Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie August 2021 Ontario

Traditions.....

Jasmin, on November 26, 2019 at 14:20 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 9

So I am using my moms dress for my wedding... (for saving money and i like the dress) downside.... My mother is insistent that the dress be altered by a seamstress in my hometown and sadly I now live 2.5 hours away, and the dress needs some pretty serious altering (80s dress needs a makeover) my mother says it a tradition that anything to do with the bride needs to be done in her hometown.... Well I did some research and there is NOTHING that says that anywhere. I love her dearly...but the distance is hard and i will need to make decisions and make appointments along the way... being it my dress and all i should have it close so that i can get my vision of what i want across. Is this so wrong that i want it easier for me?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Kirsten, on November 29, 2019 at 12:50
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lol well I would be SOL, we are a military family and don't really have a "hometown" and also live 2.5hrs from where my family settled in. I think that was just said to you so she could be there, but she is more than welcome to travel to you if that is what you want. planning a wedding is stressful enough and she should respect what you want to save on costs/stress

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think your mom just wants to be involved and suggesting ideas that she knows will work. Have a talk and be firm, this is your wedding also its 40 years since she has been married. Things have changed a lot.

As for the drive. I live in the outskirts of town. I have to drive an hour and forty five minutes to do anything for the wedding. Maybe a compromise and find someone in the middle you both have to drive a bit to.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is there a chance your mom is fabricating this tradition so that she has an excuse to be there to make sure she can have a say in whats done to her dress? lol just a thought.

Just be honest and say that won't work for you.

Maybe promise to send pictures and consult with her along the way so she feels involved?

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You dont need to follow all traditions you can make ur own. i wouldnt drive 2.5 hours for a seamstress your mom used 35 years ago

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s a new one to me!
    I don’t think that’s too much to ask since you’ll have to be fitted. I would suggest going to a seamstress you trust or comes highly recommend. You don’t want something to go wrong or be done a different way than you’d like on your wedding dress
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never heard of that tradition!
    Mom's get so sentimental around weddings, it'll be hard to not bruise her feelings. You would probably make that trip a minimum of 3 times, can you book them closer to times you would go home anyway?
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the tradition your mom is talking about is getting married in the bride's hometown, not necessarily having to do everything dealing with the wedding in the hometown.

My hometown is in London, and that just happened to be the best town for our wedding, since family is all over the province and beyond. We live 18 hours away now in Thunder Bay so I did have to fly down to do some wedding planning, not all of it was done in London - I'd be broke and insane!!

I imagine the 2.5 hours to get it altered is one way, so you spend 5 hours driving to and from one appointment. Some seamstresses (like mine) only worked Mon-Friday 9-5 so I had to book fittings during my breaks at work. There's no way you should be expected to drive 5 hours for alterations, you'll need to go a few times.

Try talking to your mom about how it isn't feasible for you to get it altered in your hometown.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had kind of a similar situation. Originally my wedding ceremony was going to take place in my grandparent's back yard, but after taking some measurements it just wasn't going to work with the way it's laid out. So now instead the ceremony will take place in FH's parent's yard. When my grandma heard that we'd be doing it in their yard she got so defensive and tried to guilt trip me, but I just had to put my foot down because it's what made sense. My grandma has finally come around but it took patience and time. So no, you're not in the wrong at all and I've never heard of that tradition either, but maybe it's something the women in your mom's family believe on their own? I would just try to sit her down and explain your reasons and hopefully she'll see why you're choosing to do it this way. Like, is she going to not let you have the dress if you don't do everything in your hometown?
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not wrong to want it to be easier - but at the same time it's only 2.5 hours away right? Not that bad of a drive if you ask me.

Maybe you can talk to her and show her that you've done your research and that with the hours that the seamstress' works and the gas money etc. it doesn't work for you and maybe even put it out there that if that's the case then you might have to look for a dress off the rack where you currently reside?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics