Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Travel fee for vendors

Kelly, on February 1, 2019 at 10:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Our wedding venue is an hour outside the city, so with that comes travel fees for our vendors, which I get.

I was just given a quote from a vendor with a travel fee rate of $50 per 10km outside of Winnipeg.

By my calculations, that comes to $400. Just. For. Travel.

Please tell me that is as crazy as I think it is.

Also...this is a day of coordinator who is giving me this quote, and her prices are insanely reasonable. I do not believe she is an actual certified wedding planner. Tacking on an extra $400 would put her in the price range of actual certified wedding planners...so what's even the incentive to go with her when I could book a certified planner with reviews and experience for the same price Smiley amazing

11 Comments

Latest activity by Meghan, on September 13, 2019 at 02:47
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to say that's crazy, but my hair and MU artist is charging me a travel fee for a 30 minute drive so... I don't know. I'd say shop around and do what feels right.

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Allison and Tori. When I drive to offsite meetings for work, I get reimbursed ~$0.50/km. That seems to be standard in the corporate world. I don't see how this type of travel would be any different.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's crazy. The travel fees I'm being charged are all less than $100 and I'm having my wedding two hours out of the city.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was getting quotes for travel charges from some vendors too based on location. One décor company was going to charge $50 for travel on top of her services. Good thing she didn't provide her services as she didn't reply back at all.

I would agree that's insane of a charge and would not go with that vendor. I'm sure there is a vendor closer that can do the same amount without the extra fee. I hope it works out for you and to inform your DOC to avoid the extra charges.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    UPDATE
    I just received the following response from her re: her insane travel fees:
    “sorry it should read $8 per 1 km thank you for catching that Smiley smile

.....so now it’s over $600. Guys, I cannot with this one. She has no idea how much to charge and she can’t even do simple math to know that that is now more expensive. I will not be entrusting my wedding to her. The smiley face at the end of her answer kills me though lol.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As someone who charges $0.50/km for work travel, I have never charged anyone $400 for something an hour away!!!

I recently did a quote for a client to travel 5 1/2 hours (475 km) away and it'll be about 491.92, but that's reasonable considering the distance lol.

Her rate works out to $5/km which is 5-10x the normal!

My furthest vendor is our baker who is about 40 minutes out and is only charging $40 for delivery

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

RIGHT?!

I emailed her back and asked if her travel rate was correct, and said that it would come to $400 just for travel alone, and only an hour out of the city. I just said "I'm a little hung up on the travel rate to be honest".

Haven't heard back yet.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is an astronomical quote for travel...5$ per km (50$ per 10 km)?! Absolutely ridiculous.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is for sure WAY TOO MUCH!!! Most of the vendors that I have talked to for my wedding are charging anywhere from $0.50/ km to $2/ km!! For example - Danny's Whole Hog is travelling at most 120KM to our wedding venue therefor the amount they are charging for travel is $120.... nowhere near $400...

What did the DOC say when you told them that most people charge like $1/km? Did you mention this to them?? If not - it doesn't hurt to ask!

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, my hair and makeup girls are charging $80 for the travel, and other vendors are about the same. Which is why I was shocked at $400.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$400 does seem like quite a lot for a travel fee for a venue that is only an hour outside of the city.

My hairdresser is travelling an hour to get to me to do the hair for myself and 4 bridesmaids and he is charging a $75 travel fee (travelling from outside of the city into the city on a Saturday morning)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics