will be approximately one year from our engagement.

However, our venue located in Barrie (has a mostly indoor space but a spacious patio) only had availability on June 13th. Living in southern Ontario, June 13th can be a bit dicey if you want hot weather but we have still have a safe indoor space.

A few days later, the venue called and July 4th has opened up. Canada Day falls on a Wednesday this year and many people might use this time as a long weekend (taking the following Thursday and Friday off) and Barrie is on the way for many cottagers heading north so this means traffic but safe weather.

Can anyone weigh in on this and help me make up my mind before I possibly lose the optional date of July 4th?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Alana, on September 17, 2019 at 19:08
  • Alana
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go with June! You may be pleasantly surprised. My cousin got married on June 3rd and it was incredibly warm during the ceremony and comfortable in a tent all night!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your happy with your date of June 13th, stick with it. You feel you want a month later giving some time more, July 4 is good as long as you know that your guests will leave early or take the back roads possible.

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No, not at all! I needed to hear real opinions about the dates. Thank you again! Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope I didn't come across super rude or anything... I just re-read my response and realized I probably could have phrased it a little better! Glad you came to a decision, though!

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Erin! It turns out that most people would use June 29th and 30th to make it a long weekend extending to Wednesday July 1st; however, it’s still the best part of the summer that even I want to enjoy. As much as I am looking forward to my wedding, I want to get it over with and enjoy married life. So I am sticking with June 13th!
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this Tori! I really appreciate it!
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it Kelsie. I am going to stick with June 13th.
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts Alix! I really appreciate it!
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for weighing in Rayanne! As much as I’m looking to my wedding, I am looking forward to getting it over with so that I can enjoy summer too! I’m sticking with June 13th.
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts Allison! I really needed to hear some opinions to help make up my mind. I have decided to stick with June 13th!
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts Casey! I think I will stick with the June 13th date!
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts Amelia! I really appreciate it!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't object to a long weekend wedding, but I know others have strong feelings about it so I'd avoid it. And like others have said, the weather can be dicey any time of year and there likely wouldn't be too much difference from June 13th to the 20th.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

June can be dicey, but so can early July. You are only a couple weeks between both the dates.

I think you would be safer to do it in June away from the "long weekend" people may take. This way more people will attend the wedding and you won't run into people declining because they are going away for Canada Day.

Personally, I would pick the June date. If it is a little chillier, it is better for the guys in suits, and your hair and makeup will stay better!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would stick with June 13 IMO. If people take Wednesday through Sunday as a long weekend, they might not want to take the time to attend a wedding in between there.

June 13 would have more or less the same weather as your original day, June 20, being only a week apart.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I'd personally go with the June date but most of my guest list aren't the mon-fri crowd so for a lot of us to get a long weekend off is impossible. While I love weddings if I did somehow get the weekend off and could take kids to the cottage or go to a wedding that would be a hard choice for me.
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Tori. I think that long weekends would be better for out of town guests as well.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FSIL had her wedding on the Labour Day Long Weekend and a lot of guests declined because it was a long weekend.

For lots of cottage goers, people going away etc. it breaks up their weekend and then they only get one full day at the cottage, versus two. So a lot of people didn’t go to her wedding that might’ve had it been another weekend.

For me personally, our family goes to our cottage on the long weekend, so unless it was someone super, super close, I probably would decline. This is just me and my opinion though.

It’s totally up to you on whether you want to hold it on a long weekend, just keep in mind you might get a few more declines than usual.

I think June weather is still pretty nice, especially for pictures - you won’t be overheating if you’re outside for pictures.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally can't stand people who have their weddings on long weekends. I want to go away or do something on the long weekend, so unless I'm making an entire weekend of the wedding, I find it annoying. That's just me, though, apparently a lot of people PREFER weddings to be on long weekends since they have to go away anyway and it feels less rushed.

June isn't always that dicey - May, definitely. Go with what you think is best. If you want the guaranteed hot weather, do the July date.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well seeing as how at least for my work we simply get the 1st off - I would assume people would take the 29th and 30th off as it is more common (at least where I go) to celebrate Canada before the actual day if it doesn't land on a weekend. I doubt people would try and celebrate Canada Day on the 4th of July.. seems weird to put it on the same day as our neighbours down south.

Therefore I would take the 4th day - heck, you can have a trip to the USA for the future anniversaries and get free fireworks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics