Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tonya
Curious September 2018 British Columbia

Traditional dances.....

Tonya, on September 2, 2017 at 11:59 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

Need some advice please! FH's Mom passed away in 2012, and his Step-Mom moved to Europe (home) in 2015 and cannot make the wedding (in 2 weeks).

How do we (I) handle the topic of the traditional Mother/Son dance? My mom has offered to literally step in and dance with him, just not sure how to approach the topic with him?

To honor both his parents who have both passed away I am making memory photo pins for his to wear in his suit jacket inner pocket (they are similar to the photo pins you can put on bridal bouquets). I'm also setting up a memory table at the reception.

Just not sure how to tackle the dance portion of things.....

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 1, 2018 at 08:59
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your husband is good and has your mom to be there for him too. I'm sure your mom was happy to hear that great news.
  • K
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So sweet!!! Smiley smile I love his response Smiley smile

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so sweet!!!

You can also just skip the mother / son dance if everyone is ok with that! My husband didn't do a mother / son dance just because he doesn't like to dance or be the center of attention, so even our first dance was pushing it Smiley laugh

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just wanted to ad that it's not mandatory that you have a mother/son dance. It can be skipped where the mother is not available.

• Tonya
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    ** UPDATE **Let my FH know that my mom was willing to 'step-in' and dance the mother-son dance with him. His response? "Well I figured it was going to be her, she's the closest 'mom' I've got & I'm not dancing alone!"So, I'm not freaking out about this anymore 🙂
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely speak to him first, let him know the option of your mother dancing with him, it is a good option, if he has no one here, just be understanding if he doesn't want the dance. I will be dancing with my FIL throughout the night, just not for that dance.
  • Tonya
    Tonya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He has no close family. Only relatives back east. We don't have children together as we are in our 40's. My son is 21. I'll have to ask him what he thinks/how he feels and go from there.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Bethany, what a beautiful dance and father daughter moment.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My parents have both passed. I'm dancing with my son, but if I didn't have my son, it would have been my brother or an uncle, my FH asked me to dance with his father, even though I love his dad, I don't want to dance with him, and I was honest about it. If I didn't have a close family male to dance with, I wouldn't have done the dance. It's just how I feel about the dance, others would feel different.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Did you already ask him? Or you don't know how to ask him who he wants? Does he have an aunt that was a mother figure, grandmother? Do you have kids? My husband had a special dance with his daughter and it was sweet even the DJ cried. Could he dance with a flower girl?

Traditional dances..... - 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics