Skip to main content
Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Travel fee for vendors

Kelly, on February 1, 2019 at 10:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
Saved

Our wedding venue is an hour outside the city, so with that comes travel fees for our vendors, which I get.

I was just given a quote from a vendor with a travel fee rate of $50 per 10km outside of Winnipeg.

By my calculations, that comes to $400. Just. For. Travel.

Please tell me that is as crazy as I think it is.

Also...this is a day of coordinator who is giving me this quote, and her prices are insanely reasonable. I do not believe she is an actual certified wedding planner. Tacking on an extra $400 would put her in the price range of actual certified wedding planners...so what's even the incentive to go with her when I could book a certified planner with reviews and experience for the same price Smiley amazing

11 Comments

Latest activity by Meghan, on September 13, 2019 at 02:47
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute

I want to say that's crazy, but my hair and MU artist is charging me a travel fee for a 30 minute drive so... I don't know. I'd say shop around and do what feels right.

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute

I agree with Allison and Tori. When I drive to offsite meetings for work, I get reimbursed ~$0.50/km. That seems to be standard in the corporate world. I don't see how this type of travel would be any different.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    That's crazy. The travel fees I'm being charged are all less than $100 and I'm having my wedding two hours out of the city.
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute

I was getting quotes for travel charges from some vendors too based on location. One décor company was going to charge $50 for travel on top of her services. Good thing she didn't provide her services as she didn't reply back at all.

I would agree that's insane of a charge and would not go with that vendor. I'm sure there is a vendor closer that can do the same amount without the extra fee. I hope it works out for you and to inform your DOC to avoid the extra charges.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    UPDATE
    I just received the following response from her re: her insane travel fees:
    “sorry it should read $8 per 1 km thank you for catching that Smiley smile

.....so now it’s over $600. Guys, I cannot with this one. She has no idea how much to charge and she can’t even do simple math to know that that is now more expensive. I will not be entrusting my wedding to her. The smiley face at the end of her answer kills me though lol.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute

As someone who charges $0.50/km for work travel, I have never charged anyone $400 for something an hour away!!!

I recently did a quote for a client to travel 5 1/2 hours (475 km) away and it'll be about 491.92, but that's reasonable considering the distance lol.

Her rate works out to $5/km which is 5-10x the normal!

My furthest vendor is our baker who is about 40 minutes out and is only charging $40 for delivery

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

RIGHT?!

I emailed her back and asked if her travel rate was correct, and said that it would come to $400 just for travel alone, and only an hour out of the city. I just said "I'm a little hung up on the travel rate to be honest".

Haven't heard back yet.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute

That is an astronomical quote for travel...5$ per km (50$ per 10 km)?! Absolutely ridiculous.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute

That is for sure WAY TOO MUCH!!! Most of the vendors that I have talked to for my wedding are charging anywhere from $0.50/ km to $2/ km!! For example - Danny's Whole Hog is travelling at most 120KM to our wedding venue therefor the amount they are charging for travel is $120.... nowhere near $400...

What did the DOC say when you told them that most people charge like $1/km? Did you mention this to them?? If not - it doesn't hurt to ask!

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Yeah, my hair and makeup girls are charging $80 for the travel, and other vendors are about the same. Which is why I was shocked at $400.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute

$400 does seem like quite a lot for a travel fee for a venue that is only an hour outside of the city.

My hairdresser is travelling an hour to get to me to do the hair for myself and 4 bridesmaids and he is charging a $75 travel fee (travelling from outside of the city into the city on a Saturday morning)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics