Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jordan
Newbie September 2021 Saskatchewan

Too early?

Jordan, on January 13, 2020 at 22:37 Posted in Before the wedding 0 20

We got engaged a couple of months ago. We set a date that is just under two years away. Is it too early to start planning and making deposits?!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Jamie, on January 23, 2020 at 19:16
  • Jamie
    Frequent user June 2022 British Columbia
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope. We set our date Nov 2019...Our wedding is June 26 2021

I've already booked the DJ and caterer too

I've already started planning everything. I want everything to be a stress free and organized as possible when the day comes. Better planning everything early, than leaving it later and freaking out. The planning process is much more enjoyable when you aren't on a huge time crunch

• Sherisse
    Curious September 2022 Ontario
    Sherisse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh it’s never too early; I got engaged late last year and we set our date for July 2022. We want to make sure we can pay for everything without help or breaking the bank. Spacing it out has allowed our out of town guest to chose wedding events they’d like to attend (engagement party, bridal shower and wedding).
  • Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No never too early

makes sure you write down all the dates you book people tho as they might forget you booked them so far in advance.

I would suggest waiting to get your dress but venue, dj, photographer, food, way easier to book early and you get who you want then

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

While it's definitely never too early, keep in mind that your style may change and what you like now you may not like in a year or two! We booked 2 years in advance and I waited until the 1.5 mark to choose a venue and will be waiting till the spring to get to the 1 year mark to choose other stuff. Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NO!!! never too early we booked the venue right away and have been paying all our vendors through installments so when our wedding day comes we will owe very little money. this is an amazing idea!!! book your vendors now and pay them off as much as you can!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never too early! I got engaged Dec. 30th 2017, got married October 5th 2019. That was about 1 year and 9ish months of engagement AND planning. Now is the time to make those deposits so that you don't have to pay 2021 pricing!

Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the WW community! Would love to hear your proposal story over on my most recent discussion!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Absolutely not! start now!! you may even be able to secure some lower pricing because you’re starting so early!! I started planning may 2018 for my june 2020 wedding!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The earlier the better in my opinion.

We got engaged Feb 2018, and married Oct 2019. I started planning right away. Booked the venue a year and a half out and I am glad we did because we had more options for dates and times.

By the time we hit 1 year, I had everything booked and deposits paid.

By doing it early, this will give you the opportunity to get the vendors that you want, and not have to settle. You may also get better pricing. Some vendors raise their prices a little bit each year, so by booking early you avoid that

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's definitely never too soon! We got engaged at the end of September 2018 with an end of September 2020 wedding date and booked our first vendor (the venue) at Christmas 2018 - so about a year and 9 months out. And at that point local venues were already filling up quickly so the sooner the better! You can also potentially lock down 2020 pricing with some vendors, which never hurts.

• Honeylie
    Frequent user August 2021 Quebec
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First of all, CONGRATS!

My fiance and I got engaged in June 2019, and are getting married in May 2021!

Depending on your budget, what venue/dress/food you want, 2 years sometimes Not enough! (cue Friends episode where Monica, Phoebe, and Rachel put their name down on a 5-year waiting list at a venue haha).

I would say to start researching the cities and venues that seems interesting to you, that way when the wedding is only one year away you will not stress as much!

Good luck Smiley heart

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all! It's never too early to start planning.

I booked my venues around this time last year, so I was around a year and 9 months away from the wedding at the time of booking.

The only thing I wouldn't do this early is dress shop, because your style and body type could change too much

• Ashley
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Alana
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We booked a local photographer, Lauren Garbutt. I emailed so many photographers and the pricing was all over the map. Photography is something we are willing to spend on so we budgeted for that. We picked Lauren because she fit with the style of photography that I love, we really clicked when we met with her and her prices worked with our budget.
  • Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mind me asking what company you used?

• Alana
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We did! We got an amazing deal!
  • Ashley
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you get your engagement photos as a package with your wedding day photos?

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The earlier the better I think. We have 2019 pricing for our 2021 wedding. We booked our venue, photographer, hair and makeup and DJ about 19 months before. I have been watching different wedding sites for deals they have. Is their semiannual sale better or the same as black Friday? I know what time of year I want to book lots of other things.
  • Alana
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Another great point. When we booked they honored this year’s pricing which was a huge bonus!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's too early.
    Locking in vendors early is a great way to save some money and to spread out the total cost of the wedding. If the two of you know what venue or photographer you want and you've got the money for a deposit I'd say go for it!
  • Alana
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged on Aug. 4/19 and we are getting married on Aug. 1/21. We already have our venue booked and we booked our photographer and did our engagement photos! We are excited!! When we started looking at venues we found that some of the more popular dates and weekends were already booked for 2021.

I’d say it’s never too early to start shopping around. If you find someone or something you love and it’s something you don’t think you will change your mind about (I.e. a dress) I don’t see any problem!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics