Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

To say grace or not to say grace at dinner?

Vanessa, on August 9, 2017 at 20:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

My FH is not religious what so ever. I apologize if I am offending anyone first of all. I had to ask his mother if he was baptized and what he was baptized. Turns out we were baptized the same. I am not all that religious but we both respect it at other people's places. My FH has brought it to my attention that he does not want grace to be said at our wedding. He says its our day and grace does not need to be said but I have a feeling that it may offend some of the older generation. Thoughts? Is anyone else not saying grace?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Shelby, on August 16, 2017 at 15:49
  • Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will not be saying grace, I was baptized and he wasn't. I agree with you FH, it's your day and it's not something you need to do. If there are people that usually say grace in their home, I would never stop them from saying it on their own at their table.

• Daniela
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was raised Catholic and my new hubby wasn't raised in any faith but we have decided to say Grace because it's kind of a wedding tradition. Neither of us are religious at all but still opted to have Grace be said.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are most definitely not saying grace. I was not baptized (and am not religious at all). My FH is not religious at all but was baptized.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really don't think people would get offended if you didn't. Your wedding day is about you as a couple and people will respect that, I think. My fiancé and I are religious so we will include a lot of things that incorporate our faith, but I think that people generally understand that a wedding is about the couple and will respect that if they have religious differences.
  • Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally agree with everyone, do what makes you most comfortable. My FH's family is religious and always says grace before meals (which we participate in when we are there), but when they are at our house, we don't do it. People are a lot more accommodating than you might think and I doubt you will have many that are offended if they already know you aren't very religious. You do you girl! That's what this day is all about!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Sonja. If it is genuinely important to people, they will do so privately before the meal.

My fiance and I aren't religious so we won't be doing one, but if we went to a wedding where there was grace before the meal, we wouldn't be upset or anything. I think people are really coming around to varying traditions and preferences when it comes to weddings.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancés family is pretty religious but we are also skipping this. We decided it our day and we will do what makes us happy. Unfortunately, it might come back to bite you in the butt but honestly, I'm sure they will forget about it shortly. It honestly isn't that big of a deal.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think there is a wrong answer here. If you say grace or lead a blessing, there will be guests who will not personally participate because it is not a part of their faith. And if you skip grace there will possibly be people for whom this a very important part of their beliefs and will probably say their own blessing to themselves. You cannot accommodate the faith and beliefs of every one of your guests, so do what feels right for you and your FH.

• Cassidi
    Beginner September 2017 Alberta
    Cassidi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with what the others have said about doing whatever feels right for you on your day! I would also add that I think the tradition of grace may be starting to become a lot less of a thing. I've been to probably fifteen weddings in the last two and a half years and I would say less thank 25% of them had grace
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to worry about everyone's feelings too. Over the years I've discovered that you can't please all the people all the time. Now I do what pleases me and my FH and that's all that matters.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the reply. I'm always worried about offending people and making everyone happy but like my FH says its our day and you need to worry less.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be saying grace at our wedding. Don't worry about offending people. Do what you think is best for you and those who normally would say grace before the meal will do it privately anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics